SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RUGER Redhawk .44 Magnum vs .45 Colt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RUGER Redhawk .44 Magnum vs .45 Colt Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I recently purchased a new Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum - not so much because I wanted a .44 Magnum, but rather I wanted a Redhawk. I've always been fascinated with Ruger revolvers and the big bore Redhawk appealed to me. Let's call it an impulse purchase. Now that I have the revolver home, I'm wondering if the versatility of Ruger's new(er) .45 Colt/.45 ACP Redhawk may have made more sense for an occasional range toy. The .44 Magnum certainly offers more factory ammo choices and I've read reports of misfires due to light primer strikes while using .45 ACP in moon clips. Other than the ability to fire less expensive .45 ACP loads, does the .45 Colt make more sense than the .44 Mag as an occasional range revolver? Thanks for your input!

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about whether a 44 or 45 Colt make a good range gun. In either case the 45 ACP as a range gun makes the most sense of those two choices. I just made a similar choice, I picked up a Redhawk 8 shot 357 and a New Vaquero convertible 9mm/357.

I like the idea of using cheaper, more readily available ammo. I don't like the idea that 45 ACP doesn't work reliably in them. I wonder if that is internet lore or reality.

People have been using 45 ACP on moonclips forever with no problems so I don't see why it would have a problem in a 45 Colt. Hell, the 9 mm cylinder for the New Vaquero just headspaces on the casing, obviously no moonclip, and I have never had an issue. I don't see why it would be an issue on a 45 Colt cylinder.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy my Redhawk .44 magnum and frequently shoot 44 specials in it for the lesser recoil. I have the 7.5 inch barrel and it is quite accurate. I shoot it frequently at the range, but not as much as my Ruger SR 22. I have not shot the .45 colt.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If you're shooting factory ammo, the 44 wins.

The .45 ACP out of a Redhawks has a lot stacked against it in terms of shooting accurately.

If you're a handloader, in the Redhawk, the .45 colt can do anything the 44 mag can, and then some, at lower pressures.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I love shooting my .44mag Super Redhawk. Definitely not a practical gun IMO but fun to shoot. I'm actually pretty accurate with it but usually only put 50 rounds through per range trip. Only comes out a few times a year.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fz4vgq
posted Hide Post
That's what 44 Special ammo is for.....

Posts: 2463 | Location: Winter Wonderland | Registered: April 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I don't know about whether a 44 or 45 Colt make a good range gun.

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply the Redhawk would be my exclusive range gun. More to the point, I was attempting to indicate it would primarily be used as a limited range revolver rather than a hunting revolver. While the notion of .45 ACP versatility appeals to me - with potential accuracy/reliability concerns, I'm not sure the .45 Colt Redhawk is the ideal revolver for launching the shorter .45 ACP cartridge. Thanks to member cas for reaffirming the .44 Mag was the correct choice for my (very) limited requirements. Since I don't plan to hunt or reload, a box of factory .44 Magnum loads down range every now and then will certainly scratch my big bore itch.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own the .45/.45 Redhawk. It has always suffered from light strikes. Ruger has "fixed it" twice. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Super Redhawk in a dedicated .45 Colt.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have RedHawks in 44 mag & 45 Colt. I like and use my 45 Colt more, mostly because I like the 4.2” barrel over the 7.5” on the 44.

I reload about all my Ammo, most is modest or light with the 45 Colt, then up to my 265 grain hardcast loads.

I sometimes help with black bear hunts, guide assist. When doing so, the Redhawk in 45 Colt is the gun I carry.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Redhawk in 45 Colt/45 ACP. Beautiful revolver but I could never get the 45 ACP to function reliably with moonclips. Either get light primer strikes or the trigger was extremely heavy when using moonclips. Decided to trade it for something else.

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44 mag that I carry in the woods for bear defense. A great-shooting gun with a great trigger. No light strikes or problems of any kind shooting it. 44 specials are nice with this gun, having little recoil. For defense, I carry 305 grain Buffalo Bore hardcast heavy magnums. Punishing to shoot but it won't be noticed if the chips are down. I really like this Ruger. I can't speak to the Colt comparison.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
I own the .45/.45 Redhawk. It has always suffered from light strikes. Ruger has "fixed it" twice. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the Super Redhawk in a dedicated .45 Colt.

This thread reminded me I have been meaning to contact Bowen for an extended firing pin. Finally got that done, so I'll update if it remedies light strikes (which I'm pretty sure it will).

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Since I don't plan to hunt or reload, a box of factory .44 Magnum loads down range every now and then will certainly scratch my big bore itch.

You made the right choice, unless you're into handloading, the 44 magnum would be your best bet.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You made the right choice, unless you're into handloading, the 44 magnum would be your best bet.

Agreed. The Redhawk is an excellent revolver. If you are using store bought ammunition, 44 magnum makes the most sense. I'm a big fan of large bore ruger revolvers.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
The .44 Magnum certainly offers more factory ammo choices and I've read reports of misfires due to light primer strikes while using .45 ACP in moon clips.

For anyone who has light strikes and wants to put in the longer firing pin, Hamilton Bowen is now selling a tool for $35 to unscrew the screw in bushing on the newer Redhawks, including the .45 Auto/.45 Colt.

posted Hide Post
So does the lightstrike happens across all Redhawk calibers or just the .45?

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’m confused. Is the question about 45 ACP (rimless), or is it 45 Long Colt (rimmed) ?

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had light primer strikes in my RedHawks, 45 Colt or 44 mag.

I also shoot 45 Schofield in my 45 Colt. They are available for the cowboy action shooters, or one can handload them. It’s like the 38spcl in a 357 mag deal.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
So does the lightstrike happens across all Redhawk calibers or just the .45?

It's not every Redhawk, but every Redhawk has a higher potential for it if tolerances stack wrong. End shake, transfer bar, and firing pin tolerances stack up to make like strikes. Super Redhawks don't have the same issue, different spring set up (it's like the GP100).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I’m confused. Is the question about 45 ACP (rimless), or is it 45 Long Colt (rimmed) ?

Redhawk model #5032 shoots both. Colt without moon clips, Auto with moon clips.