SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911s and full length guide rods.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911s and full length guide rods. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's happened, but I haven't yet heard of a guide rod stopping a 1911 from working. I'd have to say that it boils down to personal preference, any advantages seem about as consequential as the disadvantages.

It makes me wonder how other pistols would work without guide rods, as I can think of quite a few that have them as part of the assembly.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
But if you find a gun assembled cutaway diagram, you'll see that the gap where the spring is unsupported is only two or three coils wide.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
Makes disassembly more difficult...

The Dawson tool less guide rod actually makes disassembly easier.

Lock the slide back
Press and hold the tab on the bottom of the guide rod
Release the slide from the slide lock
Now the slide isn't under spring pressure, which makes it a little easier to get things lined up to remove the slide stop.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Best thing I ever did was get rid of the FLGR.

To me it was nothing but a PIA.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I change out the FLG's on every Loaded Springfield I buy. I did have one loosen up once on my while shooting. Putting in the GI set up is easy.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
There is a reason the best custom 1911 gunsmiths do not use them. They are pointless.

Define "best custom gunsmiths". I have two SVI's and each has a flgr.

Burton, Yost.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
There are about 4 unsupported coils in a full size 1911. Or, about 7/16".

Standard GI is just fine technically.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:But if you find a gun assembled cutaway diagram, you'll see that the gap where the spring is unsupported is only two or three coils wide.

MASSIVE1

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like them and the extra weight up front.

But I wouldn't call them necessary oor worthless.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had a very weird idea. Shooters who like FLGR should get them. People who don't like them should not. Razz

Choice is good. God bless America.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Just had a very weird idea. Shooters who like FLGR should get them. People who don't like them should not. Razz

That may even hold true for different calibers!

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
quote:

That may even hold true for different calibers!

An astute observation, sir.

Also polymer guns, pistol sights, mag capacity, AIWB carry, rails, WML, etc. I'm sure there are some I missed. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Whoever designed the 2 piece guide rod is a moron. My dads Springfield came with that. It's fallen apart while at the range. Hate it. I finally replaced it for him last year with quality GI parts.

My S&W has a one piece full length and I like it. It's no harder to disassemble than GI and uses no tools and I like the idea of the spring being fully supported. The slide cycles buttery smooth.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:

Best line of the week!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
I prefer flat wire springs, particularly in Commander size guns, these require FLGR.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If flat-wire recoil springs require full length guide rods, why does Bill Wilson sell flat-wire recoil spring kits with GI length guide rods?

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
No preference for me. I have 1911s with standard GI guide rods and FLGRs. Both types have worked fine through many thousand rounds. I've never had a 2-piece guide rod in a 1911. Mine have all been 1-piece.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Infinity firearms only offers 1911s with a full length rod.
So in conclusion...

Exactly this, I don't retro-fit 1911 guide rods, but if the maker/designers decided a full length guide rod made sense to them, I don't have grounds for argument.
I have an Infinity, a S&W Performance Shop, and a reworked Colt by Clark Custom, All came with various versions of solid guide rods. Only the Clark two piece is any hassle to take down.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I can't begin to fathom why the 2 piece even exists. It's a pos that adds a failure point to the handgun. There is no point to it. The one piece is just fine and dandy if one wants full length...

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I can't begin to fathom why the 2 piece even exists. It's a pos that adds a failure point to the handgun. There is no point to it. The one piece is just fine and dandy if one wants full length...

I think for the sole reason that if the gun gets a really hard jam (locked up), you can still take it apart to clear it.

IMO FLGR's are a part in search of a problem. I have one in 1 one my 1911's that came with it, but see zero benefit to it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post