SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Newest member of the mousegun/LCP collective...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newest member of the mousegun/LCP collective... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
Long story short...over the summer I have started walking again, both as a stress reliever (to get some daily routine back in the mix) as well as just plain exercise (I'm doing 6 miles a day at a steady pace Smile...

We have a great well maintained 9 mile walking trail...pretty safe...but from time to time you cross paths with people who just don't look they fit (usually transient types and small groups of yutes standing around)...

I always carry...but with the change in the season I have started wearing sweats without a belt and the G27 is somewhat heavy/bulky for sweats pocket carry (at least for me)...I even tried toting the super high quality Davis .32 auto that belonged to my dad (it met all of his criteria for a defensive pistol...it was cheap and...well, it was cheap) that went to me after he passed last year. But despite being small, I think it is cast from a zinc/depleted uranium alloy for extra heft with extra care to square off and sharpen each and every corner (to inflict maximum damage if you need to throw it at your attacker after the six 73 grain FMJ Hanson (anybody remember the Hanson Cartridge Company) .32 slugs kill him, albeit slowly...soooo, I'm not carrying it while walking...

I vaguely remember saying this would be a "long story short"...but it has turned out to be somewhat long after all...so to continue

Enter the LCP...I know the .380 is better than the .32 and not quite up to the 9X19. But I could not find a 9MM pistol in the $250 price range as small and light as the LCP II...plus I've always been a Ruger guy. I have shot the standard LCP (liked it overall) and while it would fit my needs at a cheaper price point (currently $169 at Buds) there were some things I liked better on the LCP II that made the extra $70 or so worth it...mostly the lock back on the last round and the trigger is somewhat better...the sights are better, but that was not a big consideration in this type of pistol, at least not to me. The extra texture on the grip frame is a big plus also. The included Ruger pocket holster feels well in my walking duds and I think it will stay put while I "prancersise" down the walking trail Wink...

Another plus is there seems to be be some good .380 defensive ammo on the market and I still have my reloading dies and stuff from my Makarov days (another little pistol I regret letting get away Frown)...at the range I kept 7 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ inside 5" on a paper plate at 21 feet (give or take) with zero issues...I'm going to have to shoot it a good bit to get used to its size...the front sight will get a dab of paint too...

It's small, thin and light weight and fits perfectly in the Condor belt pouch I sometimes use to carry my cell phone and iPod when I'm out...and as the saying goes "the best pistol to have is the one you don't leave at home"...this little pistol fits that to a tee Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
Nice purse, similar to the one my wife uses. Her PPS fits in hers.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have the II model also, and it's worked for me.

I've posted a few times about it, I added one of the Hogue Handalls to it. The new style.

Also had finished the slide and barrel in Moly Resin Black, but wanted something more durable, so I recentlt sent the slide and barrel to Mahovsky's Metalife to be hard chromed.

Can't wait to get it back from Mr. Mahovsky.

I don't like pocket or off body carry, was carrying it in an IWB Kydex, which really wore the Moly Resin finish.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Now that you've bought your new gun Wink go buy a Smartcarry holster and keep toting the real one lol

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11445 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Original LCP owner here but it’s recently been mostly supplanted by a G42.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned the keltec version, which turned out to be unbelievably cheap and poor in construction. Recently I purchased an original LCP from Palmetto on one of their promotions, and this last weekend I took it to the range with a few other pistols. I shot it and my boys shot it, including my son who had just come back from his first deployment.

I haven't shot the LCP II.

My impression of the LCP was that it's a nearly clone of the keltec P3AT, not quite as cheaply made, but minimal. It was 100% reliable during our session, and from about 15 yards, very easy to control and keep on a 1/3 size IPSC steel target. Surprisingly, the boys found it easy to shoot, too, and each had a favorable impression.

It was not easy to reload, meaning that the mag had to be stabbed several times to click in. My impression is that it's whatever is in the pistol, don't count on getting anything else into it, especially under stress.

The 380 is not a nuclear weapon; it's a bit underpar compared to a .38 special, but there are always tradeoffs; the LCP is very small, very light, and very concealable. I shot hardball and gold dots through the LCP, and it cycled fine on everything. I think the trigger seems a bit better than the keltec version, and though it's been a while since I shot the keltec, the trigger stroke was shorter than I remembered; points to the ruger.

Sights are better on the ruger, though still nearly non existent; the LCPII seems to have better sights, etc. The LCP/II may be a good choice for pocket use; there are few occasions when it wouldn't be simple to carry. If it's reliable and easy to carry, that fills most of the bill. It's something I'd drop in a side pocket, probably wouldn't make my primary carry, but for the price, it's hard to beat.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I carry an LCP almost every day. I run 5 times a week and do so toting an LCP in a Remora Micro Clip. Draw string running shorts have no problem carrying the added weight. On days I can’t carry a gun when running I tuck a Microtech ultratech in my waist band.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit more than two years ago I started walking for exercies and have lost nearly 50 lbs. and my current VO2 Max is 38, not bad for a 62 year old ex smoker. The first summer and winter I carried my P239-40 IWB but as my speed increased that became more of an issue. Now I carry a Ruger LC9S Pro in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. BTW as an older white male my tush is a memory so I wear jeans for my Walk/Runs. As comfortable as sweats would be I suspect that just a couple of quarters would be all that is needed to pull some sweats down.

If you ever get to the point where you start worrying about sweats not being secure then I can HIGHLY recommend the Ruger LC9S, it is a fantastic 9mm. The trigger is the best I've ever shot with in a striker fired pistol and with at least 1200 rounds downrange I have yet to have one single malfunction. Accuracy is also quite good but I have found the sights are regulated for 147 grain ammunition so when shooting with 115 grain range ammo a bit of sight picture tweaking is requited to hit center. BTW 3 dots in an equilateral triangle with the front at the top.

Actually IMO Ruger builds a much finder firearm than most seem to believe. After getting the LC9S I started reloading 9mm so I figured why not get the 9mm SR1911. The 1911 is a real hoot to shoot, the recoil is almost like a 22 and the accuracy is excellent. The SR1911 also slides into the IWB holster I carried the P239 in so if I want something with a bit more ammo on board for a run I can take the 1911.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post