SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Was getting ready to order a W/C EDC X9 and then I saw this...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was getting ready to order a W/C EDC X9 and then I saw this... Login/Join 
Picture of Tooky13
posted
Since getting a D/W Valor 9mm a while back, I’ve been thinking about another 1911 9mm with high capacity. I was considering a Wilson Combat EDC X9 when I was over at the gun club a couple of weeks ago. One of the members (a big 1911 collector) is moving to New York and is selling off most of his collection. There were 25-30 1911s, all Wilson Combat, Ed Brown and Night Hawk in pristine condition. I spotted this one and was intrigued, as I was unfamiliar with it. It’s a Wilson Combat Spec-Ops 9. After handling it and seeing what all it came with, I bought it (half the price of an EDC X9), figuring I couldn’t go wrong with a Wilson and it wouldn’t last long.

Researching it afterwards, I found a good discussion of it on the 1911 Forum. W/C discontinued it in 2015, after only building about 200-300. Apparently, it was too difficult to build and be cost effective. In fact, there was a 2-3 year waiting list when they stopped production and cancelled all the orders in the queue that weren’t already kitted. They do still support it and carry the mags on their website. Of course, they came out with the EDC X9 shortly thereafter, which has been a HUGE success.

Anyhow, it has a steel slide and polymer/steel frame, 4.5” barrel, 16+1 capacity and weighs about 29 oz. With all those 1911s, I can’t imagine the previous owner giving any of them much range time. This one is in mint condition. It came with everything as it would have from W/C, plus extras… the pouch, 6 magazines (3 still in wrappers) and all the paperwork, including the QC sign-off sheet and target.

I’ve put about 300 rounds through it and, as expected, smooth as silk with absolutely no issues. I really like the sleek clean look, with no front slide serrations or rail. It’s a real pleasure to shoot and makes it easy to group rounds tightly.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
That is really nice. I wish someone was selling off their collection near me!

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Fantastic deal.
I remember when those came out, I look forward to your impressions shooting it.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I believe Wilsons first double stack was called KZ45 being chambered in the 45 Auto round. This in 9mm seems like a sweet pistol Tooky. Very nice indeed.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody should move to NY, but it worked out great for you. Nice pistol.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Nice get. I remember looking at these a few years ago and thinking that it was weird thinking of a WC pistol with polymer in its frame. But STI had been doing it and those worked out pretty well for them. Would be great to know how it runs for you.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I believe Wilsons first double stack was called KZ45 being chambered in the 45 Auto round. This in 9mm seems like a sweet pistol Tooky. Very nice indeed.

They made the KZ in 9mm and made KZ's in both government and commander length slides. I have a KZ 45 government length.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yes, you're right 'jimmy'. The magazines for this one are stamped 'KZ 9mm', so they must be interchangeable.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1308 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

Prior to the KZ45, Wilson built a few double stacks on the STI 2011 platform. These would have probably been made in the early 90's as the frames I have seen said Strayer-Tripp on them as opposed to the current STI markings.

There were allegedly some built on Para wide body frames as well.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I think the polymer frames were probably subbed out to BUL... which might have the issue with the gigantic back log of orders and the lack of access to parts. Definitely makes more sense to do something that you can manufacture 100% internally to meet demand.

I've been close to buying a KZ45 on a number of occasions. Holster availability seems to be an issue due to the thickness of the polymer frame. None the less, they are interesting guns that can usually be found for a considerable discount to more traditional WC 1911 offerings.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post