SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 pistol and Magna Port
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 pistol and Magna Port Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone here
A. owned one ?
B. Shot one ?
C. seen one, in person ?
D. seen one on the inner net ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well.... Kinda. Ported BHP. I bought it used some years ago and the previous owner claimed it was done by Mag-Na-Port.
It worked fine but the V shaped muzzle flash was not a bonus. I sold it, like a moron.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I had a Colt CCO that I had Magna Ported. It helped with recoil somewhat. They did nice work.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have an alloy officer's 1911 in 45 ACP. I think it's magna ported because of the shape of the ports. Unless I use full power loads the porting does nothing. I get more muzzle flip with 185 and 200 grain target loads than I get with 230 ball. With full power 230 or any self defense load I get almost no muzzle flip and a sharp but very manageable straight back push.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I have a 1994 Magna-ported P220 in my safe currently. I wasn't crazy about the gun, but the price was right at the time. Not sure when the Magna-porting was done, but I don't notice enough of a difference between this guy and another P220 I own to care. I haven't shot it in a while, but I don't remember much if any muzzle flash.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
I haven't shot it in a while, but I don't remember much if any muzzle flash.

It may not be as noticeable in daylight, but try shooting it at night, or in low-light conditions. Or even just indoors.

The ported handguns I've shot in lower light conditions have had noticeably brighter muzzle flash, especially since a significant portion is being directed upwards and directly into the shooter's line of sight.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very nice , thanks

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muzzle flash is more dependent on the ammo than any porting. I don't have any semi's that are ported, nor would I want one. All of my SD revolvers have Magna-Porting done back in the early 1990's.

Some comments:

1) I've tested my Ruger SP101 3" .357 Mag in pitch darkness with full power loads. You'd expect a ball of fire, right? Using a premium SD load with flame retardant powder, like Federal 125 gr JHP's, the flame signature is poop. No significant flash, no blinding...nada.

2) On the other hand, I saw one guy shoot a .357 Mag with a stock 6" barrel in low light (ambient) conditions on the indoor range. Jeez, a humongous fireball. Here's the difference. He was using factory el-cheapo 158 gr .357 Mags. Yeah, the powder makes a difference.

Finally, my experience with revolvers has been the following. Magna-Porting (at least in revolvers) doesn't reduce recoil, it simply redirects it giving you better control and less muzzle rise. In my testing, the muzzle rise on all of my revolvers was reduced by half. It allowed quicker follow up shots with smaller groups when using double taps. In addition, due to the lessened muzzle rise, it directed the recoil through the grips to the meaty palm of the hand rather than to the sensitive web between the thumb and next finger.

All of the above was true with guns from L frames to J-frames. While the effect is more pronounced with full power loads, it was also noticeable with practice loads. Even my S&W M60 2" in .38 Spl benefited. The myth that it only works well for large caliber magnums was not accurate. I make no claims that the above is valid for semi's as well, have no idea. Never had a semi with Magna-Porting. However, I did extensive testing with a large variety of revolvers and found the above to be true.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nipper, great write up.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I got a few rounds through one of the Michigan Armament guns with factory Magnaport Auto Port cut through slide and barrel. I could not tell much difference with the ammo on hand.

A guy here had a Magnaport custom .44 Ruger. I didn't get to shoot that one, but he said it reduced muzzle rise. It also smoked his red insert front sight pretty quickly, too.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I had several guns Magnaported.
One was a 7mm Remington Magnum rifle. It helped with muzzle rise, but, put more recoil in to my shoulder. Same with .44 magnum pistol. Smaller calibers had little noticeable difference because they don't have as much gas to work the ports.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had MagnaPort do their "thing" to a few of my handguns, but none of them were 1911s. I like the end result, and own quite a few Factory ported handguns, including a SA V-10 1911.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I can only speak to the M29 that I have, when I sent it in I requested the porting. It still stings with the Hornady 300gr'ers I normally carry in it but the muzzle flip is much less pronounced.

I can burn through a cylinder pretty fast, especially if I swap the wood grips out with the compact Pachmayrs.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I agree with Nipper, too. My 4" 29-2 was magnaported straight from Massachusetts to Michigan. It makes it easily manageable, but still not comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post