SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Metal Pistols all Gone ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Metal Pistols all Gone ? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Except maybe some 1911s ? All I see on their site are pages upon pages of poly M&P pistols. Revolvers yes but their auto pistol line stinks. WTH are people in that company thinking ? Or aren't they. They need to get back to making guns.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Amen brother! The current company calling itself s&w has not made a product I want or would buy since 2001. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I dont get it. I've been watching this for many years. The full size 45s and 10mm guns were gone. Double stack 9mm guns all gone. All those compact aluminum frame models turned me off completely. Now its just all M&P ? Something has sure changed at S&W.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You do realize they're selling M&Ps by the million. I think the Shield alone is over the two million mark. The metal frame guns cost much more to build, and just can't compete on price. Glock essentially drove those guns out of the LE market, and sales to individuals weren't enough to keep them going.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Sadly yes. It assures some customers will buy none of them too. I didnt say the M&P is a bad line. I actually like a Glock more. I dont see a S&W auto in my future because they aren't made any more.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There just aren't enough of you willing to pay enough of a premium for an all metal gun, for it to be worth them keeping a line open for them.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like everything, anything which can be made from plastic will be...

Cost to manufacture (cheaper)
Cost to ship (cheaper, less weight)
Cost of warranties (cheaper to replace)
Lower cost (more people can afford)
More sales (greater influence and competition)

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The used S&W gen 3s tend to be affordable and available. Check Gun broker and the local shops and shows. I was in a shop in NY over the holiday and they had the old NYPD Gen 3 9mms (5946s) for around $500-600.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
The used S&W gen 3s tend to be affordable and available. Check Gun broker and the local shops and shows. I was in a shop in NY over the holiday and they had the old NYPD Gen 3 9mms (5946s) for around $500-600.

Does S&W still support these older guns of theirs?

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

S&W dropped all support of Gen 3 guns starting January 1 2016. I know a gun shop that closed a police Department buy back at the end of December 2015 that included 20 5906’s that need repair and told he was out of luck by S&W.

Posts: 635 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KML:
quote:
quote:

S&W dropped all support of Gen 3 guns starting January 1 2016. I know a gun shop that closed a police Department buy back at the end of December 2015 that included 20 5906’s that need repair and told he was out of luck by S&W.

There's the problem. No matter how cheap they get, many folks will shy away from them because of no support. Sure, there are parts on the secondary market, but they will eventually dry up.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still pick them up when I see one , I did get one of the FBI contract 459, and walked into a old gun shop about 2 years ago and they had a mint 645 for 399 I took that home , and then started to buy extra fact mags and old holster rigs .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It varies case by case. Some of the guys on S&W forum have had their 3rd Gens serviced by Smith in 2017. But, I wouldn't count on it. they are also not that hard to work on, depending on the issue.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
In over 27 years of owning, shooting, being issued and competing with S&W 3rd gen guns, I broke one part. One. In literally tens of thousands of rounds.

Personally, I have had no problem buying recoil and mag springs as recently as last month. I could care less that the company posing as s&w won't support them. They built these guns right. I don't need their support.

As far as the old "they would cost too much to make today", well Sig and Beretta make metal framed hammer fired pistols. And they seem to sell every one they make.

And as late as 2014 s&w was making 3914DAO pistols for the NYPD. And they were priced at NY cop shops at around $700. Fair price for a fine compact 9mm.

But they didnt advertise them or have them available to the public. Who would buy their shitty shields if the 3914DAO were available instead? Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Real simple answer here.
If people were buying them they would still be making them.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
You do realize they're selling M&Ps by the million. I think the Shield alone is over the two million mark. The metal frame guns cost much more to build, and just can't compete on price. Glock essentially drove those guns out of the LE market, and sales to individuals weren't enough to keep them going.
Glock didn't kill metal frame pistols only for the law enforcement market. Glock killed metal pistols, period.

Walther authority Dieter Marschall has noted that in the year 2000, a Walther P5 frame took 8 hours to manufacture and cost 175 DM (Deutschmark), whereas a P99 frame took just over 2 hours to manufacture and cost 8 DM. It took a few years, but once Glocks became prevalent, it was only a matter of time for metal frame pistol production to be overtaken by polymer.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Para, you hit the nail right on the head. It is all about cost of manufacture and profitability. In the end there are some amazing poly guns out there that offer great value for price and performance.

That said, I still get the sad panda face when I think about the great metal guns that are no longer produced (Walther P5, HK P7, Browning HP, etc...)

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if they made the 1006 again it would sell. I see them used from $800- $1000 and mags going for over $100 each.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dog44:
I think if they made the 1006 again it would sell. I see them used from $800- $1000 and mags going for over $100 each.

Sure, they may sell to a small group - but as a business case, there is much more to it than just selling a couple thousand 1006s - not only the costs of production, but what those assets could be doing instead (ie, making $$$ by making MPs, revolvers, etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post