SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Found An Obsolete Cold War Era Designed Commie Today Or CZSP01 Range Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found An Obsolete Cold War Era Designed Commie Today Or CZSP01 Range Report Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I have been having a rough few months and as such I have picked up a couple new toys recently with the HKP30 and now this CZ75 SP-01. The HK continues to hum along with nothing but accurate, reliable shooting. It's fantastic.

At any rate today I dropped into one of my local shops just, well, just because. Its a happy place. It's funny some folks think owning lots of guns means you are preparing for Mad Max when the reality is, at least for me, its a fun endorphin rush not unlike opening up a new toy on Christmas morning as a kid. Hurting anybody or anything is the farthest thing from my mind when I pick up a new gun. I hadn't even planned on picking a gun up but as FOOL+MONEY*TEMPTATION=FOOL(ENDORPHIN RUSH)+GUN Alas I am the fool in that equation.

So anyway I went in and what I found was indeed a cold war era design that was also a communist design......it is however far from obsolete.

So here is what we have. A 2017 production CZ75 SP-01. As a matter fact, I went to the future and picked this gun up as the test target is dated 8/4/2017. Bad news folks.......still no P10Cs in the wild in the future. Big Grin Seriously though I guess somebody fat fingered the test target.

I had been sort of wanting an SP-01 tactical in the back of my head but not enough to actively seek one out. When faced with one in case I had to grab it. They also had several of the models with threaded barrels and suppressor sights (75/P07/P09).

Here she is all cleaned up for her strong like bull, built like one too beauty shot.

So on to my thoughts. As always each score is out of 5 and completely my personal observations of this particular gun.

VALUE - 4
Let's look at value first. There was a time when CZ's always pegged the value scale. Those days are not gone but we will say fading. That being said to get an all steel, hammer fired, 9mm handgun with a great history from a reputable manufacturer in 2017 for 6-8 bones is still a pretty good value especially in a sea of plastic. Is it still the good old days? Probably not but its not a 1000 dollar plastic pistol either, I mean that would just be crazy talk. Roll Eyes

TRIGGER - 4
The trigger on this particular gun is quite good. Much better then the P01 I had many years back. No real grit in the pull, fairly nice double action, nice crisp single action and not a half bad reset. Its a pretty nice bang switch for a double action gun.

ERGOS - 3
The CZ75 and the Browning Hi-Power sort of wrote the book on comfortable pistols back in the way back time when we couldn't just splooge out any shape we wanted. This CZ feels like every other CZ75 which is super nice. Great fit in the hand, high grip, low bore access and just feels great. Really the only thing that lets it down vs. the modern world is the lack of ambi controls (except the decocker) and the fact that the slide rides so deep into the frame which give you a little less purchase on it. All in all it was a great feeling pistol 40 years ago and who'd a thunk but apparently human hands haven't changed much because....SURPRISE!!! Still a great feeling pistol.

RELIABILITY - 5
I'll be honest I have a fair bit of experience with a large number of firearms and its not a secret that CZ's are not generally finished all that well on the inside vs. the competition. Because of this I am always a little hesitant every time I take a new one out. I always have this fear in the back of my head that the lack of finishing is going to mean a break in period or general feeding issues...........I have never had that happen with a CZ for real.

This particular SP-01 came out of the box, got a quick clean and function check and had 150 rounds run in a fairly short time. Spoiler alert.......No malfunctions of any kind. At first I thought I was getting a lot of back to the face type ejection so I was thinking weak ejection until I realized I was near the right most wall at the range and the ejection was actually so robust it was banging the rounds off the wall back at me.

I ran a box of Winchester 124 Grain Nato, a 50 round mix of Gold Dot and HST ammo and finished out with a box of 115 grain PMC Bronze. Everything ran like a champ.

RECOIL - 5++++
This is a BIG ASS, ALL STEEL, INTERNAL FRAME RAIL HAVING, ITTY BITTY CALIBER HANDGUN!!! So basically if you find this gun has any sort of robust recoil you might talk to your doctor because you may not have long left. The point is this thing just SOAKS up any kind of recoil. +P stuff feels not different then cheap stuff.

ACCURACY - 5
I always hesitate to make a judgement on this since I am not really any kind of marksman. I will say that I was very pleased with the first 150 mixed rounds and was so happy I took 5 shots at the farthest possible point, which I rarely do because I don't have the skill set for it but this gun made me give her a go and I was fairly happy with my results.

