SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 87 Target
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 87 Target Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
Anybody have experience or trigger time with one of these? I really like the look of this pistol and what I've read sounds promising.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got one. Nice gun. Does not have a “target” trigger. Shoots well, nice optic chassis, it’s an 87. That being said, I prefer my standard 87 all day over the SAO 87 Target. I hardly ever shoot mine while my 87 goes to the range every time.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with pedropcola. A friend of mine had one that he was trying to use as a bullseye pistol, but the trigger just didn't cut it. And if all you want it for is a fun gun and plinker, the standard 87 will do you just fine.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I have one; definitely misnamed. Bought it mostly because of its looks, which is too often leads to it being a mistake. An otherwise decent gun saddled with a weird trigger action that comes nowhere close to being 'target' worthy, unless that target is a generously sized one. Expensive for a plinker but it's at least good enough for that task. Frankly I like my Victory much better. And yeah, with hindsight I would pass if I had to do it again.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of people sucked in by the name and turned off by the trigger. I didn’t shoot it any better than my cheapo 22/45 so I sold it.

There is a fix for the trigger where you can put the trigger from another Beretta into it, maybe an 85, but I forget and can’t seem to find it this morning.

On the plus side, it looks like Robocop’s 92. Big Grin

There’s new model standard 87s out there. I’d buy one of those first.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fix is that you replace the innards with the 89 trigger group which actually is target level quality. I actually considered going the other way and replacing the innards with standard 87 trigger group. I figured I would rather have a DA/SA gun, someday I may still do this.

It is a good gun but Beretta should either have used the 89 quality level trigger or left it a DA/SA. Either of those options is more palatable/useful than the current configuration.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of getting one as well based on limited supply & Beretta reputation. Glad to hear about the non-target target trigger.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get an 87. Search for an spare long barrel that you send off and get threaded. Buy the rubber bumper pad 87Target mags that hold 10 vice the non bumper padded 87 mags that hold 8 for some mysterious Italian reason that makes no sense. Enjoy what I consider the best overall 22 pistol ever made.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I've had my 87T for about two years, and love it. Yes, there are some trigger issues:
1 – Fairly heavy. Mine broke at 4.5 lbs new, now just under 4 lbs. I'm going to send the gun to Josh at AGW to further reduce it.
2 – It has a rolling break rather than a two-stage break. Fine by me.
3 – Lots of over travel. I devised a simple and elegant over travel stop to fix that.

Trigger aside, there's lots to like:
1 – All machined metal.
2 – Reliably cycles all ammo that I've tried. But I've settled on Aguila Pistol Match.
3 – Take-down lever for easy take-down and reassembly.
4 – External thumb-cockable hammer.
5 – 1911-angle grip – same as all of my other pistols.
6 – Square trigger guard with front serrations – like my SIG X5.
7 - Looks – love that Italian design!
8 – Optics rail.
9 – Easy to operate ambidextrous safety – great for lefties.

Except for the somewhat heavy trigger break, it's as though Beretta made this pistol just for me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Beretta 87s are great guns. But I agree with everyone. It isn't a target gun and the regular 87 is handier and ten times as cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Buy the rubber bumper pad 87Target mags that hold 10 vice the non bumper padded 87 mags that hold 8 for some mysterious Italian reason that makes no sense.

There are 10-rnd mags?!? I use my standard Mod. 87 to train newbies about semi-auto pistols after getting them used to shooting my S&W Mod. 63 Kit gun. GunBroker, here I come! Big Grin

Love my standard Beretta 87! Cool

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, when you get the 10 rounders you will discover the only difference is the slot cutout. Everything else, including spring by all appearances, is the same.

posted Hide Post
Yes I do, i have it and a few others.

I added this 41 this year.

Now for the 87t. I like the trigger, it does not bother me at all. I have built, bought a few volquatrsens, all the ones in the photos and the trigger is just fine
Take the time to get aquaited with it. Focus on the break and it is just as good as a mkIII, 617,victory. Accuracy wise it is dime sized groups at 30ft.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Buy the rubber bumper pad 87Target mags that hold 10 vice the non bumper padded 87 mags that hold 8 for some mysterious Italian reason that makes no sense.

There are 10-rnd mags?!? I use my standard Mod. 87 to train newbies about semi-auto pistols after getting them used to shooting my S&W Mod. 63 Kit gun. GunBroker, here I come! Big Grin

Love my standard Beretta 87! Cool

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Yes, the only difference between the 8-rd standard 87 mags and the 87 Target 10-rd mags is the side of the 10-rd mags is cut further to allow the follower to slide down to allow rounds #9 and #10. And the stupid bumper pad.

