SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need help determing a value of a 228 I may purchase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help determing a value of a 228 I may purchase Login/Join 
Picture of AW_239
posted
Ive been out of the Sig game for a bit and have the chance to pick up a very good condition used 228 from a co worker. Based on the serial it is a 2004 model. It confused me because there is no date code and it says Made in W Germany on the slide. I want to make a fair offer for the gun and figure this was the best place to ask.

Posts: 764 | Registered: January 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a parts gun. It may be a great shooter, but not a true P228.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yup, parts gun, no doubt about it.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AW_239
posted Hide Post
Parts gun as in Sig made it from left over parts or some guy in his basement made it from parts?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AW_239:
Parts gun as in Sig made it from left over parts or some guy in his basement made it from parts?

Anything is possible. Call SIG with the serial # to see if it was a CPO. If not, then Bubba did it. Because there is no possible way that it was factory original.

Q

Posts: 26324 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AW_239
posted Hide Post
Ok so I made a mistake. It doesn’t say made in W Germany, it just says made in Germany on the slide. No proof marks or date code that he can find. Does that make more sense?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AW_239:
Ok so I made a mistake. It doesn’t say made in W Germany, it just says made in Germany on the slide. No proof marks or date code that he can find. Does that make more sense?

Then, in this case, it's just a P228 assembled at SIG USA. The folded slide is always made in Germany. Since it was assembled here, there are no German proof marks or date code, and only single serial number (on frame).

Q

Picture of AW_239
posted Hide Post
Any idea what I should
Offer to purchase it from him?

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Is it just the pistol, or does it come with the original factory box, manual, and other stuff that originally came with the gun. That makes a difference in value to some folks.

ETA: Also, does it come with any extras - additional magazines, holster(s), or whatever.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AW_239
posted Hide Post
I believe it is just the gunnwith 2 Mags

posted Hide Post
Maybe $500.00 on a good day if I was feeling generous and it was in really nice condition.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would think it's a desirable gun but not a collectible gun so condition is the most important issue.
Detailed pic's would help.
A quick look through the classifieds here would give you a good idea of value.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I would think it's a desirable gun but not a collectible gun so condition is the most important issue.
Detailed pic's would help.
A quick look through the classifieds here would give you a good idea of value.

Agreed, especially the bold part. VG condition, great shape, mint, LNIB, blah blah blah... vary with each person's perception, that they're really meaningless without any pics. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "new" condition with obvious holster wear, mint condition with tons of scuffs, etc., it's ridiculous.

Also, check GB for completed auction prices.

Q

posted Hide Post
Have you personally inspected the pistol?

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post