SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For the Python Fans
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the Python Fans Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty!

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm considering one of the new Pythons, but want to wait a bit to see how they do and (hopefully) the price comes down.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Any guesses as to an introductory price? I'd take a wild guess at $1500-$2000.

Your 'wild guess' looks to be accurate! Cool

Well . . . from the Colt website and Python specification sheet, it appears that for either the 4.25" or 6" barreled Python (semi-bright stainless steel model), the initial MSRP is going to be $1499.00.

I suspect that some gun shops/distributors will attempt to sell Pythons for higher than this MSRP though, at least initially.

I see nothing yet concerning a Blue or polished Royal Blue model, which would 'pique' my interest.

Link->> Colt 2020 Python

Posts: 206 | Registered: July 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 654Boomer:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Any guesses as to an introductory price? I'd take a wild guess at $1500-$2000.

Your 'wild guess' looks to be accurate! Cool

Well . . . from the Colt website and Python specification sheet, it appears that for either the 4.25" or 6" barreled Python (semi-bright stainless steel model), the initial MSRP is going to be $1499.00.

I suspect that some gun shops/distributors will attempt to sell Pythons for higher than this MSRP though, at least initially.

I see nothing yet concerning a Blue or polished Royal Blue model, which would 'pique' my interest.

Link->> Colt 2020 Python

Shouldn't I win something? Like a paid trip to Hawaii, or a new Ferrari?? Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
I’m biased. But the new one just does not that that finish. I believe it was outlawed because of an EPA issue? That could be internet law but makes for a good story.

You're thinking of the Glock Tennifer process, which they had to stop using because of EPA regulations.

The polishing process that Colt Pythons got back in the heyday was nothing short of absolute master work. Sometime in the last year or so, I saw some scans of a magazine article about the process, showing the barn-sized wall covered with dozens of different grade buffing wheels that they worked through to get to an absolute mirror-smooth polish before they gave them their final finish. I forget the number of years the "apprentice" had under his belt, but it was many, and he wasn't considered a "master polisher" yet. I wanna say the article was from the very early 60's.

That's what makes the Python finishes so wonderful, especially the deep blue: the polishing. And it's extremely labor intensive and dependent on a handful of master craftsmen, as with all other steps of their manufacturing. That's one of the things that made them less profitable to produce, and led to their lessening "quality" in later years and eventual discontinuation.

You do realize of course, these Master Craftsmen of whom you speak were all and continue to be, UAW employees don't ya? Wink

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue
You do realize of course, these Master Craftsmen of whom you speak were all and continue to be, UAW employees don't ya? Wink

Colt employees, UAW members. And that fact has what to do with the Python because?

The new Colt wheelie is a Python in name only. It doesn't have the historic lockwork with the fameous bank vault lockup. There has been no menton of the tapered barrel that spawned both the Smython/ Smolt and the Cougar. And I seriousy doubt they are performing the burnishing of the barrel with the mystery tool they used to use. A good shooter? Certanly. They gave it an historic name but it's not the old gun, and I doubt it will have any real effect on the old snake values.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

Colt employees, UAW members. And that fact has what to do with the Python because?

The new Colt wheelie is a Python in name only. It doesn't have the historic lockwork with the fameous bank vault lockup. There has been no menton of the tapered barrel that spawned both the Smython/ Smolt and the Cougar. And I seriousy doubt they are performing the burnishing of the barrel with the mystery tool they used to use. A good shooter? Certanly. They gave it an historic name but it's not the old gun, and I doubt it will have any real effect on the old snake values.

So, you've seen one of the new ones personally? OR are you just spitballing?

Fact is, as an original Python owner, I can say Colt's claim to "Quality" is actually quite laughable.

I hear "Colt Quality" and I think of the Reliant K car.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

So, you've seen one of the new ones personally? OR are you just spitballing?

Fact is, as an original Python owner, I can say Colt's claim to "Quality" is actually quite laughable.

I hear "Colt Quality" and I think of the Reliant K car.

I don't remember where I saw it, but there is a video out there of a Colt marketing director running the viewer through the new Python features. In it he states that the lockwork has fewer parts than the original gun. It's probably a Trooper action, but I'm not sure. He made sure to mention multiple times that the barrel is a one piece part and not a two piece part like some 'other' manufacturer. I think he stated that the internals are not MIM, which means you can tune it just like the older guns. But there was no mention of the unique features that made the Python a Python. There was a reason that the Python barrel was mated to the S&W frame, and it wasn't because people were bored. I don't think the new snake is a bad gun. In fact from everything I read it a better factory gun than the original in terms of QA/QC, and in trigger pull. The fact that they left the grip the same size is nice because no one has to reinvent the wheel in oreder to change shoes.

Or, to put it another way, look at current Colt production. They have reproduced historic 1911's such as the black Army and have put out WWI and WWII collectables. Colt also still makes SAA's. Have any of these guns hurt the collectors value or the actual original period pieces?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post