SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    PK380 or M&P 380 Easy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PK380 or M&P 380 Easy Login/Join 
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted
Just curious where everyone with experience lands on these two guns. I've got a G42 but looking for something with a little less snap for the wife and her friends.

Question:
Which is better for the timid shooter?

Choices:
1. Walther PK380
2. S&W M&P 380 Easy
3. Glock 42

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had both, and the EZ is far easier to handle in all regards.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Own 2 and 3. I consider the G42 very soft shooting but the EZ is even better in that regard. Never tried a Walther PK380.

Posts: 34 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I can't compare having fired only my Shield 380 EZ. The S&W is easy to operate and comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock 42 and my friend just got a 380 EZ for his wife. I don't consider the G42 snappy at all but the Smith does have less recoil. Since it is a bigger gun I really don't compare it to the G42 though.

One thing about the Smith is that is is a hammer fired gun with a longer trigger pull. Both my buddy and his wife were kind of surprised at the length of pull (they mostly do 1911's). They both shot low left with it.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, it is the Shield 380 EZ, larger grip to distribute the recoil, more weight than the Glock 42. Shooting last weekend with my wife and her sister (first time shooter), they both preferred the Glock 42. Go figure. Smaller hands? Also, the Talon grip tape may have helped to some extent.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I currently have 4 380s including a Glock 42 and a EZ 380. I can say i've grown fond of the EZ 380. I think some of it is the grip feels very good to me and it feels comfortable to shoot for me. I have not had a chance to shoot the newer PK380 so can not say much at this point about it.

Posts: 2676 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot any of these guns, nor am I timid. Razz With that out of the way, I voted for the Shield. It has a grip safety and optional frame-mounted manual safety (much easier to operate than the Walther's slide-mounted one) for the timid, as well as an external slide stop/release. For the timid, IMO the little Glock - which is more of a pocket pistol - isn't even in the running.

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I bought a S&W M&P .380EZ, it was on sale for $310 with a lock box (S&W promo deal), I just couldn't pass it up. Very easy to operate and shoot, just like its name implies. I figured if the arthritis in my hands gets too intolerable, it will come in handy. Right now it just sits in my safe, while my LCP performs .380ACP mini gun duty.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have the EZ and its not reliable. Bunch of folks on the Smith forum are saying the same thing. I dont think its ready for prime time yet.

The Smith 380EZ with thumb safety is too darn easy to put on safe in the middle of firing a mag. (mine has no safe). I was at a Smith & Wesson range day and everyone that shot the Smith 380EZ with thumb safety kept accidentally bumping the safety and putting the gun on safe in the middle of the firing string. And this was EVERY shooter that shot the gun, perhaps 10 folks I saw shoot it.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Bought a M&P 380 EZ last Fall. Have used a number of different types of ammo and have had zero issues. Great gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4859,

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for the EZ because field stripping he Walther is silly with their stupid plastic key to take it apart. I’ve shot both and both shot fine for me, but I haven’t put a huge number of rounds through either of them so I don’t know about long term reliability.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why are you looking at a .380 if your wife is "timid"?

Why not a full size gun like a G17 9mm?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Tried a 19, she didn’t like. I’m investigating options. Keep hoping to get her shooting something besides a 22LR

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

My wife had a G19 and a G17 and didn't like them. She loves the M&P EZ.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I have the EZ and its not reliable. Bunch of folks on the Smith forum are saying the same thing. I dont think its ready for prime time yet.

The Smith 380EZ with thumb safety is too darn easy to put on safe in the middle of firing a mag. (mine has no safe). I was at a Smith & Wesson range day and everyone that shot the Smith 380EZ with thumb safety kept accidentally bumping the safety and putting the gun on safe in the middle of the firing string. And this was EVERY shooter that shot the gun, perhaps 10 folks I saw shoot it.

Maybe a return to S&W is in order, wouldn't hurt to call their CS and inquire.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I’ve got 2 and 3.

The EZ is not as reliable as the 42...IME

Mine went back to smith on their dime and is better now. Used to get a lot of double ejections (I.e., one round fired and one round Unfired). Still need to run it more before I’d trust it for carry. But for range work it’s delightful. Son and fiancée both love it. I have the manual safety and wish I didn’t. The new EZ Performance Center looks interesting. They also sell a version with laser sight factory installed. I agree with the other poster that the EZ is easier in all regards to handle and manipulate vs the G42....and the G42 is pretty darned easy.

Love the 42 as well. I’m a Glock guy. Its what you think it is. It’s very soft and perfectly reliable. It’s a bit smaller than the EZ so not as easy for me to grip but still a hoot to shoot. If they ever come out with a G42x or the like I’ll be all over it.

The Walter would never get on my radar.

The Bersa Or SIG 238 would be my distant 3rd or 4th choice in no particular order...I’ve owned the SIG before but it moved out with my ex.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M&P 380EZ

Smoother shooter, ez to rack slide, good trigger, nice ergonomics.

I know of individuals with limited hand strength (injured vets, arthritic adults) who enjoy the heck out of it for protection and target shooting.

I hope Smith is able to make a 9mm version of it. It would be a even bigger seller I think.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 617 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two S&W 380 EZs. One for me and one for the wife. We're both getting a little long in the tooth and these are easy to load (mags have a button like .22 mags), easy to rack, and nice shooters to boot.

Chris
Faith, Family, Charity

Posts: 45 | Location: Austin | Registered: January 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post