SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which 9mm 1911 for USPSA Single Stack?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 9mm 1911 for USPSA Single Stack? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m lookin at the Dan Wesson PM9 but I’m open to suggestions. No custom guns at this point, just a reliable gun.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot many rounds in a springfield and a kimber. I think the springfield is a much better gun and I would have no problems recommending it. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I didn't know the 1911 was a rifle....

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd spend more and get the Ed Brown Evo, MSRP is $1999, I'm sure you can find them for less.

That being said my 1911 experience includes owning a Wilson Combat, Ed Brown (my fav.), several 9mm government 1911 Colts etc., an S+W. etc That being said I never shot a DW, but hear they're very good quality.

I do have a Colt Competition 9mm S/S. It is a phenomenal gun, very accurate, has everything you'd want (F/O front site etc.), slide to frame fit and barrel bushing fit rival my Wilson Combat, trigger breaks very clean but is a touch heavy at 5lbs or more, the trigger has a little up and down movement, and the grip safety has side to side movement...…..but it's a very very well put together gun and very accurate for it's $850 price point and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
Interesting. I didn't know the 1911 was a rifle....

Indeed. Oops, please relocate if you would.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
For USPSA single stack, there is a few rules such as 43 oz weight limit and also that it has to use a traditional barrel bushing. So the EVO is not allowed.

Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Smith & Wesson Pro Series 1911 in 9mm. I have one and never had any issues.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Over time I've had three types of 9MM 1911s that were reliable from day one, with no tinkering, adjusting, polishing or anything. They were 2 Dan Wesson PM9s, three Kimber,YES KIMBER, Target IIs, and an STI Trojan. All were accurate enough for Run N'Gun games IMHO, with the accuracy going edge to the STI and DWs.

My luck with more than one Colt, and one Springfield 9mm as received was not so good...

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Dan Wesson PM9 and have never had any issue with it. Reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. Liked it so much I got a second one.

Posts: 214 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also shooting a 1911 this year. I have two DW Valors. The Pointman is a better choice. If I had 1400 bucks lying around I might get one. My Valors have ben 100%. With the Pointman I would consider a magwell and call it done.

I am biased though. I think DW has nailed the cost value 1911 market. You can pay a lot more but the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I no longer see the worth of paying 1000 dollars more for a very neglible gain.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
For USPSA single stack, there is a few rules such as 43 oz weight limit and also that it has to use a traditional barrel bushing. So the EVO is not allowed.

I'm not aware of the USPSA rules, and also didn't notice the Ed Brown didn't have a traditional barrel bushing. But just looked at their site and it doesn't. Which is weird because every single Ed Brown on their site besides the EVO has the traditional barrel bushing.

I'd take a hard look at the Colt Competition 9mm......as well as the Dan Wessons……...for the OPs price point, those two would be the ones I'd look hard at, there's also a used Les Baer as an option......or used WC or Brown.....

posted Hide Post
I haven't bought a 1911 type in some time and can't recommend a current make and model.
I have shot single stack with Colt, Springfield, and Empirical Arms (Local shop) Caspian build. Anything reliable will do.

9mm is popular for cheap low recoil ammo, but a .40 or .45 will gain you some points with Major power factor scoring. I quit shooting USPSA Major and IDPA CDP as my recoil tolerance faded, so it is now Minor all the way.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

I shoot .40 in Limited Division for the Major scoring. I’ll just be dabbling in single stack so the the 2 extra rounds and lower cost ammo will be appreciated.

Picture of OlympicFox
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Single Stack in USPSA along with CDP/ESP in IDPA.

My Single Stack Major/CDP gun is an STI Sentry. Unfortunately, STI has all but abandoned the traditional 1911 platform.

My Single Stack Minor/ESP gun is a Nighthawk Dominator; no doubt my favorite 1911.

If I was going to build a new Single Stack Minor/ESP gun, I'd start with a Dan Wesson PM9. Nothing less expensive comes close, and even the more expensive semi-customs like my Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, etc will need the same upgrades and tuning that the Dan Wesson will need to turn it into a righteous Single Stack competitor.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell

Posts: 168 | Location: Olympic Peninsula | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I have a Springer Range Officer in 9mm and .45. The 9 is just a sweet, accurate shooter that eats my hand loads regardless of bullet weight. The .45 is also a fine shooter, though a bit tighter in slide to frame fit. Paid $700 bucks for each, added 10 rnd mags and a mag well grip to the 9mm. Both ride in a Comp-Tac 'International' holster. I'm not classified in Single Stack, just have not shot enough classifiers with it.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with my Colt Comp model. Very accurate as well as 100% reliable. Has a FO frt sight, decent trigger and useable grips too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I was looking at this setup https://benstoegerproshop.com/...mm-single-stack-kit/ as it seems a good price.

Though if the Colt or Springfield run well, I’m okay with that too. I like the Springfield price but I didn’t want to have to have it ‘smithed to work. Adding a magwell or something isn’t a concern.

I do like the CompTac holsters for this and the price, I have a few.

What magazines seem to work best? Ideally, it will run the same ammo as my other 9’s. A 124 or 135 Blue Bullet at about 1.130”

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I was looking at this setup https://benstoegerproshop.com/...mm-single-stack-kit/ as it seems a good price.

Though if the Colt or Springfield run well, I’m okay with that too. I like the Springfield price but I didn’t want to have to have it ‘smithed to work. Adding a magwell or something isn’t a concern.

I do like the CompTac holsters for this and the price, I have a few.

What magazines seem to work best? Ideally, it will run the same ammo as my other 9’s. A 124 or 135 Blue Bullet at about 1.130”

That looks like a nice gun in the link. I'd go Colt Competition (in 9mm or .45, blued or s/s) over Springfield......If I had to choose between the 2. My Competition 9mm has run flawless and is a very nice well put together tight gun, has a FO front site, good trigger, very accurate, G10 grips and can be bought for $850 new.

posted Hide Post
I doubt anybody will recommend against Dan Wesson, they have a great reputation.

Never heard of a Zenith magazine, they seem to be made by Metalform, which are OK.

I am using Tripp and CMC XP mostly.

I have one Wilson second generation and one current Wilson/McCormick Range Pro and they are doing well.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will also go with Dan Wesson but as a second less expensive choice a Kimber. My Kimber stainless has been rock solid reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot. Having a feed ramp takes care of many problems associated with .45 1911's. The only negative I have and maybe it is my old hands is loading the 10 round Wilson 9mm mags to capacity is very difficult.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post