SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt New Agent Series 90: magazines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt New Agent Series 90: magazines Login/Join 
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted
My dad just bought one.

Is there any reason standard 1911 magazines won’t work?

I have a bunch, so I thought I’d give him some.

Since dad is getting on, any recommendations for a solid defense round that won’t break his wrists? I usually go in for +P type stuff myself...

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If this is the gun I think it is, magazines for an "Officer's" (compact) size frame are what you want. They are usually 6-round flush-fitting or 7-round slightly extended. "Government" or "Commander" (both the same grip length) magazines should work, but will stick out of the grip and are subject to being jammed in too far.

quote:
Since dad is getting on, any recommendations for a solid defense round that won’t break his wrists?

Just standard pressure loads with a hollow-point bullet. The gun is designed to function with them. A light "target" load might not cycle the action with its stiff springs. I wouldn't think a miniature .45 would be the best choice if this is an issue, but I'm sure it would kick softer than a .38 or .357 revolver of equal weight.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The New Agent is based off of the Defender frame. So yes the standard 7rd Gov. 1911 mag will fit but it will stick out. The normal flush fit magazine will be a 6 rounder (the compact or officer magazine).

Great pistol. Colt really figured it out with the 3" barrel vs. the 3.5 of the Officer.

As for ammo...short 45's always are snappy to me. I'd go with Speer Short Barrel in 230gr.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP/departments/373/

In addition to the 6- and 7-round mags, they also show an 8-round for compacts. This would still stick out of the grip, but it has a travel stop to prevent over-insertion.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wouldn't think a miniature .45 would be the best choice if this is an issue, but I'm sure it would kick softer than a .38 or .357 revolver of equal weight.

He asks my advice after he does things... much as I did.

In fairness, the only two handguns he's ever spent much time with were his NPS Model 19 service revolver and a US Navy issue 1911... to go with his BAR.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post