SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Don't clean your gun.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't clean your gun. Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ya know, I've had my SigPro for 4 or 5 years. I'm not sure I've ever cleaned it...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I'm pretty sure all I've ever done to my old Gen 3 G19 was apply 3 drops of oil once a year

Glocks should use 5 drops for lubrication.

Which three of the five spots were you lubing? Wink

Left slide rail
Right slide rail
Underside of slide where it meets the barrel hood
Barrel exterior and lug
Connector

(Or was it more of a rotation, where this year you oil the left rail, barrel, and connector, and next year you'll oil the right rail, slide underside, and slide exterior? Big Grin)

He probably split two of the five drops. So, no harm was done. Razz

You know me so well. Cool

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good old days of IPSC. Run that .45 until you could see the slide running sluggish. Run the slide back and shoot everything down with carb cleaner. It looked like West Texas crude running out of the gun. Repeat until it ran clear. Air dry, run oil down the rails and barrel hood. Start shooting again.

If you didn’t have little black dots all over your shooting glasses and bill of your ball cap, put more oil.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This was going to be all controversial, and you've ruined it. I hope you're happy.

I'm actually not very happy. My mom married this doctor recently, and we moved into his house with his son. All was going ok, until I touched the son's drum set. And he freaked out. He said he would STAB ME IN THE NECK WITH A KNIFE. We fought, and I thought he was going to rape me. And then they took the TV away during shark week. Planet Bullshit.

I'm never going to call him dad, even if there's a fire.

Well I would tell his Dad that I’m going to shove one of his fake hearing devices so far up his ass he will be able to hear his small intestines as it produces SHIT!

I don’t sweat the pistoleros being squeaky. If you’ve done this long enough you know your pistol and when you need to do something. I do laugh when I read “I shot 75 flawless rounds through then cleaned “her” and put “her” back in the safe. I always think to myself, cool, hope you changed your tampon too allstar. Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
While nothing to crow about, I once went 10 months without cleaning my SCAR 17, shot about 800 RDS through it (suppressed) - maybe lubed it with a couple 3 drops of Remmy Oil once or twice on the bolt. Zero issues.

Got a few years on my ARX and 3500 or so rounds. I haven’t cleaned it once. It’s still chewing and spitting. Some of those rounds suppressed too. The only thing I care about being perfect clean, is my elr bolt. Anything else, if it needs maintenance all the time, even if just cleaning it, I don’t even want it. I’ve got shit to do.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
I clean my pistols every 200 rounds Razz

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I Flork my gun like a Saigon whore, with Bruce grease.

(according to Marzy...)

I clean it when the gunk starts moving on it's own.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Only reason I clean my work gun after shooting it is because if we have a shooting and I don't shoot, I want them to be able to check my barrel and see no new powder/fouling...and maybe a bit of dust on the end.

Maybe that is a completely wrong theory...maybe not.

I remember a high speed dude telling me one time...it's great to have a clean gun, but you know a dirty one was working the last time you pulled the trigger.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I may be OCD or it may be a “fetish”, but I clean my guns at least once every 2-3 years whether they need it or not.

Seriously, I use grease and other than a wipe down with a rag they go several range trips without much more in the way of “cleaning”.

They don’t get stripped and cleaned with any regularity, usually do several when I am bored and got nothing else to do on a rainy winter day.

Carry gun gets it’s bore snaked once in while to clear out pocket lint and such as well as somewhat regular wipe downs with a silicone cloth to ward of rust and body oils.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
But I get so much pleasure picking out the carbon and oil laden 'dust roaches' out of my EDC every couple of months or so. Eliminating such linty grossness is a precious thing not to be trifled with.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
This is me. I actually enjoy the cleaning process. I may have too much time on my hands..................

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jljones:
Agreed, Arc.

I used to be the guy that obsessed about keeping a clean, lubed gun with a minty clean bore.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nobody cleans Ruger I/II/III's. People might clean the IV's, but fuck if they have to.

I called Browning because my captive guide rod spring in my Buckmark was no longer captive and it's a pain in the ass to reassemble after cleaning with rod separated from the spring. Wanted a replacement because I didn't feel it should fail after such a low round count and amount of time.

The rep I talked to asked me why I took it apart and told me they are not intended to be field stripped and they wouldn't replace under warranty since I did the unspeakable act of cleaning it. Told me add a drop of lube or two and run bore snake through it that's all the cleaning it will ever need.

I ordered two replacement guide rod assemblies and ignored their advice.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Things I keep clean...cars, guns, dick. Not gonna change now

+1

I think it was Ayoob who said "Never carry dirty". Way to much of a habit at this point to stop cleaning.
I shoot it, I clean it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I imagine people do more damage over cleaning than not cleaning.

I know some folks who will clean after a 50-100 rounds at the range. Never understood it but not my stuff.

Usually i'll go 500+ before breaking everything down. Even then I can tell they could go longer. Corrosive stuff would be the exception.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I hate cleaning my guns. I'd rather have a trunk monkey do it for me.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny that you'd post this, as I was reading a post from Mr. Gonzales (who knows a thing or two) and he seems to agree with you:

https://www.tridentconcepts.co...21/inspection-ready/

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I'm much less obsessed with cleaning than I used to be. I have been reluctant to espouse that guns need to be able to run "dirty". If they are quality, they should be able to run "dirty".

It's interesting that, on the one hand, people subject them to all sorts of torture tests, high round counts, dragging through the mud and then castigate the gun maker if, at any point, the gun fails. Then, on the other hand, they clean the living daylights out of the gun because if they don't, they can't depend on it if it's not squeaky clean.

I'm not that fond of cleaning guns. They should be able to run dirty and I don't think it damages them to do so.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clean and lubricate each firearm, each time it's fired.

I also use grease on the rails and most contact points on the Glocks. And on most of my firearms, rather than oil.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Funny that you'd post this, as I was reading a post from Mr. Gonzales (who knows a thing or two) and he seems to agree with you:

https://www.tridentconcepts.co...21/inspection-ready/

"You have to put things in perspective, if your trips to the range are about the same as your trips to the dentist then it is unlikely you are putting enough rounds through that would significantly foul the gun and possible induce a stoppage."

Truth.

"Well, I just put 100 rounds through my handgun... Better detail strip and deep clean it, so it will be ready to go for next year's range trip!"

Big Grin

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
This was going to be all controversial, and you've ruined it. I hope you're happy.

I'm actually not very happy. My mom married this doctor recently, and we moved into his house with his son. All was going ok, until I touched the son's drum set. And he freaked out. He said he would STAB ME IN THE NECK WITH A KNIFE. We fought, and I thought he was going to rape me. And then they took the TV away during shark week. Planet Bullshit.

I'm never going to call him dad, even if there's a fire.

Try getting matching pirate hats.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post