At any rate here is today's targets 10 yard shooting.

CARRY-ABILITY - 2
I mean I will give it a 2 because its not a Mark 23 or you know a rifle. Big Grin Seriously though its a big honkin' heavy beast. This is a bedside gun or maybe a duty gun, even though with all the other crap you have to carry on duty this would add a significant amount of unnecessary weight. I mean its not crew served but think bedside.

EFFICIENCY - 4
You know its a heavy gun because its all steel so I am not going to ding it for the material choice vs. plastic. The point it CZ is able to stuff what seems like three boxes of ammo into a magazine and still have a grip profile that is one of the most comfortable out there. Most CZ's are pretty size efficient for what they carry. Yes this a fairly big CZ75 but 18-20 rounds on tap is ton of ammo. I think CZ generally does a good job here.

SIGHTS - 3
Good solid set of steel mepros. They are bright good three dot affairs. Nothing to write home about but nothing bad either. Good value though getting a decent set of night sights on this gun.

FIT AND FINISH - 3
So I have owned a CZ75 P-01 previously in the way back time and the interior fit and finish was....lets say utilitarian. Like forged by Dwarven high school students in shop class. Very strong, very reliable not so pretty.

I have to say this SP-01 is leaps better than that P-01 was. The interior is pretty good. Not horrible tool marks our anything like that. Its still not a finely engineered, finely crafted piece of industrial art but not half bad compared to a lot of CZ75s I have seen.

Exterior on CZ's tend to be fine and the polycoat seems to do pretty well. This SP-01 looks pretty good on the outside.

The rubber grips will be replaced by some VZ's but they work well and are comfortable. The Phillips head grip screws, however, NEVER look great on a gun.

Again all in all the fit and finish on this SP-01 is pretty good and better inside then other CZ's I have experience with.

TAKE DOWN - 3
CZ75s can be a bit of pain to take down at least early on. Lining up the lines and then basically having to hammer out the slide stop. (top tip, use the bottom of your magazine). The point is they are not as easy to take down as a thoroughly modern pistol but easier then a 1911 and far in away less foul language inducing then a Ruger Mark I, II, III pistol.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS
Plastic recoil guide. I don't usually get my knickers in a twist over this. I don't change my Glocks out etc. I just feel like an old school gun like the CZ75 should have a steel guide rod.

Magazines. The magazines are made by Mec-Gar, who arguably makes the best magazines period. That being said I don't know what it is with CZ mags but both my P-01 years ago and this SP-01 mags could be used as maracas in a show when fully loaded. No big deal as other guns doe this from time to time too just an observation.

Front Strap Checkering. OH MY GOD THANK YOU CZ FOR CHECKERING THIS AREA INSTEAD OF THE VERTICAL CUTS USED ON THE P-01. Those vertical cuts, at least on my P-01 would tear the hell out of my strong side fingers. They were sharp. I mean on the plus side I could Julienne potatoes with them if necessary but I don't find the need to Julienne potatoes all that often so that benefit was lost on me. Big Grin The checkering is SOOOOOO much better and more comfortable to me.

SO DO I LIKE IT?
Yeah I like it a helluva lot. Shooting this thing is almost like shooting a .22 pistol in terms of how easy, relaxing, non fatigue inducing it is. Combine that with the accuracy, reliability, belt fed like ammo capacity and fact this is an all steel REAL pistola and I like is immensely. It also addresses my one issue I personally had with my P-01 so big thumbs up for me.

WOULD I SUGGEST IT??
As a home defense gun absolutely everyday and twice on Sunday. Easy to shoot, good sights, accurate, light mount, holds a veritable box of ammo. Hell yeah, this thing has home defense written all over it.

As an ONLY gun or as a carry gun. Probably not. There are better options for somebody who wants ONE GUN or just a carry gun. If you are however in a jurisdiction where carry is not an option or you don't feel that will ever be an personal option for you then by all means give this thing a shot.

So there you have it another high drag low speed review from some damn idiot on the interwebz who has as much tactical know how as the militant wing of the Girl Scouts of America. So as always take my thoughts for what they are worth as I am no gunfighter nor do I have a desire to be one. I am just some joker with slightly more money then brains and the economic sense of an hungover Enron accountant.

