SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 43 issues and questions Update
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 43 issues and questions Update Login/Join 
Picture of rockchalk06
posted
This is my 2nd Glock 43. I had a Talo model for about 2 years as my carry weapon prior to selling it for my P365. I recently sold the P365 due to being uneasy about it and have since replaced it with another 43 Talo.

Never had an issue with my 1st one and kinda pissed I sold it. My 2nd Talo was purchased brand new. Took it home and made sure to break it down and clean everything. Especially the striker channel. Oiled the necessary locations and headed to the range. I had two stoppages and one kind of annoying issue. Light primer strike on 124 grain MEN ammo. Second time to fire the round and it discharged. 2nd issue was a failure to eject. Slide moved to the rear about a 1/4" and froze. Almost felt like there was too much pressure being applied from the mag/rounds in the mag. Factory 6 round mags loaded to capacity. Round felt full power. I fired 134 more rounds and no stoppages that trip. The big issue was almost every round felt like had trouble fully seating in the chamber. Like almost a split second hangup before it fully seated. I checked 10 random pulled rounds from the 4 types of ammo I was using that day and placed each into the chamber (after barrel was pulled from slide) and each would seat perfectly. I did notice a shit ton of brass shavings in and around the slide/frame. Brass had some gnarly grooves. It felt like each time a round would be fed into the chamber, the extractor had to jump over the rim. I slowly fed the live round into the chamber by racking the slide and watching as the round was expelled from the mag and it literally gets popped out of the mag and does not get placed under the extractor claw between it and the chamber face.

I took the gun back to my dealer and he had his Glock rep/armorer take a look at it. They claim nothing was wrong. Fired 48 rounds with no issues. Claimed I had too much oil inside? No more oil than I have always put in my weapons for the last 20 plus years. This includes 10 different Glocks. Shop owner said he "properly" lubed the weapon and I left.

Forward to yesterday. I left the weapon untouched after leaving his shop. Fired 242 rounds of a mix of ammo. The issue I had before is gone where the extractor claw feels likes its jumping over the rim of the case. They claim they didn't replace anything or do any work. I did have a light primer strike at round 201. It's done so it is what it is. Now I have another issue.

I fire my weapons by the trigger reset. I load both mags to capacity and seat them. I Rack the slide and proceed to fire. With the trigger held to the rear after it fires, when I release the trigger to it's reset, the slide is moving forward about a 1/16" and going fully into battery. However it is only doing this with the first 2 sometimes 3 rounds. After that, it functions 100%.

One other thing I've noticed during dry fire sessions is when the weapon is unloaded and the trigger pulled, the slide seems to have sufficient tension from the recoil spring to keep it in battery like normal. However, when it is cocked or the slide has been cycled, it will come out of battery with little force. That seems odd to me. I do not have any other Glock models to test this against, but 2 Sig P22X, 320 and a 1911 of mine are not like this.

I apologize for the long read, but I'm at a brick wall here. My dealer (former due this issue and his CS) and his Armorer have found nothing wrong or just passed the buck. His guy (he said) was employed with Glock as the Armorer Instructor for this area. My other option is send it off to Glock, but I have zero confidence in doing this. Both the shop owner and his guy have questions my motives seeing as they both claim to have found nothing wrong. This really pisses me off as my motive is to get a working firearm. I've got about 250 dollars in custom leather ordered for this as well as about 150 in mags and extensions purchased (from the same damn dealer). I told them my intentions are pretty damn clear that I intend on carrying a Glock 43.

Ammo used:
124 grain FMJ M.E.N.
124 grain FMJ Federal AE
124 grain FMJ Blazer Brass
124 grain Federal HST plus p and standard pressure
147 grain Federal HST plus p and standard pressure

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rockchalk06,

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if your slide is out of specs. Just curious does this phenom occur with both mags or just one?

I would at least call Glock CS; sending it back is optional. They can sometimes point you in the right direction, but I'm guessing it needs to go back to the factory.

Don't fret, I know it's a pain in the A$$ but in the end I'm sure they will make it right. I personally have had to send four different brand new firearms back to the factory for service. Only in one case did it come back with the same problem.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stroonz:
I'm wondering if your slide is out of specs. Just curious does this phenom occur with both mags or just one?

