SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there an extended mag release for the P365?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there an extended mag release for the P365? Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
I went into the LGS the other day to kill some time waiting on my wife at her hair appointment. I picked up a P365 and couldn't reach the mag release without seriously moving the gun around in my hand. I had been considering this as a replacement carry gun, but not if I can't drop the mag. So is there an extended mag release for them? I couldn't find any with a google search.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Armory Craft has one in the works, but isn't selling it presently. You can get on a list to be notified when it's available.

https://www.armorycraft.com/pr...e-catch-with-texture

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Extended magazine catches make it much more likely that the magazine will be released unintentionally. You probably know that already, but it’s an important consideration with carry guns.

With the traditional left side mag catch I can’t release the magazines of any of the SIG pistols I own without shifting the gun in my hand, and that includes the P239 which has a smaller grip than I’m really comfortable with. That fact is the reason why long ago I started moving the mag catches to the right side and depressing them with my index finger. There is still a little hand position shifting required to do that, but not nearly as much as trying to do it with my thumb. The only drawback to the index finger release is that during some training classes unobservant instructors may think one is putting his finger on the trigger during magazine changes. In fact, of course, using the index finger to depress the mag catch positively removes it from the trigger, and it may be necessary to explain that. Some older flexible (leather) holsters will sometimes press on a right side mag catch, and it may be necessary to modify them. All the properly-designed holsters I have seen in recent years, however, don’t do that.

I also used to recommend the same thing to other shooters who had the same problem, but I soon found out that almost no one was interested in doing that. Except for left-handed shooters, virtually everyone prefers to put up with the inconvenience of shifting the gun in their grip and trying to reach the catch with their thumb. I therefore don’t bother making that recommendation any more.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other options include relieving material aft of the mag release, on the frame, and building the mag release slightly higher.

I don't care for activating the mag release with the same finger or an adjacent finger that's also used for the trigger. I've managed to discharge a pistol while shooting with my oft hand, when doing a mag change, using the off hand shooting middle finger to activate the mag release. Normally, if shooting off hand and doing a mag change, I do use that middle finger, but it comes with a potential risk.

The shift in the strong hand to activate using the thumb is slight at best, and keeping it on the left side of the frame when shooting right handed keeps the mag release out of the way most of the time.

I can see where placing the mag release on the right side of the frame would be a natural position if someone is shooting a lot of AR; the index finger movement to the release is with the same finger, just moving aft of the trigger instead of forward.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the paddle releases on HK pistols. I like them, and they're easily. manipulated with either hand, or fingers on either side of the frame. Never cared for heel releases. I'm not a fan of extended releases, either, due to the possibility of inadvertently dropping a mag. The vickers releases on glocks are a nice compromise between factory standard and factory extended. I use them on all my glocks.

The new Icarus Precision frames (all metal) is expensive, but is relieved behind the mag release (something easily done on the plastic Sig frame.

I haven't ordered one yet, but am planning to order a Grayguns P365 sculpted grip. I have several others, and the grip is slightly reduced with the texturing. The change is subtle, but it does enhance the ability to operate the mag release too, I think. Though I don't have one in hand yet, I suspect the same is true of the P365 grip they offer. When I get back from Vietnam, I'll check one out. There are options other than just extending the mag release.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not using one’s index finger for anything other than pulling the trigger is another oft-cited reason for not switching the mag catch.

What is not so oftly-mentioned, though, is that generations of left-handed shooters of guns like the 1911 or others that don’t permit switching the magazine catch didn’t—and don’t—seem to have any problems with not confusing whether their finger is pushing in on the catch or pulling back on the trigger. And, as is sometimes mentioned, neither do AR shooters. Evidently. But as I say, I don’t recommend the practice any longer, and if challenged about a do as I say versus do as I do inconsistency, that’s another reason to mention.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have switched all mag releases to the right side except 1911s (I’d do those if I could).

For those that think it's an accident waiting to happen, I wonder what you do on ARs.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

For those that think it's an accident waiting to happen, I wonder what you do on ARs.

Put your finger in front of the trigger guard, laying it straight, to activate the magazine release, for one thing, instead of placing it close to the trigger, bent, and pressing.

The AR mag release is on the same side of the weapon, but that's about the only similarity.

posted Hide Post
If your finger slips off a pistol mag release, it is "pushing" in the wrong direction to pull the trigger. We could argue all day. Do what you want.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have trouble pressing the mag release from a firing position/grip. I have to rotate my hand slightly on the grip to drop the mag. For me, since I don't carry an extra mag, I don't have to worry of a tactical reload.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post