SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there any chance of a 9mm conversion for a P220?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there any chance of a 9mm conversion for a P220? Login/Join 
posted
I would LOVE a 9mm conversion for my P220. which would be cheaper to feed, keep the same butter smooth trigger & would hopefully cost less than buying a P226.
I have no interest in the .22 conversion, as I already have a couple of nice .22 pistols.

Posts: 47 | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm 220's exist... not sure if you can convert yours over by using the components to keep your smooth trigger.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
At one time I believe there was a long-running stickied thread by parabellum describing his P220 to 9mm conversion project. As I recall it was quite a saga that involved the acquisition of hard-to-find parts and modifications by Grayguns.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maybe just buy a 220 9mm. They are not all that rare (American mags can be an adventure).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10994 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chief1200
posted Hide Post
But then wouldn't it be a single stack 226?

Posts: 76 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chief1200:
But then wouldn't it be a single stack 226?

The P226 is a double stacked P220, not vice versa. Wink

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Guys, are we sure the OP isn't asking for a conversion kit that can be put on the lower half of a 220? The 220s in 9mm are the bomb, but SIG don't make pistols or magazines anymore and the supply is...not very good.

Personally I can't understand why SIG hasn't made a conversion kit that would work with the 220. I suspect the reason conversion kits for other pistols and calibers are available because the magazines are still a part of SIG's stock in trade.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Jeff Creamer when he was still employed at Sig about the 9mm P220. Jeff indicated that the it had actually been discussed, but, would be dependent upon the success of the P225 "reissue".

I did mention a conversion such as the one that's been made by Sig Germany. He indicated that was also discussed, however, warranty concerns would require the locking insert to be installed by a factory authorized armorer. No one is going to want to pay an armorer any time they want to swap calibers.

A work around could be to sell the slide assembly w/barrel, locking insert, and mag(s) separately as "parts" but this could have warranty implications as well.

While I would buy a couple of conversions and a whole lot of mags, I don't see Sig having enough interest in it to invest the time and money.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Good news! They are still in production and are somewhat attainable.

Bad news! They are in Germany and you have to find a reliable way to get them through customs. Locate trustworthy vendors. Pay lots of fees. Wait eight months for it to get to you...

Yeah... No.

You'd be better served by saving up and getting a 9mm P220 and then the trigger work done on it later.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be ok, cheaper to feed

Posts: 47 | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
The guy who was a direct importer that was a member here (Jaymie at Afton Arms) was putting together a group buy for 9mm P220s some years back. I was on the list.

Sadly, he suddenly and tragically died (far too young) before the deal was completed.

Sad. Jaymie was a damn nice guy.

I don't know how he did it. But time after time Jaymie would be able to work with Sig Germany to, as I understood it at the time, do limited edition custom runs for him that he would then import. It was a specialty of his.

Sigh. Have't thought about him in a few years. He died from the flu, seriously... he was in his mid-fifties.

Sorry for the sentimentality.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
That would be really cool if this could be done again.

I have been able to get a few of them from Brindisi, Italy every now and then. A group order would cut the cost of customs fees and engraving tremendously.

The biggest problem for a conversion (other than finding the parts) would be filling in the slide to the proper barrel diameter.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
That would be really cool if this could be done again.

I have been able to get a few of them from Brindisi, Italy every now and then. A group order would cut the cost of customs fees and engraving tremendously.

The biggest problem for a conversion (other than finding the parts) would be filling in the slide to the proper barrel diameter.

About how many people would we need?
What about Dans Ammo, they brought in several batches of German SIGs the past few years, they were priced rather competitively.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Just about any vaguely reasonable option would be neat.

Does anyone know if they're still selling complete 9mm 220s over in Germany?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to buy a P220 9mm complete side and frame parts kit a few yrs back from the classifieds here. I installed all the appropriate 9MM parts on a P220 .45 frame. Everything worked except I had to use a .38 Sup mag to get it to feed and chamber correctly. I ended up selling the slide to a fellow forum member who also lives behind enemy lines.

Posts: 827 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Does anyone know if they're still selling complete 9mm 220s over in Germany?

They still make a 9mm X-Six. They are somewhat pricey however.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ah. I seem to remember that it was just a couple of years ago that they still had a "standard" (US mag release) 9mm 220 in the DE online catalogue.

Sod. If it ain't easy, it's unlikely to happen.

posted Hide Post
I hope this is not a problem, one PW Arms 9mm for sale, no affiliation, no knowlege...Tom

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/694560873

Posts: 306 | Location: PA | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I wish I could convert my Stainless P220 to 357 Sig...

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
I wish I could convert my Stainless P220 to 357 Sig...

If you have a 10mm, Bar-Sto may be able to supply the barrel you need.