SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 Elite Stainless in 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 Elite Stainless in 9mm Login/Join 
posted
I'm in the market for a P229 Elite stainless in 9mm and was surprise to see they are no longer listed on Sig's website. Does that mean discontinued? Retail locations, claiming to still have them in stock, are listing as either 13 or 15 round mag capacity. Sig's website lists a 13 and (15 round (flush)) mag for the P229, but the 15 round listing has a caveat stating "E2 and updated P229 models"(magazine marked 229-1). Does anyone know why two different mag round counts and what the heck does all that means for the 15 round mag? Don't know if I should ask Sig or if they would even tell me...

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magazines for the 229-1 body are ever so slightly larger than those for the original 229 in 9mm. With the extra size, they are able to fit two more rounds in the same length magazine.

I have no idea which ones come with the Elite Stainless.

Posts: 117 | Registered: February 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbmcmjr:
... With the extra size, they are able to fit two more rounds in the same length magazine.

I have to disagree with this part of your statement, as there are flush fit non "-1" 15rd mags for the P228/P229. The original W.German P228 9mm mags were always 13rds, but improvements in manufacturing later allowed MecGar to make a 15rd flush fit mag. Now you can buy them in either 13rd or 15rd.

See here: http://gregcotellc.com/cart/si...mgp22815b-p-619.html

Originally the P229 in .40/.357 used a different frame than the 9mm models, and they were slightly wider in the magwell area to fit the larger bullets. They later streamlined the manufacturing and made the 9mm use the same frame, and made wider 9mm mags which they label P229-1 so we can differentiate between them.

While the original non "-1" mags fit and function in the wider magwell of the newer P229s, they may rattle ever so slightly. The P229-1 mags are wider simply to provide a better fit in the wider magwell of those newer frames, but it's not enough to increase mag capacity.

The newer P229-1 mags are not backwards compatible with older framed P228 or P229s, so if you have one of those it would make sense to buy all non "-1" mags and share them between both pistols. If you have only the newer frames there is no reason not to just buy the appropriate P229-1 mags, as prices are the same.

Edited in bold for clarity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JBird679,

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentleman for your comments and knowledge. I'm still wondering why they have dropped off the Sig website and why are retail folks offering a 13 or 15 round capacity? If production, since 2010 is the wider frame; what is the purpose of selling with 13 round mag? It certainly isn't a state compliance issue; that would be 10.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wiskytango
posted Hide Post
Commenting to follow. About to buy one here in Va.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Iceman killeth

P226 Elite TB
MK25
P226 Navy
P220 SAS
P229r DAK

Posts: 32 | Location: Fredericksburg, Va | Registered: April 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the availability of this model, or which frame it comes with. As far as I know, the P229-1 mags were only ever available in 15rd, so if this model comes with a 13rd then perhaps it is the older frame style? I don't think Sig would ship the bigger framed gun with a loose fitting mag. I think they still offer the 13rd just because some people are purists and that's what the old original W.German P228s came with.

I'm also not sure if Sig does currently or has recently offered any specialty models that come with the older frame, but I wouldn't put it past them. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to comment on this.

Side note: besides being able to use either mag type with the newer frame, you can also caliber swap it up to a .40 or .357 with a slide. With the older frame you can only swap down to a .22lr. Pretty cool if those things are important to you.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post