SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question for 12131. Why P228’s?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for 12131. Why P228’s? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I got to wondering reading the Proto thread and it’s crossed my mind before. Why is the P228 seemingly your “drug/collectible” of choice if you will? It’s a fairly pedestrian firearm all things considered.

I only ask out of curiosity and I always love hearing about people’s passions and the why’s and what’s that drive their passions if you will. I just really enjoy hearing about and seeing a knowledgeable person expound on what they love.

So why the P228 in a sea of wonderful firearms, not that the P228 isn’t a wonderful firearm in and of itself.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The P228 has characteristics that many other pistols also have, like reliability, accuracy, durability, capacity, compactness, balance, and relatively lightweight. So why is it The One?

The classic SIG Sauer folded slide is a thing of beauty. The profile, the lines, corners and angles all came together to make it look just about perfect. The P220 is too big for the capacity. The P226, for its high capacity, is still large. The P225, beautiful, compact and well balanced, is a little low on capacity. The P228, same compactness as the P225, has almost the same capacity of the P226. So, the P228 is it, to me. Now, if they had made PROTO-1 successfully into the commercially available P226C, that would have been even better, as I mentioned in the P228 factoids thread when comparing PROTO-1 to the P228. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The only Sig have left is my 228.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Perfection is oddly boring.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Sig 228 one of the best all around 9mm ever made. Reliable, accurate and feels good in the hand.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of the P series sigs, and Thanks this forum and to Q my grail gun became A Nickel P228. They are beauties. Thanks Q!

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I hope to have a P228 someday...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with the 228 as perfect but the Sig 220 all stainless is. You know you will eventually need a hammer and the 220 is one.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Appreciate it. I totally get it just peaked my curiosity.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned many WG Sigs, including multiple P228’s. The P228 is possibly the best balanced for most people. That being said, I do feel the whole WG Sig line is more legend than substance. It’s an aluminum frame and a folded steel slide. Quality is average at best in my opinion, at least compared to the high end Sigs.

The mystique has worked in my favor though, since I doubled my money selling them.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I completely agree about folded-slide compact sigs. The heft and balance is pretty much perfect. I have a P229 with a milled stainless slide, and it feels a lot more top-heavy than my folded-slide guns.

Sadly, I don't own a P228...I kind of missed the boat on that one. I should have bought one back when they were cheap, but I didn't, and now they're just outrageous. Maybe someday I'll stumble across one in a small LGS somewhere. I do have a P6/P225 and a P245, which are both supurb.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a P229 with a milled stainless slide, and it feels a lot more top-heavy than my folded-slide guns.

I felt the same way with my 229R, missing the perfect balance of my 228. So I had a gunsmith cut lightening ports in the slide, and it feels great now.

P229R Final - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Four years ago this month, I won a 228 in one of 12131 great karmas. Since them, I have had a chance to visit with him a time or 2 via email.

It is one of my favorite Sigs.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty good question?

I got my first P228 not too long after I moved to VA, (2002ish). I had a brand new CZ-75 Compact that I could not get to cycle. I tried everything, took it to the armorers at the gun store where I bought it and they tried everything.

The store let me switch guns. I think I had to add like $50 to the exchange.

After that I got a couple more, then I started buying P229's.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I've always been curious as to which model P228 Q prefers the most... is it the nickel plated P228 (based on rarity), the Afton Arms stainless steel frame P228 (sure wish Jaymie were still around) or the earliest / latest P228 based on serial number?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I completely agree about folded-slide compact sigs. The heft and balance is pretty much perfect. I have a P229 with a milled stainless slide, and it feels a lot more top-heavy than my folded-slide guns.

This is by far the most often cited difference between the P228 & P229, and it is noticeably true when handling an unloaded pistol. That said, I do wonder if the same can be said when both pistols have fully loaded magazines. I've never handled both at the same time (I don't own a P229), but I'm skeptical that weight distribution/balance would be dramatically different once the pistols are loaded. While the P229 weighs 2.8 oz more than the P228, with all of that difference in the Slide, 13+1 rounds of 9mm ammo (124 gr.) weighs ~ 6.4 oz., a difference of ~3.6 oz. Seriously, if you're adding ~ 6 oz of weight in the Pistol Grip w/ a loaded Magazine, it's difficult to imagine a P229 feeling 'top heavy' with 13+1 rounds of 9mm on board...

That said, the P228 is a AWESOME Pistol, and one of the greatest SIG's of all time! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Of all my Sigs that have come and gone over the years, my trusty folded slide P228 has never budged. Something magical about it to me. It's no safe queen, just a reliable shooter that fits me well.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I only kind of agree. I notice the difference but for me the proof is in the shooting. I shoot my KE P228 and my P229s equally well. I only own one P228 but I have four P229s. As long as it doesn't wear that fugly long extractor of the dash-one era guns, the P229 is more than good enough for me.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying that the P229 is in any way a bad gun...it's not. I can shoot it fine, and it's likely a stronger design. I just prefer the feel and balance of the folded slide guns. There's also less reciprocating mass with the lighter folded slide. Its not a significant amount, but it's enough to be noticeable. I was just playing with my P245 alongside a P220 compact last night, and my view on this was re-inforced. We're talking a very small degree of difference here, but the question was why the P228, and for me the weight and balance is enough to give the folded slide guns a slight edge over the milled stainless ones.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
For me, the difference was not just handling, but also actual shooting. When I switched to the 229 (my friend has the 228 now), I noticed that although the top-heaviness made the gun slightly less pointable, it also kept the muzzle down on successive shots. So the 228 was better for single shots, the 229 had the advantage for rapid fire.

Determined to have the best of both worlds, I had lightening slots cut into the slide, and a pair of recoil ports drilled into the barrel. Now the 229 has that balanced feel, yet with controlled recoil as well.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."