SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Early P220...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early P220... Login/Join 
posted
Got me a 1976...

First full year of production Cool

Posts: 1315 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!!!! That's a classic for any collection. The box is just icing on the cake! Get a few mags, oil her up and hit the range- then get back with a report!!!!!

I'd be hard pressed to pass one similar by, if ever presented the option.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
Beautiful!!!! That's a classic for any collection. The box is just icing on the cake! Get a few mags, oil her up and hit the range- then get back with a report!!!!!

I'd be hard pressed to pass one similar by, if ever presented the option.
Thanks

Yes, the box is just like the P210's box from the same time period, which makes sense.

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice.

Thank you for sharing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here it is with my 1983 model to show the differences in the slide itself and slide serrations...

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Very nice examples. Your JD coded 9mm is one of the Exeter imported pistols which was manufactured long before SIG relocated to NH. There were actually two slide variations produced between your 1976 - 1983 examples. One did not have the pinched nose front but retained the square profile ejection port. The next variation was very similar to your 1983 version though the cocking serrations extending to the rear of the slide flat. I've identified seven (7) slide variations used on the P220 between 1976 - 1996. Enjoy.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That's a nice hognose

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Very cool guys.
I was comparing your pics to my 2017 mfg P220 Legion and appreciating how something so different could still be so similar.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Great find! I love the early guns.

quote:
I've identified seven (7) slide variations used on the P220 between 1976 - 1996

hjs157 Time for you to share ;-)

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Looks a lot like my 9mm BDA, except for the grips. I love those older Sigs.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Looks a lot like my 9mm BDA, except for the grips. I love those older Sigs.

Sig imported them under that name starting in 1977 or 1978. That was the only way to get them into the country.

Sig didn't import them under their own name until the early 1980's.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Udo:
Great find! I love the early guns.

quote:
I've identified seven (7) slide variations used on the P220 between 1976 - 1996

hjs157 Time for you to share ;-)

Yes, please. That would be cool.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Is this one pre-rebounding hammer?

Posts: 1847 | Registered: July 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RX-79G:

Yes it is. As recall the rebounding hammer was introduced around 1993. I believe the serial number cut-off is in the serial numbers thread, but I get it confused with when the reinforced frame was introduced.

hjs157 probably knows off the top of his head.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Also have one made in 76-serial is G 104063. Imported by Hawes. Looks unfired since factory also in 9 MM. Have not shot it yet. Came with 1 mag but found a new one on flea bay. Like the old Sigs.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I really got pretty luck with my 1977 model. It came with 5 extra magazines. Once again Brian, nice early P220. Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes it is. So is the 1983 model pictured. Neither hammer rebounds.

Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Sweet. Congratulations on your find.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
What year did they stop the serrated trigger?

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
quote:

Yes it is. As recall the rebounding hammer was introduced around 1993. I believe the serial number cut-off is in the serial numbers thread, but I get it confused with when the reinforced frame was introduced.

hjs157 probably knows off the top of his head.

The reinforced frame was introduced at serial number G 211299. The rebound hammer was introduced at serial number G 219166.

Here are the slide variations I have identified:

Type I - Pinched nose w/ large square ejection port (earliest pistols - all calibers except 45 auto)
Type II - Square nose w/ large square ejection port - cocking serrations extending to the rear of the slide
Type III - Same as Type II but with small square ejection port
Type IV - Same as Type III but with small round ejection port
Type V - Same as Type IV but with serrations stopping ~1/2" from the rear of the slide
Type VI - Same as Type V but with rounded slide top
Type VII - Same as Type VI but with dovetailed front sight

(These do not include sub-varations due to differences in slide markings.)

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post