SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P210 trigger characteristics?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P210 trigger characteristics? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
What is it about the P210 trigger that makes folks like it so much? I recall that member Ed Fowler said that he preferred it to the X5 trigger (presumably an X5 L1). From what I’ve read, it breaks at ~3.5 lbs – not particularly light for a target pistol. I’ve also read that its reset is a bit lengthy. Still, folks praise it, so there must be something special about it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
It’s the two stage trigger. The trigger weight is distributed on the first and the second stage. Half the weight is pulled already when it hits the second stage. The low weight second stage becoms much better to control. Two stage trigger or one stage trigger is a matter of personal preference. There is nothing wrong with a 3.5lbs on two stage trigger for target shooting. Ed obviously prefers direct triggers.

The discussion about shot placement vs speed comes short on this forum. Speed dominates, this is the reason why there’s more debates over direct triggers with a short reset. You can achieve the same result with a long resetting two stage trigger but a with less ammo.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, Well the two stage 210 trigger is different, that's for sure. I think some American shooters, new to the P210, don't quite know what to make of it. My examples do average about 3 1/2#, or a just bit less, close as I can measure. Same as the 210s I had 30 years ago. I wouldn't want it much lighter for my non-competition recreational use. The reset is a bit lengthy, especially if one is used to a 1911, Glock, S&W, etc semi-auto. Kind of like the long reset of a non-SRT equipped traditional DA/SA SIG. I don't care for the lengthy reset myself, but the 210s are such nicely fitted, accurate and reliable pistols, I just live with that aspect of 210 design.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Most people are scared to push the first stage to the beginning of the second stage and hold the finger in that positon until the second stage breaks or they overrun the stage and jerk. It’s a rooky error everybody goes through when they transfer from sinlestage to two stage triggers.
If there’s a sport spring installed in the US version the only way to reduce weight of the second stage is honing the transfer plate in the correct place but with care. It’s not really recommended to go down to a 2lb trigger because the weight reduction only applies to the second stage and if the weight ration between the two stages is to big, the pistol might start doubeling.
The recoil of the 9mm is to much for a trigger weight ratio like the 2lbs of an Olympic Standard Pistol. Singel stage triggers might be better for Center fire pistols with low trigger weight. Mine has 3.1 lbs on an approx 1/3, 2/3 weight ratio. A bit extra, for not failing a poorly executed trigger inspection before a competition.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
When I borrowed my neighbor's P210-6, I didn't get along with the trigger very well at all. Now that I have learned a bit more about it, I may have to see if Huey (another forum member) will let me try it one more time...... Smile

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post