SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Should I get a Legion, a Springfield 1911, or Sig Sauer 1911?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I get a Legion, a Springfield 1911, or Sig Sauer 1911? Login/Join 
Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted
Hi all,

It's been a while since I have bought a pistol...I would like your input (not a poll though), on buying one first, then possibly another one above sooner or later.

I have really come to like the Springfield Marine Operator 1911. I like that it's fine with salt water, a common problem I've heard with regular 1911's.

I have also come to like the Sig Sauer 1911 Emporer model in particular. I like the shape, the extra long slide and barrel (everything else I have is 229 or shorter barrel), and the rail underneath.

I have also really enjoyed handling the Legion series. Something calls to me about this...and the trigger is freakin' amazing.

Is there a reason/s to get one or the other first, second, and last?

Thank you all for your input.

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a tough one. Is this for carry? Or just on the boat in a cubby kind of thing

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdkMtnGuy:
Hi all,

...and the trigger is freakin' amazing.

Thank you all for your input.

If I took out the names and the manufacturer's fluff, I think I may see the answer to your dilemma.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several SIG 1911's, a Dan Wesson Valor, and most recently a Springfield Armory TRP Operator(Full Rail). I believe the TRP is my new favourite 1911. The guide rod is a bitch though(waiting on a Dawson Precision replacement).
I see the Marine Operator has a G.I.style rod, so you are OK there.

If you are a Classic P Series fan like me the P226 Legion SAO is awesome as well. I eagerly await the P220 Legion SAO.

In conclusion, you clearly need the Springfield and the Legion.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
What about a Ruger 1911?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
What about a Ruger 1911?

Already have an anchor, don't need another

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All good choices. What is the intended purpose of the gun?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sig 1911- Nightmare fastback!

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Legion.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
A Sig DA/SA vs. a Springfield 1911 is not really comparable, IMO. I don't own a Legion but I do own many other Sigs and to me this comes down to what type of trigger system you want.

As far as Springfield 1911's go I have always been a Colt guy but recently got my first Springfield. It's a quality pistol.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Legion, P220 flavor.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imfrogman:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
What about a Ruger 1911?

Already have an anchor, don't need another

Big Grin

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
1. Springfield, because it meets an identified need.

2. Legion, because trigger.

3. Sig 1911.

If you find your mind absolutely rebelling at buying them in the order listed above, then that'll tell you something too.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had this same dilemma about 6 months ago. I looked at all of the above, as well as a few others. I ended up with a Springfield 1911 (kind of...it's an EMP4). I'm very satisfied with my decision.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
Springfield 1911. My first, and still favorite 1911.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Those are all very different guns. They're not really comparable imo.

Springfield builds a solid 1911. I had a TRP Tactical (Non Rail)and it had the best trigger of any gun that I own. I just sold it, but would recommend one to someone that wants a tough-built fighting gun.

I have a SIG Nightmare and really like it. SIG 1911's seem to be different than other 1911's. They seem to be more "SIG" than 1911. If you handle one, you'll understand what I am saying. This is not a bad thing. But if you buy one, you may find yourself wanting a Colt or a Springfield as well.

And that leads me to my next point. If you are looking at a Springfield, you should also look into Colt. I have two Colts and I really like them. They have an old-school feeling about them. They still use bar stock for most of their small parts (as opposed to MIM). When you operate them, they just feel like a 1911 should. They make a new model called the Competition pistol, which is kind of like Springfield's Range Officer. If I was looking for a new Colt at a great price, I would be looking there. One thing though....if you buy a Colt, buy it off the shelf, not from an online dealer.

As far as a Legion goes, if you want a Legion, buy one and don't look back. I've handled a few, and I think they are excellent guns. Excellent ergos, fantastic trigger, and the X-Ray sights are just brilliant.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Adirondack Mtn Guy, The One Stop Shop
Picture of AdkMtnGuy
posted Hide Post
Hello all, I appreciate all of your responses.

Puposes for each:
Springfield (or maybe a Colt as has been suggested) - for a 1911 for the 1911 build, takedown, trigger, legacy as finally to teach with it. The majority of my students show up with their 1911's and up looking like mummy hands by the end of the day. If they are proactive enough, they start looking like a mummy at the beginning of the day before all of the sharper edges start tearing them up "running the gun". But the legacy and trigger system simply cannot be argued.... until the Legion showed up. The Springfield in particular, 80 series, seems to have the most commonly available parts and pieces for replacement if and when. I'm also thinking of the inherent design pros and cons of John Moses Brownings brainchild that's simply a must-have.

The Legion, is just beautiful, would also serve the purpose as being run like a 1911 but without being a 1911, and also unfortunately without our American traditional legacy (some might argue it's the beautiful child of all things good in the handgun world - just google it of course). I may never carry it though (maybe) because it may be the unique external safety gun where everything else is point as shoot for lack of a better phrase.

The Sig 1911, seems to buck all design and tradition of the rest of the 1911's and stand out on its own, which I lol at that and think that it may be TOO unique, but also in a good way, is it designed any better than the traditional 1911's? I've heard lots of critique against it though.

Thank you all again.

Take Care, God Bless, and be safe!
~AdkMtnGuy
WY0ADK

http://www.MacGregorSpecialties.com
NRA Certified Instructor
Defensive Shooting Instructor
Oath Keeper
Μολὼν Λαβέ

"Pain is your friend, it lets you know you're still alive and therefore you've still got fight left in you..." -me

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9 - New Line of Duty June 11, 2010 - WOOF!
And another one on top, Feb 14, 2012!

Challenge my Brute! http://mac.mybrute.com

Posts: 1695 | Location: Circle of Protection | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
The 220 Legion is my vote.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If you are going to go with a 1911, go with the MC Operator. It is one of the few pistols I would recommend for duty out of the box.

I'd steer clear of anything with SIG and 1911 in the title. Great gun to look at, but that is about it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Of the 3 you listed I guess the Sig 1911. I am however biased toward the 1911. I would opt for the Sig since it has a series 80 drop safety.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post