SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG Sauer P938 Legion: More Than Gray Paint and a Chevron
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Sauer P938 Legion: More Than Gray Paint and a Chevron Login/Join 
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted
I am the owner of a new P938 Legion pistol. Although the P938 has been out for years, I had no interest until I saw the recently released Legion version. After trying a P938 Nightmare version at my indoor range, I decided to buy the Legion. I placed my order with Kentucky Gun Company, which had the lowest price by far of the sellers I checked.

In this buyer’s opinion, the Legion is well worth the extra cost. The SAS treatment of the slide, the three 7-round magazines, magwell , checkered G10 grips, the checkering of the front and back straps, X-Ray 3 sights, and the flat aluminum trigger all make this a bargain. Owners of other P938 models may have to pay much more to add these features. By the way, the magwell and back strap are MIM, not plastic, so they add some additional weight as well as durability. My gun weighed in at 19.4 oz. with an empty magazine.

I can comfortably get three fingers on the grip frame and the gun feels very secure in my hand. My gun came with a #6 front sight and a #8 rear sight, and it shoots a little high at 10 yards, so a 6 o’clock hold is necessary.

My biggest negative is the trigger pull - it is heavy. Out of the box, mine measured at over 8 lbs. After 125 rounds fired, it now measures 7 lbs., 6 oz., still way too heavy for me. I am debating if I want to spend the extra money for a professional trigger job.

After two trips to the shooting range, all rounds have fed, fired, extracted, and ejected without issue. My Legion has a strong magazine release spring, so I have not had any inadvertent mag drops like I did with the range gun.

The manual safety is very positive, but somewhat difficult to operate with only the thumb. I removed the right-side lever because it pinched my hand when switched off. Removing the off side lever eliminated some friction, so the manual safety is slightly easier to operate now.

I will refrain from regurgitating the gun’s specifications and manual of arms. You can find them on SIG’s website or any of the gazillion P938 reviews on YouTube. And now the basic gun design has been replicated by Kimber with its Micro 9 and Springfield Armory with its 911 model.

I have no experience actually carrying the P938 yet, although I did order a pocket holster for it from El Paso Saddelry.

P938left1k by GaryBF, on Flickr

RSafety Rem by GaryBF, on Flickr

Mag well by GaryBF, on Flickr

Holster by GaryBF, on Flickr

Box Label by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Great write up. Thanks for the review!

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I just picked one up myself and haven't had time to hit the range. I'm considering it for my summer carry gun.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife bought a P238 Legion. She absolutely loves it! I have to agree with you that the Legion in the P238/P938 is more than paint & chevron. Now I want a New P938 Legion for myself.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Nice piece. I was stuck between the 938 and the Kimber micro 9. I went with the Kimber. Still question if I’d have been better off with the 938.
Thank for the write-up. I like the feedback.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently learned that the 938 is a licensed copy of the old Colt Mustang. Interesting. I do find the trigger pull to be heavy also but a sweet gun nonetheless. Thanks for the review.

Posts: 114 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
My 938 Legion is on the way. I should have it by Friday or Monday.

I wouldn't mess with the trigger until you've put a bunch of rounds through it or just dry fire the crap out of it. My experience with my 938 Extreme was the more use the better the trigger got.

Also, you can make your safety left side only by buying a P238 left side safety and a standard hammer pin. Thats the first thing I'll do when I get mine. I bought spares when I did the same thing to my extreme. I keep the ambi parts in the box so it can be put back to ambi if I ever need to do that for any reason.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
After 125 rounds fired, it now measures 7 lbs., 6 oz

That really sucks. Is that normal?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 238 and 938. My 238 is perfection! My 938, however, jams at least 3 or 4 times per 50 rounds at the range. Sometimes it feels like the magazine does not fully fit in place. There is definitely a difference with the 238. Also, I seem to be getting some metal wear on the slide. I clean this gun every time after the range. I probably (tried) to shoot 600 or so rounds through the 938. Quite frustrating. (The 238 has had 2000-3000 rounds or so with no mechanical errors or wear. Suggestions?

Elvisismydog

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 12, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If your P938 is misbehaving, call SIG and send it back for repair.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timrh23:

I recently learned that the 938 is a licensed copy of the old Colt Mustang. Interesting. I do find the trigger pull to be heavy also but a sweet gun nonetheless. Thanks for the review.
P938 is 9mm Luger. Was the Colt Mustang ever manufactured in any caliber other than .380 ACP?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
7-8lb trigger pull on a single action only pistol seems too heavy to me....

The main function of single action only (SAO) is to carry it cocked and locked and then be able to flip the safety off with you thumb once the target is acquired and have a light crisp trip of the trigger.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. Although it shouldn't be necessary, I have decided to go all in. My Legion will be departing on Monday for a visit to The SIG Armorer in TX.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I totally agree. Although it shouldn't be necessary, I have decided to go all in. My Legion will be departing on Monday for a visit to The SIG Armorer in TX.
I bought a P938 from a SIGforum member. The pistol had previously been to The SIG Armorer.

Another forum member has a similar P938 that is factory stock. We took them both to the range and did some comparison shooting.

Mine, the one that had been worked on by The SIG Armorer, was definitely a bit nicer to shoot. Smoother trigger, a bit lighter. The other thing that had been done to it was to convert the ambidextrous safety to left-side-only. As far as I have been able to tell, LOK is the only source for grips for a P938 with the right side safety removed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I guess for the SAO fan the P938 makes a lot of sense. And despite my recent post about the Legion version in another thread, I suppose that variant does scratch certain itches. But yesterday having to again wrestle with getting its guide rod back in with that ****ING flat wire Slinky of a recoil spring on a customer gun, I'm of the belief that persons of a certain age and physical dexterity need not bother. It seems that I've reached that age...

The original coiled wire spring may not have been the most reliable, but at least I could get it back on the gun without much fanfare.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Don’t all 938’s have checkered front straps. I’ve owned several and they all did so this feature isn’t exclusive to the legion. As for replication of design Sig did that as well. The 238/938 were “borrowed” designs from the Colt Mustang/Pony and to a lesser extent the Colt Pocket 9.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by timrh23:

P938 is 9mm Luger. Was the Colt Mustang ever manufactured in any caliber other than .380 ACP?

No. Colt did however make a Pocket 9 which borrowed a lot it the design language from the mustang line. The big difference was the pocket 9 was DAO. I believe Kahr infringed on the offset feedramp design of the pocket 9. Caliber aside it’s tough to look at a 938 and not see exactly how closely it resembles a Mustang.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
As far as pocket carry goes, I have found that the Desantis "Super Fly" is a much better answer than their Nemesis for the P938. The Nemesis prints...badly.

Desantis Super Fly

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gaspipes
posted Hide Post
I got my 938 Legion on Monday and took it to the range today.

I shot some Federal HST 147gr and some Gold Dot 147gr both had no issues. I had about 25 rounds of each. Also shot 150 rounds of Remington 115gr FMJ(50rds) and Fiocchi 115gr FMJ(100rds). Flawless.

I had sent my 938 Extreme back to Sig for the mag drop issue. Shot about 50 rounds though that today also with the 2 7rd mags I have. Also flawless.

I'm happy with both my 938's. I love everything about the Legion.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1345 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I’ve been carrying my non-legion 938 in a Bladetech Klipt. Very happy with that IWB holster.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post