SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Handguns you've wanted for absolutely no practical reason
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handguns you've wanted for absolutely no practical reason Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A Webley-Fosbury (spelling?) automatic revolver. Way back when I was young I had a chance to but a nice one for $45. I passed it up and bought a nice P38 for $25. Frown

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 117 | Registered: August 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Ruger having offered the SP101 in 9mm for a brief time in the 90s, I was always intrigued by the concept and application of a 9mm revolver. I know Smith has their 9mm revolver models out for some time now and almost bought one, but I refuse to buy one with a lock after a negative experience with an R8 that actually had issues with the lock randomly binding up the action. Yes, they can be disabled / removed but I prefer Ruger revolvers to Smiths anyway for a variety of other reasons too (finish,cylinder release,etc). I'm a revolver fan in general and love my stainless GP100 4" .357 Magnum among others and the 2.25" SP101 feels great in the hand, not to mention is also built like a tank like the GP100. I've never bought or even shot an SP101 though. So when I saw that Ruger had started offering these again and happened across some in stock at a great price this week, well, I'll be picking one up from my FFL this afternoon. Cool

https://www.ruger.com/products...specSheets/5783.html

I'm a little burned out by the plethora of plastic fantastic pistols in the wild (many of which are great guns in their own right), and having had a .38 LCRx 1.875" I did not like, this seemed like a great alternative and departure to break up the monotony. The commonality and affordability of 9mm with my pistols is a definite plus as well. Do I need it? No. Will it be fun and useful? I'm optimistic!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Sig P220 Legion.
I have no practical use for that gun. I can't shoot it in any USPSA division, I have plenty of other pistols for self defense or target shooting, and I have no other pistols in .45acp.

I bought it simply because I sold a high end guitar amp and had $1200 burning a hole in my pants and wanted to buy the coolest gun in the store that day.

No regrats. Cool

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did they make Pythons in 3"?

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I know Smith has their 9mm revolver models out for some time now and almost bought one

Which reminds me of another handgun I've wanted for absolutely no practical reason... A 3" round butt S&W 547 9mm.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Desert Eagle .357
GSG-5K (SP-89 clone)
Radom PPS-43C

Ask me again in a year, and I will have different answers.

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
Even though I've had a few of these in the past, I still have an on going love affair with the First Generation S&W 4566 with the Square Trigger Guard and Novak Rear sights......I'm always looking for another one.....Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Sig P220 Legion.
I have no practical use for that gun. I can't shoot it in any USPSA division, I have plenty of other pistols for self defense or target shooting, and I have no other pistols in .45acp.

I bought it simply because I sold a high end guitar amp and had $1200 burning a hole in my pants and wanted to buy the coolest gun in the store that day.

No regrats. Cool

Ha. Too funny. I'm selling a nice Gretsch and was strongly considering using the funds for a P210 Target.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
I’d love to have a Steyr GB because... reasons.

Posts: 609 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
For me it's always been a pimped out Mexican 1911 in 38 Super. Don't know why but I've aways wanted one. It totally goes agents my philosophy of form following function but maybe that's why I want an absolutely tacky bright shiny pimped out 1911, snakes and eagles on grips make it even more appealing.

Good choice.

I want a broomhandle Mauser.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any pistol I have bought after my P226 RX SAO would qualify, with the notable exception of the one that I bought that at the time seemed to be the most frivolous!

Most of what I own could be considered full-size pistols, chambered in 9mm. P226s, Beretta 92s (even the Cen Tac), P320RX, X-5, V-TAC and X-Carry, and the newest, my first H&K, a VP9. I bought a P220 Elite SAO in 10mm simply because I missed my long gone P220 ST and thought it would be cool to have a 10mm. Ended up that I actually had a practical purpose for it as I bought a chest holster and took it deer hunting! Only sub/compact I currently own is a P365 although I like the VP9 so much I an seriously considering buying a VP9 SK.

Every other practical 'need' I have could have easily been covered by my RX P226, an exceptional pistol in every way, especially since I don't carry. The above-mentioned VP9 SK and maybe an X-Compact are on the list of what I would like to acquire some time in the future that I don't really need.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Depami:
Chiappa Rhino 60DS

Now, I'll have to add this one to my list.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull Toklat. I rarely fish in Griz country, but I still want one.

Also a Ruger New Model convertible in 45 Colt/45 ACP.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
FN 5.7

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
quote:
Originally posted by Depami:
Chiappa Rhino 60DS

Now, I'll have to add this one to my list.

I'm struggling on which one. The 40 is too short. The 50 is just right but lacks top rail. The 60 is a bit long but has top rail in case I want to mount a red dot.

Here's the 50DS .

Posts: 117 | Registered: August 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Late to this party, but I guess my occasional desire for an antique set of dueling pistols would qualify.

Of course if they had historical significance that would be a plus, but I'm not made of money.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Han shot first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Smile

Please add me to this list Wink

Me too. SigForum Group Buy ? Big Grin

YEAH, BABY ! ! ! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Malamutes
posted Hide Post
Capping the last of impractical handguns I want just to have is the .600 Nitro Express Zeliska Revolver. I disagree with the whole buying guns and keeping them unfired, but I might be persuaded to make an exception in this case.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Lower Michigan | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post