SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Handguns you've wanted for absolutely no practical reason
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handguns you've wanted for absolutely no practical reason Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

That being said: I keep no safe queens. If I don't shoot it, or plan to, it's gone.

I have 2 queens. Colt Python and Cobra, both unfired. Aside from those 2, I agree, I'll shoot them and if I don't, I sell them.
Probably why I sold most.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd probably go with a Colt SAA, or, more specifically, a clone SAA that I can shoot and not worry about the effect on value.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Walther P5 Compact. I’m a SAO guy and have no practical use for it, but it just looks so good. Intensely Germanic!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I can honestly say "none," because I regard the sheer joy of possession of something that pleases me a perfectly practical reason Smile

E.g.: The P210 Target I just bought. Already had a 9mm range/race gun in my G34. I shoot it well, too. And, with my eyes, I'll never be an accomplished target-shooter ever again. But the instant I laid eyes on a P210A I was in lust. Once I fondled one I was lost. It is surely a terrific piece of workmanship, and simply holding it is a joy.

That being said: I keep no safe queens. If I don't shoot it, or plan to, it's gone.

I like the P210A too, I handled one a couple of weeks ago. I have no practical reason for it, I just like it.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Sig P210. I have competition guns, carry guns, plinkers, even BBQ guns. It would literally be a range toy.

But I want one.

This. Exactly. But mostly just to appreciate the mechanism.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P210 and P7.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh, here's one I just remembered: A TDA Sig P229 in 357 Sig.

I have absolutely no need whatsoever for it. Nontheless: I've told one of my LGS' that if a really nice used one or a CPO shows up there: Give me a call.

If I acquire one: I will buy a holster (OWB) and mag carrier for it. I will carry it. I definitely will shoot it.

I need it like I need another hole in the head, but I want one Big Grin

I actually already have spare magazines for it

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:
P210 and P7.

^^^maybe we could share them ^^^

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
A great many of the handguns that I already own would qualify as "a gun that's of no practical reason to have". Yet there they are...

Of the handguns that I don't already have, I'd say a Walther P1 tops the list. Further down, a Swiss P210 to go with my German and 'Merican, Sphinx A2000, unfired DW 5" Valor in Duty Black and Korth PRS would be also be somewhere near the top of that wantlist. Maybe even a Wilson EDC X9, just for the finery of WC's machining and fitting, though a Glock worked over by them would be a more natural.

Honorable mention, if only for its sheer lunacy: Kriss Vector SDP 9mm just 'cuz in pistol form it looks even crazier and more weird than the carbine or braced versions, and this despite my dislike of the company itself. Weird is good. Sometimes. But with that kind of bizzaro in mind, maybe a Maxim 9 as well if it didn't have the associated mandatory wait period. Or a Hudson.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAC's Chief Mechanical Designer
posted Hide Post
Kinda always wanted a Detonics Combat Master. Just picked up a 210 Target, so the Combat Master is going to have to wait a while.

Mike Smith
404-213-7753

Posts: 565 | Location: Alpharetta, GA USA | Registered: January 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Han shot first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Smile

Please add me to this list Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
Han shot first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Smile

Han shot.

Period. Wink

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Most of the guns I own have almost no practical reason for owning them.
I worked in a gun shop for a few years.
When ever a used gun came into the store I liked I asked the owner how much he wanted for it.
There were a lot of weeks I owed him more money then he owed me for pay.
Once my wife called me and informed me we needed a AK47 because we did not have one. Who am I to argue.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

"Let me tell you about my mother."

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
No question about it. A Webley-Fosbery! Semi-automatic revolver.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
A 3 1/2" SAA in nickle, with birdshead grips in real ivory. doc Holiday sort of affair.

I'd probably want an El Paso Saddlery shoulder rig too.

Years back ,one of my first "Wanted, for no practical reason" pistols ,was an HK Tactical with a can. I fell into a Tactical for a great price with extra mags, two of the HK pistol cases and bought it. Same with an AAC can. It may be somewhat useless, it's HUGE, but it IS accurate, reliable and fun to shoot.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

has anyone ever modified one of these so that it fires all four at once? seems like that would be a lot of stupid fun at the range every once in a while Big Grin

Posts: 300 | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a Smith 629 snub. I've liked its look since I saw evil Steven Berkhoff use it against Eddie Murphy at the end of Beverly Hills Cop. Then it popped up as Jeffrey DeMunn's sidearm that C. Thomas Howell steals to use against Rutger Hauer in The Hitcher. Powers Boothe uses one against Nick Nolte in Extreme Prejudice. I have no need for one, but that was a badass looking revolver.

quote:
COP .357 Derringer.

That was the worst pistol I've ever had the displeasure to shoot.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Colt 1903 in either 32 or 380. Not safe to carry as if dropped may go boom. Still something tells me I should own one.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post