SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RUGER Redhawk .44 Magnum vs .45 Colt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RUGER Redhawk .44 Magnum vs .45 Colt Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
I own the .45/.45 Redhawk. It has always suffered from light strikes. Ruger has "fixed it" twice. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Super Redhawk in a dedicated .45 Colt.

Seems like a common issue with that model and the reason I never got one even though I really like the idea.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I’m confused. Is the question about 45 ACP (rimless), or is it 45 Long Colt (rimmed) ?

It is my understanding the light primer strikes are limited to the convertible Model #5032 Redhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP when firing 45 auto with moon clips. With each response, I'm more certain the .44 Magnum was the correct choice for my requirements. Thanks!

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand your dilemma.

In BigBore revolvers [not .357, but larger], I started with a .44mag Ruger Super Redhawk, 7.5" barrel.

I still have it and love it.

Redhawks didn't fit my hand right, even though I liked the look better.

I decided I wanted a SA version of it, and got a Super Blackhawk. Quite different, but nice.

Then, I started thinking of the 'next best thing'.

I was where you were.

I looked heavily at the .44colt/.45acp Redhawk. However, I didn't like the .44colt round THAT much, and figured I'd use .45acp the most.

Also, I realized I probably wouldn't use it more than once a year [too many other options].

I figured it would never be a defensive gun- but a range 'toy'. I'd rely on my GP100 for defense.

And I realized that a Super Blackhawk was simply fun.

SO, I picked up a Blackhawk .44colt/.45acp factory combo when my LGS was moving it out for $475. They are listed as over $270 less MSRP than the Redhawk combo, and don't have the reputation for primer issues on .45acp.

For MY uses, this was a perfect compromise. I had the convertibility, but saved $200 at my LGS, roughly, for something that would be used once a year or so.

This took care of my 'bug' on the issue. I'm good now. However, this may not work for you.

Good luck!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWG
posted Hide Post
I've had the Redhawk 45 Colt 4.2" barrel for a bit over a year now. Mostly my fishing and backpacking gun for the Sierras. For clarification, not the convertible, 45 Colt only. So far almost exclusively reloads, 8.5 grains of Unique and a 250 grn LRNFP for fun and been experimenting with the 270 RCBS SAA. So far 9.5 grn of Unique for 975 FPS and picked up some 2400 to try next. Trying to get around 1000 FPS with the 270 grn. It's a sweet shooter...highly recommend it!!

Posts: 212 | Registered: February 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update:

I got the longer firing pin from Hamilton Bowen. My range staff couldn't install it as they didn't have the tool to remove the bushing or the means to fabricate one (HB sells a tool now, as well, if you need one).

I gave it to a buddy of mine who's a gunsmith and he figured out pretty quickly the bushing wasn't fully screwed in from the factory. That likely contributed to my light strikes. With the bushing properly installed and the longer firing pin, there was a LOT of protrusion. He's shaved the new firing pin so it's at the max end of "in spec" and the gun is working 100% with hard-primered ammo like S&B. Seems to have resolved the issue, although I don't have it back yet and am going with his update.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fz4vgq:
That's what 44 Special ammo is for.....

This!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I like the .44Mag/.44Spec option.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
I have one of the 8 shot .357s also. Love it.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the redhawk in .41 magnum.

.45 Colt in factory loads is fairly anemic, but in ruger pistols it can be loaded to it's postential, which exceeds that of the .44 magnum.

.45 Colt has value if you hand load.

I have .45 colt in various single actions (Vaqueros, new Vqueros, Blackhawks, etc. Same for .44 and .41. My preference is the .41.

I wouldn't waste time going with .45acp; there's no need if you're loading for .45 colt because you can load a very wide range of capability into that cartridge without needing to go to to another.

.44 does offer the option of .44 special, which can also be loaded with some kick, but offers plenty of factory options.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I'm more convinced than ever the .44 Magnum was the correct choice to scratch my Redhawk itch. I don't reload and will likely shoot the revolver infrequently at best. A box of .44's (either Magnum or Special) now and again makes good sense. Thanks for the input!

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The correct answer in this thread is... start reloading. Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post