SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gov't Surplus 1911s
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gov't Surplus 1911s Login/Join 
Picture of Oldrider
posted
If this has been already covered, my apologies and moderators can remove it.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/20...-army-stockpile.html

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I want to say this has been posted. I want to say there were mixed emotions about the potential quality of these pistols compared to modern product.

And it might not have even been posted in the pistol section.

Big help aren't I? Big Grin

ETA: But I see as the most important part:
quote:
President Trump is expected to soon sign off on a bill greenlighting the Army to make available

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I wanna bran new Union Switch thats nebber been issued...bran new. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will cede you the US&S, if I can have a brand new in the box Singer... Big Grin

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I don't think the hoops to get one is worth it to me. Would be cool to have one though.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Once they publish prices, I'll decide if the hoops are worth it.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
Once they publish prices, I'll decide if the hoops are worth it.

Looks like its an "inverse-Panera" business plan Roll Eyes

http://www.businessinsider.com...1911-pistols-2017-12

Those pricing and grade decisions “will not be made until [an] inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity” of M1911 pistols — a necessity given that most of the Army’s stockpile of M1911 pistols were manufactured before 1945.

It’s likely that a vintage CMP will end up running customers “between $800 and $1,000,” CMP North marketing manager Steve Cooper told The Gun Writer on Nov. 30. Why that range? Simple, Cooper said: “the 1911 is a very valuable pistol.”

“Even though they may be shot out or busted up, we don’t want them falling into the hands of people who will just leave them in a glove box,” Cooper toldThe Gun Writer. “We want a perceived value — more of an heirloom. We don’t want them considered a standard sidearm. All we need is to have someone commit a liquor store robbery with one and then we’ll be held accountable.” (Not wrong: in 2015, the Department of Justice questioned whether past M1911 transfer plans would turn the tried-and-true Army sidearm into a “popular crime gun.”)

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 45's (now known as 1911's) I was trained on in AIT during 1967, were so worn the barrels were almost a smoothbore. So loose they could be field stripped & reassembled in 15 seconds. The 45's my unit had at Ft. Bragg had were not much better.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
The 45's (now known as 1911's) I was trained on in AIT during 1967, were so worn the barrels were almost a smoothbore. So loose they could be field stripped & reassembled in 15 seconds. The 45's my unit had at Ft. Bragg had were not much better.

Seems like that's the case according to that article above. If I'm dropping $1000 for a 1911, might as well get one that's not shot-out, regardless of its provenance.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
For what we all pay in taxes, they should give us one for free!

With the money they will likely be asking, and the long list of hoops to jump through to obtain one, they can keep ‘em.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They are going to cobble together a bunch of matching guns and charge an arm & leg.

For those prices, I'll just buy something I really want.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I got that notice from c m p,They have the idea we are stupid,then there is the extra hoops to jump thru for old service klunkers.
No thanks

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
As a 1911 fan, I'd potentially like to have one of these - not at the quoted price range, however.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though they are overpriced (IMO), they will still sell every single one of them.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind getting the exact one Tom Hanks blasted that German tank with in Saving Private Ryan.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
Even though they are overpriced (IMO), they will still sell every single one of them.

UMMM, if they sell every one of them at that price, then they are not overpriced. They would be priced at market price. Simple supply and demand.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I wanna bran new Union Switch thats nebber been issued...bran new. Big Grin

All of the US&S top condition pistols are being kept by the Army, as well as any of the Singer's, and they will be put into one of the various Army museums. I think there might actually be some that are still NIB based upon condition codes, but not for sure.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I got that notice from c m p,They have the idea we are stupid,then there is the extra hoops to jump thru for old service klunkers.
No thanks

The first release of 1911's from the Army to the CMP will be all condition code "A" and "B". so these first ones will be the best condition 1911's that the Army has to offer. A lot of which should be some NIB offerings that will most likely end up at auction to bring highest dollar for the CMP.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first release of 1911's from the Army to the CMP will be all condition code "A" and "B". so these first ones will be the best condition 1911's that the Army has to offer. A lot of which should be some NIB offerings that will most likely end up at auction to bring highest dollar for the CMP.

NIB?, according to:

https://www.sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm

the best I can see is the last military versions were made in 1945. Exception was match pistols.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post