SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    sig p224 mag pinky extensions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sig p224 mag pinky extensions? Login/Join 
posted
I finally found a New Sig P224 SAS and probably over paid but i wanted it. Do any of you knowledgable people know if anyone makes an extended base plate for the 10- and 12 round magazines? I know 229/226 mags fit as well and you can get extended sleeves but I was hoping maybe there is a slightly larger base plate to allow a bit more grip.
Thank you, be safe

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May I ask where you found a new one? I had a P224 SAS in 9mm for over three years. Could not make it run reliably, and neither could SIG, so they traded me for different pistol earlier this year.

There are a few threads in this forum describing a modification to another magazine brand's extended baseplate that will make it fit the P224. Probably on YouTube as well. (Personally, modifying some other brand's baseplate sounds too sketchy to trust). Pearce and the others never made one. SIG itself never offered one, but they did sell a P229 mag with a sleeve for the P224 that basically replicated a pistol they used to sell called a P229 Carry or Compact (P224 slide on a P229 frame). You may be able to find one of those from a private seller.

I would suggest shooting it a lot to test whether you really need the extension. If it's a 9mm, you likely won't need the extra purchase on those E2 grips. 40S&W and 357 SIG might be a different story.

Good luck. The P224 is a very accurate pistol when it runs properly. It's fun to shoot and would have been a great carry pistol except for the obvious.

Posts: 76 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
I made mine using the instructions on the other sig forum. It only takes about 10 minutes, but you'll need the Pearce XD pinky extension. You'll also need a magazine insert plate from an old P229 magazine. You just cut off a little of the Pearce extension to fit and you're good to go. I EDC mine and never had an issue with it. Email me if you have any questions.

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
There is also the P229 magazine sleeve designed for it, but they are VERY hard to come by. There was one on Gunbroker for over $150 today. Congratulations on the P224 SAS!

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for the info, I guess I could try making the extension on a mag. I ended up with 12-10 rd magazines so I could try working on one

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post