SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Some times it is just nice to get out and shoot.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some times it is just nice to get out and shoot. Login/Join 
posted
I have been to the indoor range a couple of times since i returned to VA from Seattle. I haven't spent a whole lot of time at my outdoor range.

I was able to do a bit of shooting today. I had so much fun testing the new threaded barrel for my Smith and Wesson shield, i thought hell lets do it again.

So this time I loaded up another 100 rounds for the shield, 75 rounds for my pre 14 38 and 100 rounds for my victory.

It is good to be home.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot at your range any day of the week and twice on Sundays, over an indoor range if I could. That looks like loads of fun. Unfortunately, here the only outdoor range is far, can only fire 1 round every 5 seconds. Range is hot for 10 minutes and cold for 10 minutes, can't have silhouettes of humans or animals....and targets can't be closer than 15 yards, among other nonsense......so indoor ranges it is.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lookin' good!

Just a few more weeks and it will be cool enough for me to shoot outdoors again.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Now that's livin' the dream!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have an equal amount of dirt to move later this winter.
Now that my berm has settled a bit, i will add the remainder.

I would like to get a dueling tree and a couple more silloutte targets.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'd shoot at your range any day of the week and twice on Sundays, over an indoor range if I could. That looks like loads of fun. Unfortunately, here the only outdoor range is far, can only fire 1 round every 5 seconds. Range is hot for 10 minutes and cold for 10 minutes, can't have silhouettes of humans or animals....and targets can't be closer than 15 yards, among other nonsense......so indoor ranges it is.

Wow!! Can they even legally call that a "shooting range"??? That's unbelievable.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I occasionally bring a new shooter to the range at a local WMA for their first time shooting.
I always get there at the break of day. It makes a positive impression to be in such a relaxing scenario , much like your's as far as nature goes, and usually without any other shooters around.
Nice post.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
That is definitely sweet. Shooting outdoors for me is a premium usually limited to large classes and travel.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome and gun powder smells a lot better outside Razz

Posts: 114 | Location: NJ | Registered: December 09, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:
quote:

Wow!! Can they even legally call that a "shooting range"??? That's unbelievable.

That's pretty restrictive. It seems odd to me that an outdoor range would be more restrictive than indoor.

No indoor ranges here that I know of except, for Rimfire competition during the winter. I'm not really that familiar with what and when.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonFrost:
quote:

Hmph. Around here there's a couple of 'organized' ranges that have similar draconian rules. Both are now situated near residences, thanks to the continual encroachment of development over the decades. Subsequently both have long-standing members and leadership that are highly protective of the sanctity of continued operations of their enterprise. I understand their concern but detest shooting at either locale nevertheless because of their dictates.

Both ranges mandate with semi-auto rifle that it's one round in the mag as their way to control the rate of fire. They hate gas systems that auto-eject the spent case but neither has banned them, but if you have an adjustable gas block that can be turned off, it's a gold star for you...but regardless it's still only one round in the mag at a time. Bolt and lever long guns have no such limitation however; because the action is normally manually driven. Never mind that an AR with the gas system shut off is ALSO manual. Hypocrites.

Targets that hint at a human form is verboten at both facilities, though animal silhouettes are okay since both ranges purportedly cater to and have hunters as their primary clientele. Both have similar slow fire requirements, or else face you face the wrath of an irate range officer and will more than likely get booted out as a result. The whole idea of training for defensive shooting is an enforced alien and vile thing to both places.

But I agree with the subject line regardless; sometimes it IS just plain great to go out and enjoy a little shooting time.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I don't have a beautiful personal range like DSgrouse, but some of you other guys are causing me to count my blessings again. At least the local range here in Rim Country is close, available 24/7, and no magazine or shots per whatever restrictions. In fact, if you are so fortunate as to have a full auto this or that, blaze away.

NRA Life

Posts: 1564 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
That's a nice range setup you have. I have to go about 20 minutes to the private range I shoot at. Since I have to set up and take down all the targets I will never have it looking like yours.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post