SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gov't Surplus 1911s
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gov't Surplus 1911s Login/Join 
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
The ones that we used from 1966-70 in the Marines were undoubtedly the same ones that my Dad used from 1941-45. They were worn out then, but thanks to our Marine armors, the things always seemed to work.....or.....maybe my memory is failing me faster than I thought.

Unless the pistol spent it's entire service life in a closed duty station, like an embassy or something, then none of the parts are going to be "correct." We used to all gather around a bucket of cleaning solution, detail strip our 45s & throw all our parts in the bucket to soak. Whatever sear, extractor, etc, you pulled out of the bucket was the part that went in your gun. The tolerances on them were so loose that they all worked.

It'd be nice to have one for old times sake, but I don't want one bad enough to pay anywhere near the price of a new Colt or Springfield Armory 1911, so I guess I'll do without.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For the $1K they are talking about. Hard pass.

Unless you want it purely for nostalgia there are a ton of guns out there for $1K I'd rather have.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
The first release of 1911's from the Army to the CMP will be all condition code "A" and "B". so these first ones will be the best condition 1911's that the Army has to offer. A lot of which should be some NIB offerings that will most likely end up at auction to bring highest dollar for the CMP.

NIB?, according to:

https://www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm

the best I can see is the last military versions were made in 1945. Exception was match pistols.

Just because a pistol was made doesn't mean it was issued and abused. The condition code does not specify if it is NIB or fresh from rearsenal, but the very best condition 1911's that the Army has left in inventory will be "A" code, and those are being released in the first batch I can guarantee you. I am still trying to see if I can get info regarding the possibility of any true NIB pistols in inventory, though very likely those exist.

Approximately 2424 "A" code pistols exist, minus any rarities that are being held back for museum pieces, like Singer's and US&S'.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post