SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Alternative Carry Gun - Just your opinion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternative Carry Gun - Just your opinion Login/Join 
posted
Is the Beretta 92 Compact a good carry gun or is the width just too thick?

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 92/96 family of firearms in any of their configurations are fine carry guns.

Since you are specifically asking about width, can we presume this concern is over Concealed Carry?

That of course would depend on the method of carry, holster selection, style of dress and build of the user.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
How is it dimensional wise, compared to the P228? It does look kind of bulky to me, for a compact.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
How is it dimensional wise, compared to the P228? It does look kind of bulky to me, for a compact.

It's bigger than the P228, almost the size of a P226.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a Beretta 92 Compact L for a few years before Oklahoma passed open carry and I switched to the full size 92 until swapping it out for a P229. When I carried the Compact L I wore it inside the waistband under an untucked shirt at the 5 o'clock position and I never had a problem.

It can seem a bit thick but, in my humble opinion, in actual practice there is no appreciable difference between the Beretta and any other double stack firearm when carried under a relaxed/loose fitting shirt. However, you can swap out the ambi safety/decocker for a Wilson Combat single sided safety/decocker if you really want to save millimeters.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair with the blued occassionally seeing carry in a Garrett Silent Thunder. Essentially the exact same size as a CCO style 1911 with a slight weight and width penalty. Perfectly servicable if that's what you want to do and I second the wilson flush single sided safety. I'd also suggest a 92d hammer that has the single action notch to really up the friendliness.

Posts: 23 | Registered: July 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a Compact for quite a while OWB strong side. I saw no difference between it and a P229, carry wise. It is a little bulkier but a good holster negates this.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I see you are in OH and cooler weather will be here shortly. Depending on dress, many types are suitable in the rotation.

I'd say it certainly could be a choice for carry. I do like options, no need for one gun to do it all.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post