SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 17 standard??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 17 standard?? Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted
Wanted a Glock 17. Happened by the local Scheels and they had one in stock. It was cali compliant so it came with 2 10 round mags.

Decided to see if i could find a threaded barrel but they all makers want to know gen 1-3, 4 or gen 5? My 17 has no markings to indicate which gen it is. Any ideas what gen threaded barrel will work in the glock 17 standard?

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There's no such thing as a "Glock 17 Standard". They have Gen 1/2/3/4/5 (with a few extra subvariants within those, like C models with barrel porting, FS models with Front Serrations, or RTF models with a different grip texture, though none of those subvariants will affect threaded barrel fit).

If you'll post a photo of your G17, we can easily tell exactly what Gen it is.

However, if it's not marked "Gen 4" or "Gen 5" next to the 17 on the slide, then it's almost certainly a Gen 3. Gen 1-3 aren't marked on the slide, but they haven't made Gen 1s or 2s in several decades.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Aren’t Gen 3 Glocks the only California compliant Glocks that are still in production?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't bother to keep abreast of byzantine California gun laws.

If so, then that further cements it being a Gen 3, if it's new.

If it's used, then there's still a chance it could be a Gen 1 or Gen 2.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Yeah its brand new. They said they just got them in.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's a base "Gen 3" G17.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g17

Okay so its the base original model. That helps.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup, you're in luck as the Gen 3 model 17 is basically an Erector Set with bullets.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I think there may be some confusion. You have a Generation 3 Glock 17. "The Original" is referring to the fact that the 17 was the gun that started it all, not that you have the "original" model. The "original" would have been a generation 1, and the biggest give away would have been the lack of finger grooves, among other items.

The good news (for you) is the Gen3 probably is the king at aftermarket parts availability. While only some options are available for Gen4 or Gen5 guns, EVERYBODY makes stuff for the Gen3.

Great find, good luck!

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Totally obsolete. Nobody uses those things, anymore. Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd sell it. Nobody wants a Gen 3 Glock!

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
98.SiG and Rising
Picture of Sig Fever
posted Hide Post
My G17.3 is my HD/Night Stand Duty gun. Put a TLR-1HL (TLR-7a) on it and enjoy. This pistol is accurate and fun to shoot.

Warning...SiGs are addictive, keep out of the reach of adults!

Blue Lives Matter: Thank a Police Officer for their Service!

Posts: 5795 | Location: Virginia USA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 3 was the last of the good finishes on the slide. Can't go wrong with a 17,congrats.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Okay so its the base original model. That helps.

I hate to be pedantic and nitpicky, but in the interest of trying to clear the waters for anyone who might read this, that's not exactly accurate.

The "base original model" was this guy, first imported to the US in 1986:

It was discontinued and replaced by this guy in 1988, which the community decided to start calling "Gen 2":

Since the first generation of Glocks was only imported for two years or so, a lot of people erroneously refer to the Gen 2 as a Gen 1. I saw it here on the forum just a few days ago with a guy talking about his "Gen 1 Glock 22," which is something that flatly does not, and could not exist because the .40 S&W wasn't even designed until 1990, which by that point, the Gen 1 had been discontinued for two years.

Your particular model of Glock was introduced in 1998, twelve years after the "original base model" was introduced. So, in the interest of disambiguation, you have a Gen 3 Glock 17. That's what it is. The easy way to tell is, if it has a rail, it's a Gen 3 or later, and from there, you can break it down pretty quickly by looking at the texture of the grip frame, and in the case of the Gen 5, the lack of "finger bumps" on the front strap or ambi slide lock lever. Those are the big visual cues to go by.

quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Gen 3 was the last of the good finishes on the slide. Can't go wrong with a 17,congrats.

It's the last generation that was available with a Tennifer treatment of the slide under what I'm guessing you're referring to as the slick "Teflon" type finish, and that was only an available combination for a period of time and certainly not what modern Gen 3's have. Without looking into it, I think that only lasted until the very early 2000's, so a relatively small amount of time that the Gen 3 has been in production.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Gen 3 was the last of the good finishes on the slide.

It's the last generation that was available with a Tennifer treatment of the slide under what I'm guessing you're referring to as the slick "Teflon" type finish, and that was only an available combination for a period of time and certainly not what modern Gen 3's have. Without looking into it, I think that only lasted until the very early 2000's, so a relatively small amount of time that the Gen 3 has been in production.

Glock switched from the original Tennifer finish around 2011/2012, shortly after the Gen 4 was introduced.

So pre-2012ish Gen 3s and early Gen 4s were the last of the ones with this original style finish. The current production Gen 3s - like the one the OP just bought - have the same slide finish as the current production Gen 4s (IIRC it's Melonite).

And Gen 5s use a different nDLC finish.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't too sure about the changeover from Tennifer, but I had to get on the road and went from memory. Smile

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as threaded barrels go, I highly recommend KKM. I've tried them all and KKM seem to be the best.

Posts: 129 | Location: PNW Washington State | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
Aren’t Gen 3 Glocks the only California compliant Glocks that are still in production?

Yep, probably the only reason they’re still in production.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:

Yep, probably the only reason they’re still in production.

Yep, The guy behind the counter said this was specifically a cali compliant handgun as it came with ten round mags...