SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trigger Bounce?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger Bounce? Login/Join 
posted
I let a buddy try my P238 at the range, and while he was shooting it, he said he had a "double shot". I'm guessing it might have been recoil causing the trigger to bounce to the reset quickly while he still had pressure on the trigger. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? Any suggestions?

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I've had that happen before with a really fine 1911 trigger. It happened when I was unfamiliar with the pistol. Once I shot it more I got used to it and it never happened again.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Bump stock?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have had that happen with my P226 9mm Tac Ops. In fact, it has happened to me with any of my Sigs that have an SRT.
never happened with my P250 in any caliber.

My thought are, that I am the problem. Maybe the case with your friend?

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Probably a combination of a short reset and limp wristing the pistol plus recoil equals double shot...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

More than likely what I was doing at the time.
From memory, when I am not focusing on what I am doing, mechanics wise, it is more likely to happen.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The nub of the gen 1 MSH that locates the sear spring can wear down. The sear spring then creeps out of position. Double-firing has been reported as a consequence by some folks. The fix is to buy a gen 2 MSH and sear spring. Those don't cost much, and SIG CS might even send them to you for free.

Another effect of the sear spring creep is that the trigger pull gets lighter.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Any idea as to round count when that wear down can occur or is it totally random??

BTW, thanks for this input.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The wear of the gen 1 MSH nub is unpredictable. Many P238s never suffer it. It's much more common on the P938s (which have the identical MSH).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I could not find any data on the P226.

More and more, as I think about it, I am tending to think it is my fault.
Back to the wrist exercises!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
The nub of the gen 1 MSH that locates the sear spring can wear down. The sear spring then creeps out of position. Double-firing has been reported as a consequence by some folks. The fix is to buy a gen 2 MSH and sear spring. Those don't cost much, and SIG CS might even send them to you for free.

Another effect of the sear spring creep is that the trigger pull gets lighter.

I'll have to look at my MSH. I doubt that it's the Gen 1 design because the gun date is Oct 2016. Good idea worth checking.

I bought the gun used, but it didn't appear to have had much use. I guess a worn sear or maybe a weak main spring could contribute to making a double shot. It happens so fast that your not even sure it's happened unless you keep track of how many rounds you've shot from the mag and stop and count what's left.

Posts: 36 | Location: upstate SC | Registered: July 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talked to my buddy today who originally reported the double shot with my p238. Seems he has 3 other pistols, two from S&P one from Colt, and has experienced the same event with all of them occasionally. He thinks it's not a problem that is specific to my gun, but rather something caused by the operator when not paying attention to his shooting fundamentals.

Not sure I totally agree, but it's somewhat reassuring that it may not be a problem with my pistol. I'll base my final opinion on how it runs for me.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by modbuilder:
Talked to my buddy today who originally reported the double shot with my p238. Seems he has 3 other pistols, two from S&P one from Colt, and has experienced the same event with all of them occasionally. He thinks it's not a problem that is specific to my gun, but rather something caused by the operator when not paying attention to his shooting fundamentals.

Not sure I totally agree, but it's somewhat reassuring that it may not be a problem with my pistol. I'll base my final opinion on how it runs for me.

Yep, I’d say he’s got the right of it. Evryone’s probably done it at least once. I did it lately with a P224 after Robert Burke did a carry action job on it and put in a QTR trigger. No creep whatsoever. It makes me look good when I do my part.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post