SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Don't clean your gun.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't clean your gun. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
It won't hurt it.

Stop cleaning it, and certainly don't detail strip it.

Then shoot it.

When it fails in a manor you didn't induce, note how many rounds.

Should you keep your carry piece mint? Surely. But do your own test of what reliability is. The results will surprise you.

Having spent time running a rental range, I can tell you you can run all kinds of guns WAAAAAAY harder than you think.

Let's take a step back, and admit that cleaning guns is fetishised. Do you enjoy it? We all do. Is it really necessary? No, and that's a good thing.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Arc.

When threads pop up about gun cleaning, you always have a few dudes that when asked "how often do you clean your guns" they reply, "Only when I want them to work". Over several really high round count guns, my primary shooters in particular, they get cleaned, when they get cleaned. I am far more worried about the gun being properly lubed than I am clean. I used to be the guy that obsessed about keeping a clean, lubed gun with a minty clean bore. My carry guns these days get bore snaked every so often, and get the bore punched with a brush after I start noticing a drop in accuracy.

What you describe is spot on with what I think. The modern service type pistol just doesn't care.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You're not supposed to agree with me yet, dammit.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
This was going to be all controversial, and you've ruined it. I hope you're happy.

Arc.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Smile

I can't remember the last time I cleaned my duty gun or carry guns.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
How about, “I wash my bath towels only when I can’t bend them any more”?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Smile

I can't remember the last time I cleaned my duty gun or carry guns.

Ooohh you're in trou-BBlle.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
How about, “I wash my bath towels only when I can’t bend them any more”?

A floormate in college set the benchmark at sentience.

Arc.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This was going to be all controversial, and you've ruined it. I hope you're happy.

I'm actually not very happy. My mom married this doctor recently, and we moved into his house with his son. All was going ok, until I touched the son's drum set. And he freaked out. He said he would STAB ME IN THE NECK WITH A KNIFE. We fought, and I thought he was going to rape me. And then they took the TV away during shark week. Planet Bullshit.

I'm never going to call him dad, even if there's a fire.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Twice a year when we do quals, I’m the guy that inspects duty guns at the range. If they are dirty, they don’t get so much as a second look beyond a function check. If they are not properly lubed (as in at all) I might make a comment.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sage advice.

Then one day your gun will stop ejecting because of that gunk under extractor, making you to zero a stage and costing you a placement in a match for which you took a couple days off and traveled several hundred miles. But since nobody has died, it is all good.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty of not being a clean freak. I do make sure my guns are lubed well, but some are allowed to get a bit rough. I tend to buy quality arms that are known for running well dirty and aren't too finicky with muck or ammo, so that partially explains why I never have many problems. If I were a professional gunfighter I might change my habits. I guess the older I get the more "practical" I get, about a lot of things.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Is knowing how much gunk it takes to stop the extractor from working a useful piece of information? You'll never know, until you know.

Arc.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I haven't worn any guns out by cleaning them yet so I'll stick to my cleaning schedule.

I do usually go for a thousand rounds or so with every new gun before cleaning, just to see if they can do it. No SIG has ever failed the test.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Some guns, like Glocks, come lubed with an abrasive, and should not be cleaned NIB.

By all means, clean your guns. You're cleaning too much, and that's OK.

Arc.

Picture of gunguru123
posted Hide Post
Agreed, though I like cleaning..messing with them.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...

Posts: 1043 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one thing I can say with absolute certainty is I am not cleaning them too much.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SR22 usually does just fine without cleaning for about 4,000 rounds, then it starts having extraction problems.

G19 gets cleaned 2-3 times a year, I imagine it could go 5-7k rounds if not more without any issues.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
It won't hurt it.

Stop cleaning it, and certainly don't detail strip it.

Then shoot it.

When it fails in a manor you didn't induce, note how many rounds.

Should you keep your carry piece mint? Surely. But do your own test of what reliability is. The results will surprise you.

Having spent time running a rental range, I can tell you you can run all kinds of guns WAAAAAAY harder than you think.

Let's take a step back, and admit that cleaning guns is fetishised. Do you enjoy it? We all do. Is it really necessary? No, and that's a good thing.

I outlined this a while back when i posted photos of my DW guardian 9mm, dw pm7, and HK USP 40 all shooting lead ammo. The guardian and pm7 all had over 1k through them, and the usp 40 also. Shooting nasty alox lead bullets. I did the test 10 years or so ago. 1000 plus rounds of reliability seemed sufficient for my needs. I shot the piss out of them mag after mag after mag, I shot them till they were hot, range session after range session. When i finally gave up funding the local reloader and had a failure in the pm7, i called the test. I am sure the USP and guardian could have gone longer.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t like cleaning my guns. So I sold all my Sigs and bought Glocks Smile

Posts: 535 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True, they may not actually need it as they will function pretty dirty. And that's why we buy / count on them because they do work under harsh conditions. But as I tell my young officers....No one has ever died because their gun was too clean.

Posts: 286 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post