SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt Government 380
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Government 380 Login/Join 
posted
Hello guys. I am getting out of the 38/357 game and traded a model 19 for this little gem. This is the all steel frame and feels so balanced in the hand. Prices have shot through the roof on these guns and for the $550 I had in the Smith, I say it was a great trade.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1100 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice find. Congratulations!

Posts: 18 | Registered: October 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I loved mine, simply an elegant piece. As I understand, Sig got the design rights from Colt, if that's the way to say it. Sig's P238 is chunkier and just not as nice in the hand.

But, a big but, there was a flaw in the Colt. The barrel lugs on the slide interior would peen over in time, unfixable as I understand. I traded mine for a Kimber Micro 9 which is the closest match to the Colt in feel and balance. Slightly bigger plus 9mm.

Shortly after Sig's P365 came out, a different bird altogether but too much going for it to deny.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice score! That thing oozes class. How does it shoot?

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Of all the Colt's I own, this model has escaped me over the years. I want one. Yours is a beautiful example. Curious to hear how she shoots as well.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
That’s beautiful! Thank you for sharing. I have a penchant for .380s.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
Of all the Colt's I own, this model has escaped me over the years. I want one. Yours is a beautiful example. Curious to hear how she shoots as well.

I took her out yesterday and ran several mags through the Colt. Functioning was 100% and accuracy was outstanding. The gun ran my hand loads equally as well. My wife and daughter both carry Sig 238’s. This just reminds me of a larger, heavier, softer shooting 238. I love it.

Posts: 1100 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pistols enjoy and shoot!...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I recall admiring the Colt .380 Government when they were introduced. I never picked one up, though I did eventually purchase a SIG P238. While I really like my P238, given my druthers I too would opt for the steel-on-steel Colt. Congratulations!

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:

I took her out yesterday and ran several mags through the Colt. Functioning was 100% and accuracy was outstanding. The gun ran my hand loads equally as well. My wife and daughter both carry Sig 238’s. This just reminds me of a larger, heavier, softer shooting 238. I love it.

Fantastic! I have a P238 that I enjoy but with my affinity towards Colt's, I'll likely pick one of these up if I ever happen across the "right one".

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless Mustang Pocketlite that I am very fond of. Long live the 9mm Kurtz!

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
That is in stunning shape! I've looked around a bit for those but the prices online are too high and I never see them in town. Such a classic.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I love shooting mine. Everyone I let try it loves it also. It's such a better size than the Mustang/P238 series, that extra 1/2" all around makes it so much better to shoot.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Do you know the date of manufacture?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are just easy shooting and classy pistols.

I would love to see somebody reissue the gun or a gun based on it.

The Mustang and it's offspring are just a little to small for my ham-hands.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats! It’s beautiful. I’ve long wished that SIG would offer a “long slide” version of the P238.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great score! I bought one new when they came out. I regret selling it!!!!! It was fun to shoot.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Do you know the date of manufacture?

Colt's website says 1992

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy!

I had a Colt pocket lite 380 years ago. The Colt 380 does not have a grip safety. Also careful with it in the half cocked mode. With the safety off and in the half cocked if you engage the the trigger the hammer will fall. I didn’t care for that and sold mine. Be safe.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Posts: 22 | Registered: November 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post