But you can get the 10rd mags and replace the bumper with a standard baseplate and have flush fit 10rd mags. I did that to a bunch and have maybe 5 x 10s and 5 x 8s, all flush fit.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the 10 round (87T) mags with the bumpers.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a fix for the trigger where you can put the trigger from another Beretta into it, maybe an 85, but I forget and can’t seem to find it this morning.

I took a Beretta 84 trigger out once and one of those springs was the hardest damn thing ive ever had to reinstall. I was so frustrated! I dont know that the 87 is the same or not but i needed like 4 arms and something stronger than the f word to get it back in place.

I have the normal 87 and love it. Never tried the target though

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I had to have one a few years ago, so I bought one.
I found the grip to be uncomfortably short for any kind of real shooting.

I was disappointed with it and moved it along.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that has one that he loves. I've shot it, it's great fun for a .22

He got his used at gander mountain during their going out of business for right around $300. Maybe even less than that. For that, it's a hell of a .22

I personally like the trigger on my 71 better....but they are both immensely fun guns to shoot

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one: the trigger is more like a combat trigger- longish pull, and some overtravel.

As stated, the 89 trigger and trigger bar can be modified to work for the 87. Rimfire central dot com has a LOT of info on this one.

One observation- the stock setup allows the hammer to 'drop' [when trigger pulled] when the slide is open over 0.3". Yes, enough for the width of a .22lr to go through sideways.

Word from Beretta [when I sent my pistol in for a checkup] was that this was deemed within manufacturing specs, but this was based on a comparison of other 87Targets on the shelf- not conversation with designers.

this means that there is a slight chance of out of battery firing.

This is NOT the only .22lr I have like this, but I prefer the about .15" or less of opening that disengages the trigger on most of my .22lr handguns.

That said, I have sourced the firing group [trigger, TBar, sear and hammer] from an 89, and will be making the modifications to make them work right.

When I do, I am probably going to have a bit of metal added to the front of the disconnector hump on the trigger bar, so that it begins to disengage earlier, and thus the hammer won't drop when the slide is open more than .2" [I am shooting for .1"].

That said, I like the way it balances, points and shoots. Not light years better than my Ruger MK II Government Target [with Volquartsen parts] or my Buckmark Nickle Plus [with only an adjustable trigger changed in].

Yet, it feels very nice.

Don't think you are getting an 'off the shelf' contender for a S&W 41, or a High Standard Trophy- you aren't.

You can probably pick up a used High Standard Trophy or Citation [which is a trophy without the polish job or gold accents] for the same price as a new 87Target.

My Beretta 87Target will never be the 'only' .22lr I own. But I am glad to have it and enjoy it a lot.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
I have one: the trigger is more like a combat trigger- longish pull, and some overtravel. Agree but mine had a ridiculous amount of over travel

As stated, the 89 trigger and trigger bar can be modified to work for the 87. Rimfire central dot com has a LOT of info on this one. Trigger 'may ' need to have a small amount removed from the sides (not even really noticeable but a bit of cold blue will fix it). Nothing has to be done to the trigger bar BUT either the stock trigger bar spring must be re-bent or a trigger bar spring from an 89 must be used

One observation- the stock setup allows the hammer to 'drop' [when trigger pulled] when the slide is open over 0.3". Yes, enough for the width of a .22lr to go through sideways. The 89 parts will reduce this (did on mine) although this may differ due to tolerances with specific pistols.

That said, I have sourced the firing group [trigger, TBar, sear and hammer] from an 89, and will be making the modifications to make them work right. You don't need the sear or hammer although they may provide an additional, marginal improvement. The improvement using the trigger bar, trigger and spring was huge IMO. I would suggest adding a trigger bar spring from a model 89 to your list and make sure the trigger includes the stop screw before reassembly.

Don't think you are getting an 'off the shelf' contender for a S&W 41, or a High Standard Trophy- you aren't. True. Also it may be beneficial to have the barrel re-crowned. The crown on mine was off center.

I have done the above mentioned mods to mine and added my comments in bold.
One other thing, Make a slave pin that fits within the trigger BEFORE you reassemble the pistol, otherwise the trigger return spring will be near impossible to put back together.

Edited to add: Regarding my comments on the trigger bar above;
When using the 89 trigger bar, it does not need to be modified but without doing so a lifter lever will need to be removed (don't know correct part name but it will be obvious).
This lever disconnects the trigger bar, so the trigger can be pulled rearward when the safety is on.
Without this lever the trigger cannot be pulled rearward when the safety is on.
Frankly, it appears to serve no useful purpose other than to add bATFe import points to the pistol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve 22X,

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post