SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Vickers vs. Defoor sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vickers vs. Defoor sights Login/Join 
posted
Have a set of the Defoor sights (w/tritium front), curious about the Vickers Elite Battlesights as well though.

Both these guys know what they're doing...has anyone here tried these two different options? If so, whaddya think of them?

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I assume that you're referring to the Ameriglo Defoor sights. A year or so ago I came across these by accident. An article I googled about the same time cited the reason why the front tritium was mounted low: Kyle Defoor hates dots, period. It's placed low so that it's normally out of the way with standard sighting. He regards the front dot as a distraction that hinders obtaining an accurate sight picture quickly. But to satisfy agencies and their procurement requirements that often require tritium, it was included out of necessity. Just put down low, and nicely out of the way in the mind and shooting technique of Defoor. So the dot is there if needed, and the low position doesn't adversely affect accuracy in typical adversarial engagement distances (or so thinks and advocates Defoor). YMMV.

EDIT: I should add that I have no live fire experience with either sight system. Just blathering out what I read.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I only have the Vickers and love the gold dot, it draws my eye right to it. I have 4 sets of them.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sorry, Ameriglo Defoor sights and the Wilson Combat Vickers Elite Battlesights.

I have the tritium Ameriglo Defoors, and at times shoot them incredibly well, but I'm curious about the Vickers Elite sights as they seem like a similar deal, just a bit taller and with a rear u-notch.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
I have the Vickers on a 17 and 19 and really, really like them.

However, that being said I am keenly interested in either the Defoor or Hackathon Ameriglos for my 229s. I am currently running a rear contrast sight with a front Siglite night sight. That setup is nice and works well for me, but I want to try something different.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, WJR. Which variation of the Vickers sights to you have on your guns? And what is it exactly that you like about them?

Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
I have both the front tritium and front gold bead sight, with the rear black serrated.

My eyes are not the greatest and maybe because I have astigmatism in both eyes I prefer a simpler sight picture. I never have liked or done well with three dot sights. A lot of times I have gone with a front night sight and rear black or contrast sight.

I have used a standard steel rear Glock sight and front night sight set up and that works for me just fine. However, I like the Vickers better. Faster for me to line up and accurate enough for me as well at short ranges. I am never trying to hit 50 yard targets with my pistol, more like 7 yards and closer.

Hope that helps.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Do you prefer the tritium or the gold bead?

Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Thanks. Do you prefer the tritium or the gold bead?

Well, for outdoors range shooting, I really like the gold bead. However, for self defense/home defense, I would go with the tritium.

WJR

posted Hide Post
Makes sense. Sure. I'm curious what a gold bead does in low light.