As always,
Take care, shoot safe.
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yep.

I want one.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
CZs are winners. Good report. I am not a fan of the decocking models as the triggers feel gritty in dry fire. Your report indicates that the newer guns may be improved. The CZ 83 is on 'the list'. If CZ introduces a P10 in longslide or 5" configuration then I will be on that like white on rice.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice write up/review CS.

My CZ collection has grown the past two years from heaving none to five as of now. I have two SP-01 Tac pistols and I pretty much agree with your numbering system except for.......

ergos.

In my hands it would be at least a 4 if not a 5. Nothing so far has been as good in hand as the CZ 75 series.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Totally agree on grip alone. I was thinking more holistically in terms of the abbreviated slide height (great for accuracy and recoil less so ergos) and lack of ambi controls and I personally could do with a hair longer slide stop. Now all of this is just my personal observation YMMV.

The grip is FANTASTIC and easily a 4-5 in its own right. The shipped rubber grips feel great as well and are contoured nicely but I have replaced them with some thinner G10 grips. I have smallish hands and to be honest I wanted some contrast.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
A buddy turned me on to CZ, yada yada... no I have three including a custom P-01 from CGW. Welcome back to CZ country!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok Gotcha CS !

Post some pics with the new grips panels when you get a chance.

I am looking for something to replace the stock rubber ones on my PCR and cannot decide what color to get !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ha ha YUP !

They seem to multiply like rabbits !

Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
Just got this last week Wink

Gonna convert my old SP01 into a full time kadet .22

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As requested here is the CZ with her new shoes.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very nice, cslinger!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I agree with your assessment. CZ makes an excellent gun in terms of ergonomics,accuracy, reliability, and recoil management, even at twice the price.

My CZ75 is all of those things, but when you take the slide off and look at the insides, it looks like Egor might have had a bit too much Vodka with breakfast before finishing out the internal parts. Even when lubricated, the slide feels rough and gritty when worked. I will say that the trigger, while rough, has a nice snappy break and tactile "Glock-like" reset.

I am very much a fan of CZ pistols with all of their quirks.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I had this out to the range again today to give the new shoes a go. I also brought my P2000 .40 and I cannot say I did too wonderfully with the HK P2K today but as I have said I AM NOT a great shot and sometimes I really have off days. I figured I was having an off day.

So I picked up the CZ after a box through the HK and holy hell this thing is 3 pounds of friggin AWESOME. Jesus it feels good and after a compact, plastic .40 was literally like shooting a .22. I have lots of firearms of all types/frame materials and this might be the easiest / most pleasant shooting center fire semi auto pistol I own. The extra weight out front is definitely noticeable vs a regular CZ75 in a good way.

I completely understand why variants of this thing are coveted for gun games. Mine is as pedestrian a version as they come and it would be a killer IDPA type gun.

So ummmm yeah.....fun gun. Smile

posted Hide Post
Slinger, I really liked your review and it's spot on. I have a small collection of CZs and love to shoot them. I had a couple of 75Bs and found a couple of slides on sale in the CZ Forum of the SP-01 and put them on the 75B frame, wow! Then I took the slide off my P-01 and put a SP-01 slide on it. Frame felt excellent in the had and with the slide it was accuracy awesome. Since the P-01 is smaller the extra length slide does not add to the printing, and they carry well. Keep up the reports.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
As requested here is the CZ with her new shoes.

Dang I dig those !

Are they VZ or LOK ?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Was gonna go VZ but found these on Amazon they are Cool Hand, I believe. They fit perfectly. 53 bucks I believe.

posted Hide Post
^^^^
Cool

I have not seen that pattern before, I like it. I will check them out.

Thanx !

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have VZs on several revolvers and I was worried about stepping outside that box and I had never heard of this brand but the 1911 guys seemed happy.

I have to say fit and finish is every bit as good as my VZ stuff and I dig their patterns. They have a snake skin pattern that I liked as well. So far handling and shooting they are awesome.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
RE: those grips.

If you rely on grip pressure front to back with your support hand, there isn't much traction to be had with those particular grips. I tried them very briefly and did not stick with them.

YMMV.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MY CZ PO1 is a definite keeper. It is a superb pistol.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post