SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    For the Python Fans
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the Python Fans Login/Join 
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post
Here is a better pic of the new Python.

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I gotta be honest, that still looks pretty rough compared to my 45 year old example that my mother carried in a leather holster on duty for many years. In fact, the more I look at it, the more I think it looks like monkey-hammered shit and it’s little wonder such low res pics of this thing are coming out. Literally every other picture of a vintage Colt Python in this thread is higher resolution, and I’m betting most of them were taken with cell phones. Colt debuts the “new” Python and it looks like nine miles of nasty ass that they’re trying to hide with low-res pics. If THAT’S a fine, picture-worthy example of what they’re producing, then I’m at a loss for words.

It’s a Python MKII. That’s not a Colt Python. And yes, I’m being snobby when I say that, and no, I don’t care. OP scored a real one. What’s in that picture looks like a used movie prop in comparison.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
lbaker45, I've seen photos of your impressive extensive collection of handguns, are you going to come clean and admit that you've acquired one and just keeping from disclosing it because it was acquired thru back channels and hasn't officially been released?? Wink Cmon now...

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
If the 2020 Python is offered in .22lr, I'm jumping on it.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Did someone yell snake? My one and only. It was a must have after I sold the one I bought in 1983 but had to sell when bills required it. This one isn't going anywhere.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m biased. But the new one just does not that that finish. I believe it was outlawed because of an EPA issue? That could be internet law but makes for a good story.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbaker45:
Here is a better pic of the new Python.

Much better, thanks.

I'm not sure how that new grip is going to work out under recoil. I'm just guessing, of course, but somehow it seems like a little less bulk from side to side and a smooth rather than stepped surface where the top of the grip plate meets the side of the frame would be a bit more comfortable to hang on to.

Oh, and, may I be the first on this forum to say...".41 Special"? Since it's not exactly a classic Python anyway.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe it was outlawed because of an EPA issue?

Not really. You can still get a good reproduction of the Royal Clot Blue but the processes needed and manhours required is so extensive the costs are prohibitive.

A friend worked for Colt back in the days of production of their revolver line. Those people who had the skills to tune and produce the quality expected in the Python were far and few between even back in those days. Sadly the skills are long gone as are the people involved. Sad that they were never passed on to a future generation.

While the name may eventually resurface the same quality won't.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
lbaker45, I've seen photos of your impressive extensive collection of handguns, are you going to come clean and admit that you've acquired one and just keeping from disclosing it because it was acquired thru back channels and hasn't officially been released?? Wink Cmon now...

No, I won't be buying the new Python when I own this second month of production 1955 Python with a low 3-digit serial number. As new condition, factory fired only. I keep it wet with oil so it looks a bit spotty in this pic. The royal blue finish is still 100%, very rare!

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Your collection never ceases to amaze..Beautiful example. I've always had an affinity for the Python, always seem to manage to have one. Had my share of a great many S&W's too. I just like the way a Python seems to fit my grip, the balance and feel. I'd imagine that others would say the same about their Smith's also.

For those who may ever need a refinish job with the old Colt blue flavor, when I was still posting many years back on the Colt forum, many favored and had great experiences with Ford's in Florida. Here's a link for those who may like to browse. The linked page is where they have a special section on their "Python Project"

LINK>>>>> Ford's Colt Refinishing and their Python Project

Just an aside. On their Python Project photo's page, if you just click on the photo, to see the many other images associated just click on the right hand side in the middle of the page at the very edge and you can scroll thru the many images of that particular refinishing job. I'm adding this because in my screen after clicking on the image to be enlarged, you cannot see clearly a page scroll mark to click.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
I’m biased. But the new one just does not that that finish. I believe it was outlawed because of an EPA issue? That could be internet law but makes for a good story.

You're thinking of the Glock Tennifer process, which they had to stop using because of EPA regulations.

The polishing process that Colt Pythons got back in the heyday was nothing short of absolute master work. Sometime in the last year or so, I saw some scans of a magazine article about the process, showing the barn-sized wall covered with dozens of different grade buffing wheels that they worked through to get to an absolute mirror-smooth polish before they gave them their final finish. I forget the number of years the "apprentice" had under his belt, but it was many, and he wasn't considered a "master polisher" yet. I wanna say the article was from the very early 60's.

That's what makes the Python finishes so wonderful, especially the deep blue: the polishing. And it's extremely labor intensive and dependent on a handful of master craftsmen, as with all other steps of their manufacturing. That's one of the things that made them less profitable to produce, and led to their lessening "quality" in later years and eventual discontinuation.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
leonidas211, please update when you've had the chance to get out to the range, and feedback on the ammo and accuracy. I really enjoyed pushing .38+ down the tube as well as the .357mags. Most of all it was also a joy to shoot it!

Regards, Will G.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
New youtube video of Ken Hackathorn shooting the new Python. He likes it better than the original. At 13:57, there is a decent close up of the pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLYZruNw_g

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
In reading my newest issue of American Handgunner, I saw the full page ad for the new Python. It was about eight or nine pages in. It looked pretty good.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like how people are bashing it when they haven’t even seen one yet other that a few crappy photo’s .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the OP of this thread. I want to say I am so happy with the announcement of the new python.

I will get a 4 inch soon enough. The more classics that come out like this. The more we all get to enjoy them.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Thanks for starting the thread. It gets my enthusiasm up. ( Leonidas)
It has been 3.5 years since I heard something in wind... A rumor that Uberti was entertaining the idea of resurecting the Python with their Italian made clone.(no agreement with Colt?)
I wonder if any Italian parts are in the new Colt "snake gun".
Regardless, it got me to lightly oiling my 8" nickled Python , and puting some 20 mild handloads thru it.
Guessing now a few years later , I'll shoot it some again, at the indoor range club I have joined.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, if they've modified the revolver to have a second locking point, it might be worth the cash. Then again, if they've modified the internals, it's not really a Python, is it?

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Well, if they've modified the revolver to have a second locking point, it might be worth the cash. Then again, if they've modified the internals, it's not really a Python, is it?

Kind of like those Ferrari Kit Cars with a Ford Engine in them. Not A Ferrari........

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Kind of like those Ferrari Kit Cars with a Ford Engine in them. Not A Ferrari........

A new Ferrari doesn't have 6 carberators anymore like the old ones do they???? It's still a python, just with newer technology...….and yeah, they need a second locking point as original pythons are known to get out of time.

If you want an original, buy an original. If you want a nice one to shoot, with air conditioning......buy a new one! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post