SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 wear of the gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 wear of the gun Login/Join 
posted
Hello guys,
I was offered p228 w. german. The seller says it has only 100 rounds through it... Please check the pictures of the inside frame and barrel. Do you consider it ok, or the wear it too substantial and I should not buy it.
Thank you for any opinion on this. Thank you.
J.

Posts: 9 | Registered: November 05, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What pictures?

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Pics not showing up.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
OK, what are your concerns? Looks fine to me, from what you're showing.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you 12131, my concern is if instead of declared 100 rounds you with your expert eyes see that it shot 15,000 + rounds. If it looks fine to you, it is great:-) Thank you.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by krajos:
Thank you 12131, my concern is if instead of declared 100 rounds you with your expert eyes dont see that it shot 15,000 + rounds. If it looks fine to you, it is great:-) Thank you.

No expert, but that thing definitely has not 15K rounds through it, and very unlikely to have had more than 500 rounds through it. Wink
Do you have pic (top view) of the entire frame rail?

Q

posted Hide Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...n/dateposted-public/

Great, to hear that:-) Thank you. I attached one more picture that I have.

posted Hide Post
Nobody worries about rail wear more than Sig guys. It is like a disease. lol

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

It is a SIGness. Big Grin

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
No expert, but that thing definitely has not 15K rounds through it, and very unlikely to have had more than 500 rounds through it.

Yes, 100rds is possible, visible wear depends so much on lube. I purchased a P239 that had never been cleaned or lubed. The barrel had a wear indentation from no lube. After a lot of cleaning it is one of my most accurate Sigs.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
No expert, but that thing definitely has not 15K rounds through it, and very unlikely to have had more than 500 rounds through it.

Yes, 100rds is possible, visible wear depends so much on lube. I purchased a P239 that had never been cleaned or lubed. The barrel had a wear indentation from no lube. After a lot of cleaning it is one of my most accurate Sigs.

Agreed. I've had NOS SIGs that were like that. On the old blued SIG barrels, it only takes just handling/racking without adequate lubrication to introduce "smileys".

Q

posted Hide Post
OP, this wear pattern stuff is like reading tea leaves, unless there is some obvious abnormal damage to the metal.

Every gun I have has different wear patterns. Sigs, Glocks, 1911's. Even within the same design. E.G. P226/P229, P320 Compact/FullSize, Glock G19/G34, Wilson Combat Pro/Colt Cmdr.

Mechanical products with moving parts will usually exhibit marks on contact surfaces. It's normal. Normal wear is different from excessive or abnormal wear where material is eventually removed causing one or both of the contacting components to become out of spec. I've got a 1995 P229 with over 47,00 rounds through it that is nicely broke in. Smile

I was born in 1942 and initially lived in a mechanical age. My father was a skilled machinist working on WW II and then nuclear submarines. Eventually, I had a career in IT, but still had an understanding of all things mechanical. I think one reason many shooters obsess about "wear" nowadays is their lack of experience/understanding of mechanical products. We're now living in an electronic age. This isn't a putdown, just a general observation.

So much for my Old Fart mini non-rant. Wink

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Looks like low round count me as well. 100 or 500 rounds really makes little difference provided it was lubed and kept clean. The old rule-of-thumb is 500 rounds to qualify a hand gun for critical duty. If you like it and it's a reasonable price, I see no reason to worry.

Enjoy.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my previous job I shot three 228's to the end of their useful lifespan. I would say the previous estimates are accurate. Based upon the wear pattern of the barrel I would say less than 300. The locking insert shows very little signs of wear also.

Like the expert (despite his denial) 12131 says, no concerns; it hardly looks like it is broken in.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Seems fine to me, especially if you're looking for one to shoot. It's been fired outside of the factory so a pristine gun it's not but still a perfectly fine example even if it's just going to be a collectible safe queen, particularly if the asking price is reasonable.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much, guys. That is a goood news! And I did not have a good news around me for a long time... Thanks for that again. Damn, I would like to offer you all a beer or something, but as Nipper said we are living in an electronic age Frown. So much knowledge about sigs, guns, history, and overall life here, it is amazing!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
And, welcome to the forum! Cool

Q

Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

It is a SIGness. Big Grin

LOL You are SIG.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
It depends. Does that P228 come with original case with matching serial number that is not a red box/case? Reason I ask is SIG refurbed some P228s a while back as CPOs and from what I remember they refinished slide, frame, barrel, and locking insert. On those CPOs usually you could tell by looking at the lettering on the slide and frame and see uneven markings due to overspray of refinishing.

Nothing wrong with those CPO P228s but always a good idea to know what you are buying and offer accordingly.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post