SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229R Dark Elite ("Enhanced") came home tonight. Qs about SD/training ammo.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229R Dark Elite ("Enhanced") came home tonight. Qs about SD/training ammo. Login/Join 
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted
My first foray into the world of both the 229, and .40. Display model, which is funny because I don't think Sig offers it anymore. Just sitting there looking like the dog at the pound no one adopts. Out the door for $855. Couple of very minor scuffs in the nitron. Finish slightly worn on the slide catch and decocker (expected). Zero wear on takedown lever or frame underneath. Fits like a glove, so much differently than my 220.

Box stickers say E29R-40-DSE. 11-May-2012. SN AJU113XX. Round pink sticker with printed #201210, handwritten underneath is the date 12-8-16. Perhaps not necessary, but I know y'all like details Smile

For those of you who own one, and/or shoot .40, what brands/grain weight do you prefer, and what should I avoid? In particular any brand/weight that just does not feed whether it be ball or hollow point. I'm well aware White Box isn't in the same league as Gold Dots.

I'm going to get her to the range in the next couple of days, and plan to take several different brands/weights/types to see if there are any that this particular gun doesn't like.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Edited to add: short extractor, if that makes any difference.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The 180 grain Gold Dot is pretty much the gold standard. It has a great track record on the street.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
Mine fed anything and everything, even White Box. It really liked the Browning 180grn. practice ammo. Carried the 165grn. HST's for SD ammo.

You're going to love it.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The 180 grain Gold Dot is pretty much the gold standard. It has a great track record on the street.

I figured Speer would be on the list. Thank you, jones!

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by giz55792:
Mine fed anything and everything, even White Box. It really liked the Browning 180grn. practice ammo. Carried the 165grn. HST's for SD ammo.

You're going to love it.

Good to hear this. I haven't fired her yet. Too busy hugging her Big Grin

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, you've been on here long enough and still don't know the rule?

quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
My first foray into the world of both the 229, and .40.

Btw, the .40 will snap your wrist off. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26377 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
unlike some other calibers I have never met a round that my 229 (or for that matter 226 .40) didn't like. I've had Aquila have hard primers but it does in everything but any quality defense ammo never an issue. I personally like and use bonded stuff, either the Federal (165) or the Win Ranger (180), neither have had any issues and both are proven.
For training ammo it simply doesn't matter. I normally run Winclean or Lawman as my lead levels are always a challenge. but it won't matter.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Man, you've been on here long enough and still don't know the rule?

quote:
My first foray into the world of both the 229, and .40.

Btw, the .40 will snap your wrist off. Big Grin

Easy now Big Grin Gotta get some pics of acceptable quality with a cell phone, then re-learn posting from a new host.

My wrist is strong. One of my brothers, who is a member here, asked why I chose .40. My response was because I wanted to see what the hubbub was about regarding .40/.357 Sig.

I'm a bit of a .45ACP curmudgeon Big Grin

Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
unlike some other calibers I have never met a round that my 229 (or for that matter 226 .40) didn't like. I've had Aquila have hard primers but it does in everything but any quality defense ammo never an issue. I personally like and use bonded stuff, either the Federal (165) or the Win Ranger (180), neither have had any issues and both are proven.
For training ammo it simply doesn't matter. I normally run Winclean or Lawman as my lead levels are always a challenge. but it won't matter.

Thank you! So far, the consensus seems she will eat anything.

Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
One additional question. I want to stock up on additional mags. Any particular flavor you prefer or avoid? The ones included are marked "made in Italy" with 5/10/12 round witness holes.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
One additional question. I want to stock up on additional mags. Any particular flavor you prefer or avoid? The ones included are marked "made in Italy" with 5/10/12 round witness holes.

Stock up on those "Made In Italy" mags. They are Mec-Gar and worry-free.

Q

Posts: 26377 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Q! Off I go to get some!

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Elite Dark...beware the rear sight. It's no 700hp over-toed RWD Nissan, but it loves to drift anyways. I think SIG ceased Elite Dark production across all models when they finally ran out of those cursed rears.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
The only problem ammo I had with my .40 229 DAK was Fiocchi remanufactured ammo. I bought a case to use in a class and had several light strikes in every box. They would always go off on the second strike later on. That was the only ammo I ever had that problem with.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and keep an eye on a 357 Sig barrel. Fun caliber in that frame. 165’s & 180’s progress well in that gun, enjoy!

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knock on wood, but I have never had a malfunction in my 229 .40 and I have put about 3000 rounds through her. Winchester white box, UMC, remington, PMC, reloads, anything and everything that I could get for relatively cheap. Not one malfunction that wasn't user generated. One time I pulled the trigger and she didnt go bang. Went to rack the slide and the magazine fell out. Mag wasnt fully seated.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P229 and .40 is a match made in Heaven!

Mine have eaten any brand and weight without a hiccup. My preferred SD ammo is 165gr Gold Dots, but I'd be happy with 180gr too. I recommend against the 155gr HST and 165gr Critical Defense, as my backyard ballistics showed them fail to expand.

Crappy video here:
https://youtu.be/3UnOSut1B6I

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Elite Dark...beware the rear sight. It's no 700hp over-toed RWD Nissan, but it loves to drift anyways. I think SIG ceased Elite Dark production across all models when they finally ran out of those cursed rears.

Yeeeah. After reading this then doing a search, I see the rear sight, of all things, is the weak link. You have first hand experience with them. Fortunately, the windage lock screws are tight, though it's hard to tell if adequately enough using the worlds tiniest allen wrenches.

Like the drift analogy! Fitting, considering your CUT.

Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Do yourself a favor and keep an eye on a 357 Sig barrel. Fun caliber in that frame.

That was the plan, and I had a sinking feeling when I read "keep an eye on a .357 Sig barrel".

No one has them. Is this going to be like unicorn hunting?

Fonky Honky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
I recommend against the 165gr Critical Defense, as my backyard ballistics showed them fail to expand.

After watching you video, this is not comforting to read. I use Critical Defense .45ACP/185gr. Feeds fine, but the ultimate test is on the receiving end.