SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I wasn't really a 1911 fan... until now!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I wasn't really a 1911 fan... until now! Login/Join 
Picture of Tooky13
posted
When visiting my gun club a couple of weeks ago, and making my normal swing past the used guns to see what was new, I found they’d just loaded up the display case with a number of 1911’s. There were Springfields, Nighthawks, Wilson Combats and Dan Wessons. The guy I usually deal with told me that a member, who’s a collector, is downsizing and just traded them all in. They all looked pristine and came with original boxes, paperwork, mags, etc.

The two that interested me were the 9mm’s, a Nighthawk and a Dan Wesson Valor, both Commanders. After handling, racking the slide and dry firing them both, my preference was the Dan Wesson… which may sound strange to 1911 fans, seeing the Nighthawk price was nearly three times the Dan Wesson ($2,995 vs. $1,095). I was really impressed with the overall fit, finish and smoothness of the action. Plus, it just felt better in my hands than the Nighthawk.

I ended up buying the Valor and could not be more pleased. I’ve put about 500 rounds through it and my appreciation for it continues to grow. The only change I’ve made are the grips. It came with the slim grips (which I think the previous owner put on) and I prefer the standard sized grips. From the Dan Wesson website, I found this model, the square butt Valor Commander, was just introduced in 2016. I love the smooth clean lines and I’m digging the black duty treatment.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
An $1100 Valor will get you every time! Wink

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous gun! Great choice!

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I've yet to shoot a 9mm 1911 or a Dan Wesson of any kind, but yours looks to be a great example of both.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very Nice

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
You're hooked now! Very nice!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun at a great price...congrats!

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson 1911's are production firearms, vs. custom firearms from Wilson, etc. Some refer to DW 1911's as "semi-custom," but they're not.

They're very good 1911's for production firearms. I own several. Before they had a price hike a few years ago, they were the unsung top value in 1911's. My first was a Heritage, and I couldn't believe the fit, finish, trigger, function, and smoothness of that firearm at the time for the price.

A Valor for under 1100 is a steal, especially today. You got a great deal.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 1 Wilson, 2 Ed Brown's and 1 Dan Wesson.
I'm my opinion dollar for dollar the Dan Wessons are great firearms.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I dont know what DW was thinking when they decided to make the 1911 but, they sure left out nothing. It has to be among the best you can get dollar for dollar. What I have read here about the parts quality and materials.

I've sinse day 1 considered the Nighthawks to be the new kid on the block and way over priced for the products they make. That said, I care not what others think of their Nighthawk pistols when I see the quality of the DW.

Most excellent pistol tooky. Shoot her well.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chief1200
posted Hide Post
Tooky; nicely done! Enjoy and just know this will not be your last 1911.

Posts: 76 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 27, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Great pistol for an excellent price. I found my Dan Wesson Classic 45 bobtail under similar circumstances.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very handsome gun. One of the reasons why I like DW's is because their marketing department does not make "billboards" out of their slides.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S.G.C. ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Very nice indeed. At what weight does the trigger break?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find! Congrats! I kick myself every time I think about the DW CBOB when it retailed for around $900, and I didn't buy one.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congrats - that's a very nice way to get into 1911s!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
S.G.C. ?

Yes, Scottsdale Gun Club. They take in a lot of trades and their policy is to turn them around as quickly as possible. As a result, they price them well and they turn over quickly.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Nice snag! I'd have jumped all over the Valor as well. In fact I've been considering that very pistol for my wife.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Nice pickup! 1911s have always been a favorite of mine and constitute most of my 45 pistols.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post