SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Matching my competition pistol to my CCW (new pistol day)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matching my competition pistol to my CCW (new pistol day) Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted
Finally my OCD can subside. Wink

I decided to switch to a striker pistol for my USPSA production gun so since I carry the M&P compact as my CCW what better choice than the 5" full size version. I can't wait to get out tonight after work and see how it shoots.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
What sights will you put on it?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I just picked up the same 5” M and P myself. Feels great in the hand! I hope I can get it out soon as well.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have Trijicon HD's on the compact and I really love them. I was intending on getting a set of competition f.o. sights for the full size since it's going to be used mainly for matches but I may put the Trijicons on that one too.
Other than sights and maybe a $.025 trigger job I think this pistol is damned near perfect.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
There is a lot to be said for the OP doing what he's done. OTOH: I like variety Smile (Hopefully that doesn't bite me in the tender bits someday.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I have Trijicon HD's on the compact and I really love them. I was intending on getting a set of competition f.o. sights for the full size since it's going to be used mainly for matches but I may put the Trijicons on that one too.
Other than sights and maybe a $.025 trigger job I think this pistol is damned near perfect.

May I recommend Dawson Precision black rear/fiber optic front sights? Really good for Steel Challenge, etc. type matches on a 5" M&P.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I picked up the same model last year and absolutely love it. It’s had me longing for a 4”. I installed the Warren Tactical black rears with fiber front and an Apex FFS kit. It’s a dream to shoot and easy to shoot accurately and quickly.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:

May I recommend Dawson Precision black rear/fiber optic front sights? Really good for Steel Challenge, etc. type matches on a 5" M&P.

The coyote X-Five I just picked up has those. They look really nice.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1744 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have Dawson sights on 2 other pistols I own so this one will most likely get the same.
Man, this thing is really easy to shoot. The ergonomics are almost perfect for me and the trigger while a little heavy has the breaking the glass rod feel. Sights and a couple springs and I dub her perfect.

You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
While I’ve moved away from the M&P series I feel your OCD pain. Did the Sig 226/239 thing, then the Glock 34/19 thing, then the M&P FS and Shield thing, and I’m currently doing the Glock 17/43 thing.

My OCD has been expensive. On each of my competitions has sat a set of Dawson Serrated black rear sights and a FO Front.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Hah! I did the same thing with a Glock 19 and a Glock 34 MOS. Same trigger, same grip, etc. I'm glad I'm not alone in my OCD!

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sights and a couple springs and I dub her perfect.

Apex spring/sear is the ticket.
That, or put 8-10,000 rounds through it.
Or, do both. Big Grin

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I'm really liking the M&P compact, my 17 rnd mags, and my holsters work with most all of the pistols. My CCW(.40C), Production, Limited, and Carry optic guns are all M&P's. Ergo wise, one of the best platforms. Reliability has been spot on, though trigger changes and at least one barrel swap to better meet the competition use.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My latest CCW is a Shield .45 2.0...with added Triji Nght Sights and a full Apex firing system.
I also have a similar Shield 2,0 in 8 MM...and find the S&W platforms very nice and a good value for their intended purpose. My Sig 226, X5L1 and 210 are great guns, but obviously not for ccw.
The Shields shoot just as well in my hands as my H&K 30sk's, and are a little easier to carry.
Also, fwiw, the Shield 2.0 in .45 is a reliable tackdriver even in my old hands.

S&W is putting out some very nice, affordable products IMHO and offering plenty of options for their customers.

But they are adifferent product than some of the old, custom shop Sigs.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a M&P 5” in 9mm for competition and range fun as well. It has an Apex kit in it that drops the trigger weight to 2.5lbs. It’ll never get carried that’s for sure.

My EDC is the M&P compact 9mm and I have the 4” full-size for carry as well.

All of them have the Trijicon HD sights and Apex kits.

I really like the platform and it’s nice that 2 out of the three take the same mags and the compact will take a 17 round mag.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Shot my first USPSA match last weekend with my new M&P.

There were a lot of long shots on plate racks and some precariously placed no-shoots so good marksmanship was going to be a biggie and I was kicking myself for deciding to run a new pistol. Transitioning from my old CZ with it's tuned up trigger to a bone stock striker gun was looking like quite a challenge.

All of my worrying was in vain though. I was slower than normal but I scored better hits than I've had in a long time. I measured the trigger pull at just under 6# but the break is super clean with no overtravel.

I really enjoyed shooting this pistol and will be shooting it at more matches this summer.

Also I went with Trijicon HD XR's on my 5". I was on the fence until I found someone selling a set locally for $70 and couldn't pass them up.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shot my first USPSA match last weekend with my new M&P.

There were a lot of long shots on plate racks and some precariously placed no-shoots so good marksmanship was going to be a biggie and I was kicking myself for deciding to run a new pistol. Transitioning from my old CZ with it's tuned up trigger to a bone stock striker gun was looking like quite a challenge.

All of my worrying was in vain though. I was slower than normal but I scored better hits than I've had in a long time. I measured the trigger pull at just under 6# but the break is super clean with no overtravel.

I really enjoyed shooting this pistol and will be shooting it at more matches this summer.

Also I went with Trijicon HD XR's on my 5". I was on the fence until I found someone selling a set locally for $70 and couldn't pass them up.

Great to hear the M&P platform is working as well for you as it has for me these last few years. It's nice to find something that just fits you and works.
Enjoy.