SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Don't clean your gun.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't clean your gun. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is one way to damage your gun by not doing anything. Springs.

Maintenance and cleaning aren't the same.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I lube my guns regularly. I wipe down my guns after they've been sweated on heavily, or exposed to inclement weather. And I'll run a bore snake down the barrel every now and then, if I've been shooting it a bunch.

But most of my guns only get broken down and truly cleaned once or twice a year or so. (Even the guns that haven't been fired get at least wiped down with oil once a year.)

The exception is my old milsurps shooting corrosive ammo, which get the bores and bolt faces thoroughly flushed immediately after shooting, and then cleaned shortly after arriving home.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gordynismo:
I don’t like cleaning my guns. So I sold all my Sigs and bought Glocks Smile

You lost money for no reason, in that case.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
By all means, clean your guns. You're cleaning too much, and that's OK.

Mamma said I cleaned my gun too much. I said "It's mine and I'll clean it as much as I want."

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Not that kind of gun.

Arc.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure all I've ever done to my old Gen 3 G19 was apply 3 drops of oil once a year and run a bore snake through it every 5,000 rounds. Never had a single stoppage.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Not that kind of gun.

Oh. Red Face

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I'm pretty sure all I've ever done to my old Gen 3 G19 was apply 3 drops of oil once a year

Glocks should use 5 drops for lubrication.

Which three of the five spots were you lubing? Wink

Left slide rail
Right slide rail
Underside of slide where it meets the barrel hood
Barrel exterior and lug
Connector

(Or was it more of a rotation, where this year you oil the left rail, barrel, and connector, and next year you'll oil the right rail, slide underside, and slide exterior? Big Grin)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, but, other than corrosive milsurp, I don't clean my guns much. I lube before shooting, particularly where there is aluminum to steel contact in my Sigs and ARs, but other than lube, I clean when things get really ugly, or start to fail intermittently.

Does that make me a bad person?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Does that make me a bad person?

Turruble. Just Tuuurrubllle.

Arc.

Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This was going to be all controversial, and you've ruined it. I hope you're happy.

I'm actually not very happy. My mom married this doctor recently, and we moved into his house with his son. All was going ok, until I touched the son's drum set. And he freaked out. He said he would STAB ME IN THE NECK WITH A KNIFE. We fought, and I thought he was going to rape me. And then they took the TV away during shark week. Planet Bullshit.

I'm never going to call him dad, even if there's a fire.

Big Grin

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1878 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I clean my carry gun after I shoot it but it’s not detail cleaning. More of a knock the loose dirt off and lube it type cleaning. It’s a Glock so it’s more than necessary.

I clean the cylinders of my revolvers more than anything because eventually putting fresh cartridges in becomes a pain.

Regular range toys get some CLP wiped on them and run until they quit.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While nothing to crow about, I once went 10 months without cleaning my SCAR 17, shot about 800 RDS through it (suppressed) - maybe lubed it with a couple 3 drops of Remmy Oil once or twice on the bolt. Zero issues.

Carried my original recalled LCP for 8 months, never cleaned it once - went bang every time at the end of those 8 months - although the first shot had some extra projectile lint on round 1.

My Ruger Mark IIs only get cleaned when the FIL is looking for something to do. I’ll cue tip the chamber and bolt, add some lube, and that’s about it. If Ruger wanted them cleaned, they should have made them easier to take down.

And HOLY SHIT, I’ll shoot my carry guns at the range, then leave the range while carrying it DIRTY (reloaded with carry ammo). G19, M&P340, and G43 have all been subjected to such abuse.

I know I’m a bad person, but fondling firearms as a form of therapy or zen pales to the physical comforts available to most of us.

Yes I’ll do a quick clean of the carry gun eventually and it gets some minor attention monthly, but they’re like a bad girlfriend - the worse you treat them the more they put out for you.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Nobody cleans Ruger I/II/III's. People might clean the IV's, but fuck if they have to.

Arc.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I'm pretty sure all I've ever done to my old Gen 3 G19 was apply 3 drops of oil once a year

Glocks should use 5 drops for lubrication.

Which three of the five spots were you lubing? Wink

Left slide rail
Right slide rail
Underside of slide where it meets the barrel hood
Barrel exterior and lug
Connector

(Or was it more of a rotation, where this year you oil the left rail, barrel, and connector, and next year you'll oil the right rail, slide underside, and slide exterior? Big Grin)

He probably split two of the five drops. So, no harm was done. Razz

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I do this with all my carry guns, follow break in procedure per manual, clean, lube then count rounds until it fucks up. Took my xdm just over 1200 rounds to funk up. Wiped the gunk off and it went for another 300.

My sigpro went over 2000 rounds before I decided to just clean it. It was pretty funky and would stain my hands with powder residue just handling it. The shield is up to 700 rounds but it's too damn snappy to shoot all the time.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywendland1981:
I do this with all my carry guns, follow break in procedure per manual, clean, lube then count rounds until it fucks up. Took my xdm just over 1200 rounds to funk up. Wiped the gunk off and it went for another 300.

My sigpro went over 2000 rounds before I decided to just clean it. It was pretty funky and would stain my hands with powder residue just handling it. The shield is up to 700 rounds but it's too damn snappy to shoot all the time.

This.

I don't want to go steady with a girl I can't get dirty.

Arc.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not cleaning your Glock and it breaking is like the old joke about having an ugly girlfriend, if she leaves you, who cares.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Things I keep clean...cars, guns, dick. Not gonna change now

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently cleaned a few of my guns. My P320 is my EDC, so it got cleaned because I didn't want it to get my clothes dirty. And I'd noticed the P7 seemed dry, so may as well clean it while I have it apart. I had test fired a No4 Mk1* I'd come into, and though I'd only put 20 through it, I cleaned it because I'd removed the bolt to see if any damage appeared from firing (don't know previous history). Only did oil down the barrel, no solvent. Now the M70AB1 was a different story. Realized I hadn't cleaned it since I built it and it was filthy. But being an AK and all it probably didn't need it.

Before that, it'd probably been a year since I'd cleaned. I can't remember the last time I cleaned my XCR. Usually just drop some oil in before a 3-gun and call it good.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post