SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Most innovative, but serious handguns....?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most innovative, but serious handguns....? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
What do you consider an innovative, but serious handgun that has actually made it in the market?

An example of the opposite would be perhaps the Hudson H9, an example of the former the HK P7.

Indicate why you think the gun either made it or didn't.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Have to give a nod to Glock.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Glock due to it’s ubiquity.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
Have to give a nod to Glock.

I agree with this 100%.

Glock changed the direction of handguns. Just about every major manufacturer now offers pistols incorporating elements of the Glock design. Polymer frame, striker fired, bladed trigger safety, ...

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Steyr M9/S9/L9 series.

Still has some very interesting/ahead of it’s time features (low bore axis, modular sub-assembly, trapezoidal sights, etc).

EDIT: CQB60, your signature doesn’t have a line break, just a long unbroken line you typed out. It makes mobile viewing very funky - could you fix?

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the somewhat forgotten - yet classic Savage 1907. An early pocket design, the Savage competed with other .32 auto pistols of the day; specifically the Colt 1903. Its unusual profile and striker firing system were the result of designers working around existing Colt/Browning patents. The Savage tag line was "Ten Shots Quick!" which emphasized their innovative 10-round staggered, detachable magazine - quite possibly an industry first. The 1907 survived for ~21 years until it could no longer compete with Colt and others. As an aside, Jude Law's character Harlan Maquire carried a Savage 1907 in Road to Perdition.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Boberg pistols would be my pick.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
What was the old german pistol with the steep grip angle and the toggle action?
The first one was a .30 cal right? but then they changed to a .355?
I think the .355 got kind of popular for a while.

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Innovative?

• Calico
  • Glock
  • Mechtech
  • Tripp Research
  • Walther
  • Browning
  • Arsenal
  • Buco
  • Grendel
  • Boberg
  • Cobray
  • Colt
  • Volquartsen
  • Magnum Research

Made it?

• Glock
  • Colt

•  
    Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Gracie Allen is my
    personal savior!
    posted Hide Post
    The easy answer for me is the switch-barrel Dan Wesson revolvers.

A less-easy answer for me is the tip-barrel Berettas. Did they really make it on the market? I don't know - all I can tell you is that they were never ubiquitous but there's a relatively steady supply of them on ChodeChoker that sell for the kind of money that would get you a new HK.

I'd like to throw in the Thompson/Center Contender and its progeny, but I'm not sure if that was an innovative idea or a refinement of existing ideas married to improved metallurgy. For all of the firearms marketed as 'pocket rifles' in the century that preceded it, though, I think the T/C Contender was probably the first successful rendition of that concept.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    Mauser C96, the first large-scale commercially and militarily successful semiauto pistol.

After about a half dozen other prior attempts at early semiauto pistol designs that fell short, the C96 ended up being the first semiauto to be reliable, functional, and ergonomic enough for serious use.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    BHP. Its high capacity magazine set the stage for other designs to follow.
    Walther PP series. First practical DA/SA trigger system.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Whack-Job
    Whisperer
    Picture of 18DAI
    posted Hide Post
    ASP 9mm made by Paris Theodore, originally and later by ASP in Appleton WI.

The first descreet compact carry 9mm. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    P365 magazine design made it unique.

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Great Equalizer
    Picture of colt_saa
    posted Hide Post
    The Walther PP family of firearms brought a double action trigger system to market in 1929

The PP family design has remained mostly unchanged for the past 91 years

I am also a huge fan of what Arne Boberg has done with his bullpup design

------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
    SWCA

356TSW.com
    45talk.com
    RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Delta-3
    posted Hide Post

The Webley-Fosbery. An ingenious design that suffered from coming out right before semi-autos became available, which offered much more than the revolver.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frequent Denizen
    of the Twilight Zone
    Picture of SIGWolf
    posted Hide Post
    Perhaps this is taken for granted, but the P320, with it's modular design seems pretty innovative to me.

That it is striker fired is not new, or with polymer frame, that's not new, calibers aren't new, but the removable FCU that is the core of the package seems pretty innovative.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Laugo alien pistol

Posts: 149 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 149 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    S&W Model 39, it seemed to jumpstart the transition to 9MM, in law enforcement in the US....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post