I would at least call Glock CS; sending it back is optional. They can sometimes point you in the right direction, but I'm guessing it needs to go back to the factory.

Don't fret, I know it's a pain in the A$$ but in the end I'm sure they will make it right. I personally have had to send four different brand new firearms back to the factory for service. Only in one case did it come back with the same problem.

Thank you for the reply.

Both. I had installed a plus 2 Vickers extension on one of the mags, but pulled it on the first range trip to eliminate that variable.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if I understand the new problem your gun does not go into battery fully until you reset the trigger? Is there any possibility your thumb is dragging on the slide during firing? I read one review where this was happening and the operator had to change his grip and fixed the problem.
If you can duplicate this by dry firing I'd show that to the "Glock Armorer" at your gunshop

Good Luck

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if I understand the new problem your gun does not go into battery fully until you reset the trigger? Is there any possibility your thumb is dragging on the slide during firing? I read one review where this was happening and the operator had to change his grip and fixed the problem.
If you can duplicate this by dry firing I'd show that to the "Glock Armorer" at your gunshop

Good Luck

Yes sir. Maybe 1/16" from full battery until the click from reset. You can feel the entire upper move. It only does it with the first 2 rounds from a fully loaded 6 round mag. Last 4 rounds it does not.

My thumb was actually my first thought, but it's not the case. I purposely put both tubs high and to the left to ensure they were well out of the way. It continues to "hangup" when the mags are loaded to capacity.

I spoke to Glock about this, this afternoon and his only suggestion or comment was he thought the mag springs to too stiff or new and needed to be broken in. I would agree with him if the mags were like some of the Glock 19 mags I've had in the past where the 15th round took an elephant standing on them to seat the round, but these 6 round mags have more than enough room. I can almost get a 7th round there is that much space if that makes sense.

I cant duplicate this when dry firing and empty. I need to try this with some live rounds this evening.

posted Hide Post
I would suggest snap caps but you would need two packs because they only come 5 to a pack. Using live rounds scare me a bit.
You need to duplicate the movement of the slide during normal fire which is quite vigorous.

Please keep us updated. I am especially interested because I was actually contemplating purchasing a 43 and my notion of Glocks being extremely reliable right out of the box has been shaken.

quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
quote:

Good Luck

Yes sir. Maybe 1/16" from full battery until the click from reset. You can feel the entire upper move. It only does it with the first 2 rounds from a fully loaded 6 round mag. Last 4 rounds it does not.

My thumb was actually my first thought, but it's not the case. I purposely put both tubs high and to the left to ensure they were well out of the way. It continues to "hangup" when the mags are loaded to capacity.

I spoke to Glock about this, this afternoon and his only suggestion or comment was he thought the mag springs to too stiff or new and needed to be broken in. I would agree with him if the mags were like some of the Glock 19 mags I've had in the past where the 15th round took an elephant standing on them to seat the round, but these 6 round mags have more than enough room. I can almost get a 7th round there is that much space if that makes sense.

I cant duplicate this when dry firing and empty. I need to try this with some live rounds this evening.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The fact that you found brass shavings and # 1 and #2 rounds were effected makes me think you are correct in thinking the mag spring or the mag itself is at fault. I would suggest snap caps but you would need two packs because they only come 5 to a pack. Using live rounds scare me a bit.
You need to duplicate the movement of the slide during normal fire which is quite vigorous.

Please keep us updated. I am especially interested because I was actually contemplating purchasing a 43 and my notion of Glocks being extremely reliable right out of the box has been shaken.

quote:
quote:

Good Luck

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wouldn’t sweat it; I bought a 43 about 6 months ago that has been flawless. That should counter any paranoia you’re feeling Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

I wouldn’t sweat it; I bought a 43 about 6 months ago that has been flawless. That should counter any paranoia you’re feeling Big Grin

My original 43 was the same way. 100% flawless. The guy I sold it too has put so many rounds through it now that it’s inane. He’s had no issues either.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have a 43 that has been flawless from the first round until now. I have had over a dozen Glocks and all have been flawless, including a G19 I still have with over 20,000 rounds through it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Update on the 43. Glock sent me a new recoil spring assembly and a new extractor. Installed both on Friday. I immediately notice the weapon was stiffer on slide movement and kept in battery better if that makes sense.

