SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Please recommend a slide mounted dot sight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please recommend a slide mounted dot sight Login/Join 
posted
I keep hearing that there are only two good candidates for a red dot sight bolted to a 9mm pistol slide - the Leupold Delta point and the Trijicon RMR. Can the less expensive brands hold up to the battering ?

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Check out some of the videos from Sage Dynamics. Aaron has been testing alot of the red dot sights. He recently reviewed one of the Vortex sights, and gave it ok marks, which is better than alot of other sights have fared in his reviews. It did finally shatter the lens the third time he dropped it on concrete from shoulder height.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sage Dynamics did a 4 year study on mini red dots. Here it is.

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/...903192fa603fce6f.pdf

Remember...buy once, cry once.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
All of them will fail eventually. Pick one with a good warranty.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
All of them will fail eventually. Pick one with a good warranty.

I have to agree with this.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run an RMR currently and it is an excellent sight. I've heard the DPP is good but very big for carry. My understanding purely from reading is the Sig is likely to get the buttons bumped in a holster or during carry due to where the buttons sit. Look into Shield Sights as well as I've heard good things if you are looking to mount it on a slide thats too slim for an RMR or DPP.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
First, second, and third choices - RMR, RMR, and RMR.

I have a Vortex Venom, it’s basically a Burris Fastfire 3 or SIG Romeo 1 - they all have the same DNA from the same factory with button location, battery location, and general construction being identical.

I haven’t used it on a centerfire pistol, just a 22LR pistol and as an offset centerfire rifle optic. While it’s been fine for those, the button locations would worry me on a CCW pistol and honestly, it doens’t seem like it has the durability of a RMR. And it certainly doens’t have the battery life of an RMR either, which I see as a show stopper for serious CCW use.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know its not statistically meaningful. But I've now been running a very large group of RMR's across thousands of rounds and lots of platforms. I've had one Type 1 go intermittent and it went back and has run fine since. In thousands of rounds on Type 2's I've not had any issues. I've seen 4 romeo1's go down in our local pistol match. Almost everyone I know that started with a DPP has since switched to an RMR (sample size of 5). Slide mounted is a very tough environment and based on everything I know the RMR is what you want in a serious gun. For fun anything is fine, and in that case the Vortex seems pretty well recommended.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the information. It looks like a RMR is the way to go.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have 3 RMR’s, 2 Burris FF’s, 1 vortex. I haven’t had an issue with any of them. I also have a Sig Romeo that came in my 226RX but I haven’t shot it much.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
RMR type 2.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3207 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post