SIGforum
I wasn't really a 1911 fan... until now!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/6080042034

September 12, 2017, 12:11 AM
Tooky13
I wasn't really a 1911 fan... until now!
When visiting my gun club a couple of weeks ago, and making my normal swing past the used guns to see what was new, I found they’d just loaded up the display case with a number of 1911’s. There were Springfields, Nighthawks, Wilson Combats and Dan Wessons. The guy I usually deal with told me that a member, who’s a collector, is downsizing and just traded them all in. They all looked pristine and came with original boxes, paperwork, mags, etc.

The two that interested me were the 9mm’s, a Nighthawk and a Dan Wesson Valor, both Commanders. After handling, racking the slide and dry firing them both, my preference was the Dan Wesson… which may sound strange to 1911 fans, seeing the Nighthawk price was nearly three times the Dan Wesson ($2,995 vs. $1,095). I was really impressed with the overall fit, finish and smoothness of the action. Plus, it just felt better in my hands than the Nighthawk.

I ended up buying the Valor and could not be more pleased. I’ve put about 500 rounds through it and my appreciation for it continues to grow. The only change I’ve made are the grips. It came with the slim grips (which I think the previous owner put on) and I prefer the standard sized grips. From the Dan Wesson website, I found this model, the square butt Valor Commander, was just introduced in 2016. I love the smooth clean lines and I’m digging the black duty treatment.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln
September 12, 2017, 12:45 AM
Cobra21
An $1100 Valor will get you every time! Wink

Risk the consequences of honesty...
September 12, 2017, 12:56 AM
DetonicsMk6
Gorgeous gun! Great choice!
September 12, 2017, 01:07 AM
dehughes
Very cool. I've yet to shoot a 9mm 1911 or a Dan Wesson of any kind, but yours looks to be a great example of both.

September 12, 2017, 01:14 AM
Excam_Man
Very Nice

September 12, 2017, 02:45 AM
Rick_Perry
You're hooked now! Very nice!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
September 12, 2017, 02:57 AM
92fstech
Very nice gun at a great price...congrats!
September 12, 2017, 03:45 AM
sns3guppy
Dan Wesson 1911's are production firearms, vs. custom firearms from Wilson, etc. Some refer to DW 1911's as "semi-custom," but they're not.

They're very good 1911's for production firearms. I own several. Before they had a price hike a few years ago, they were the unsung top value in 1911's. My first was a Heritage, and I couldn't believe the fit, finish, trigger, function, and smoothness of that firearm at the time for the price.

A Valor for under 1100 is a steal, especially today. You got a great deal.
September 12, 2017, 07:26 AM
TJ 4X4
I own a 1 Wilson, 2 Ed Brown's and 1 Dan Wesson.
I'm my opinion dollar for dollar the Dan Wessons are great firearms.
September 12, 2017, 09:59 AM
David Lee
I dont know what DW was thinking when they decided to make the 1911 but, they sure left out nothing. It has to be among the best you can get dollar for dollar. What I have read here about the parts quality and materials.

I've sinse day 1 considered the Nighthawks to be the new kid on the block and way over priced for the products they make. That said, I care not what others think of their Nighthawk pistols when I see the quality of the DW.

Most excellent pistol tooky. Shoot her well.
September 12, 2017, 10:53 AM
Chief1200
Tooky; nicely done! Enjoy and just know this will not be your last 1911.
September 12, 2017, 11:07 AM
az4783054
Great pistol for an excellent price. I found my Dan Wesson Classic 45 bobtail under similar circumstances.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
September 12, 2017, 11:17 AM
R K9 J
Very handsome gun. One of the reasons why I like DW's is because their marketing department does not make "billboards" out of their slides.
September 12, 2017, 11:40 AM
bendable
S.G.C. ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
September 12, 2017, 11:44 AM
Pipe Smoker
Congrats! Very nice indeed. At what weight does the trigger break?

Serious about crackers
September 12, 2017, 12:58 PM
Mr.9mm
Nice find! Congrats! I kick myself every time I think about the DW CBOB when it retailed for around $900, and I didn't buy one.
September 12, 2017, 01:14 PM
TheFrontRange
Congrats - that's a very nice way to get into 1911s!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
September 12, 2017, 03:33 PM
Tooky13
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
S.G.C. ?

Yes, Scottsdale Gun Club. They take in a lot of trades and their policy is to turn them around as quickly as possible. As a result, they price them well and they turn over quickly.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln
September 12, 2017, 06:40 PM
beltfed21
Nice snag! I'd have jumped all over the Valor as well. In fact I've been considering that very pistol for my wife.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"
September 12, 2017, 06:50 PM
Strider41
Congrats. Nice pickup! 1911s have always been a favorite of mine and constitute most of my 45 pistols.

Dum Spiro Pugno