Two range sessions later and no issues. 250 rounds on Saturday and 250 today. No hang ups and there is almost zero brass shavings in the weapon. Ammo was all 124 Federal AE. Should have my Taran Tactical Plus 1 next week and will put another 100 rounds of 147 grain HST standard pressure though with my carry mags. I think I’ll be confident after 600.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that it's up and running right.
I wonder what the deal was with the first RSA and extractor.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Good to hear that it's up and running right.
I wonder what the deal was with the first RSA and extractor.

Both recoil spring assemblies seem to be stiff in hand, but when installed, you can feel a noticeable difference in how they hold the weapon into battery.

The new extractor doesn’t feel as sharp and is not killing my spent casings like before. To the eye, I can’t tell a bit of difference, but man it locks up like a normal Glock now and the brass is clean coming out. Honestly, the old extractor was chewing the brass up so bad I doubt I’d want to reload it.

After talking with the Glock guy Dan K., my 43 even though purchased new from my dealer, was out of warranty. It was over two years old. Not sure if it sat at the distributor or my dealer that long, but he said the one year was gone.

I’m pretty damned stoked though. My issues I believe are done and over with. I should have never of sold my previous 43 Talo. If and when Sig gets their shit together on the P365, I will have another one as the weapon fit me like a glove, but I’ll damn sure not ever sell this 43.

posted Hide Post
Good to hear you got it up and running satisfactorily!

Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. I'm at 548 rounds down range now. If there was any break in period, I'm past it now. I'm scheduled to take a class of 200 rounds this Friday. I was going to bring my P320SC or my M11-A1, but I think I will take this 43 now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks. I'm at 548 rounds down range now. If there was any break in period, I'm past it now. I'm scheduled to take a class of 200 rounds this Friday. I was going to bring my P320SC or my M11-A1, but I think I will take this 43 now.

Nice. Good to hear. I have a new G29sf that is experiencing light strikes. I called glock and they are sending me a new RSA. I'm hoping this solves the issue as it did for you.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
After talking with the Glock guy Dan K., my 43 even though purchased new from my dealer, was out of warranty. It was over two years old. Not sure if it sat at the distributor or my dealer that long, but he said the one year was gone.

What? A brand new gun, never shot, never owned, is out of warranty because it took over a year to sell? If so, that is utter bullshit. The warranty should begin when the consumer picks it up at the gun store.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What? A brand new gun, never shot, never owned, is out of warranty because it took over a year to sell? If so, that is utter bullshit. The warranty should begin when the consumer picks it up at the gun store.

Yup. That's what I told him, but in the end, he did help me out.

posted Hide Post
The Glock rep was in error. The warranty is one year from date of purchase by the consumer, NOT the wholesaler or the dealer. From their website:

"Subject to terms, conditions and limitations outlined below, GLOCK, Inc. guarantees its pistols against defects in materials and workmanship that adversely affect their operation for a period of one (1) year from the date of their original purchase by the initial consumer. This warranty is valid only for pistols purchased and used in the United States of America, its territories and possessions and Puerto Rico."

Glad they took care of you, though. Glock is usually pretty good about that.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky315:
The Glock rep was in error. The warranty is one year from date of purchase by the consumer, NOT the wholesaler or the dealer. From their website:

"Subject to terms, conditions and limitations outlined below, GLOCK, Inc. guarantees its pistols against defects in materials and workmanship that adversely affect their operation for a period of one (1) year from the date of their original purchase by the initial consumer. This warranty is valid only for pistols purchased and used in the United States of America, its territories and possessions and Puerto Rico."

Glad they took care of you, though. Glock is usually pretty good about that.

I agree and I brought that up to him. I stopped arguing when he agreed to help. He told me I couldn’t use online return form on their site due to the date the Glock was shipped, he had to send me a return label via email. Which he did, but he agreed to send the two parts first. I still have the label he sent me if they didn’t fix my issue. Dan Kuczynski was the guy from Glock.