SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Springfield Armory XDs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Armory XDs Login/Join 
posted
I have recently started to use this pistol, in .40 as an off duty carry piece. I like the size and due to the heft, recoil control of my duty carry load has been decent. I do prefer the Glock trigger though. I am issued the classic Glock 22 and I would have definitely preferred a slim line .40, like a 43 in .40 for ammunition purposes. I have only put 350 rounds of mixed ammo through this pistol. I was wondering if anyone else carries this model and what the long term reliability experience has been? Any significant parts breakage?

Posts: 378 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the XDs in .45 and in 9mm. I don't think I have any in .40, but I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

For a small Glock, you'd be stuck with the G27, as the G43 doesn't come in .40. If you're authorized a different cartridge for personal off-duty carry, the G43 is an excellent pistol in 9mm, though.

I bought an XDs in .45 and a Shield in .40 at the same time; the Shield failed miserably (frame split) shortly after I got it. The XDs has been fine. Originally I planned to carry it more as I liked the thin aspect, but I ended up moving on to the G43 for pocket carry and it's become a favorite. I've been carrying the P365 quite a bit lately, too.

The XDs trigger feels spongy to me. Powder River makes a kit for the trigger, and replacement trigger shoes are available from Precision Overwatch (they sell the whole kit, too).

https://shop.powderriverprecis...ory.sc?categoryId=41

https://overwatchprecision.com.../springfield-armory/

I haven't had any parts break. I haven't bothered as I haven't ended up beating mine up much, but I'd replace the sights. The little fiber optic up front is visible well enough in bright light, but I suspect it would only be a matter of time until the insert disappears, and I'd rather have tritium for low-light, with a contrast front sight like a Trijicon HD.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one in 45. Great little shooter. I really like it. I don't carry it anymore because I want capacity. I just don't feel that these little mouse guns are up to the job should the need to defend yourself becomes necessary, especially with the real possibility of multiple offenders. So it, my G43 and my much loved 239 now sit in my safe.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rob Leatham and the GRIP ZONE! I have the 45. I like my Glocks and Sigs better. It is OK.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I bought one in .40 a couple of years ago and it’s a great pistol. Not sure how many rds thru it but I’ve shot 3 or 4 matches with it so that’s 600/800 rds of 180 ball with zero problems.
Talon Grips in rubber do a great job. And a set of Trijicon HDXR’s are dead on.
Carry GoldDots in it, no issues. I’ve got a Dara IWB that I use, very comfortable.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The extractor roll pin, listed as part#35 in the manual is subject to breakage as result of dry firing. They are cheap part but if it breaks it could disable the pistol. The quality of XD line is excellent and I have found them flawless in operation.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I have a lot of leeway with my off duty carry pistol. 380, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45acp, .38 Special and .357 magnum are all options and I can use any semi auto or revolver of major manufacturers (Glock, Sig, HK, beretta, Springfield, Colt, Ruger, etc). Although I can change the sights and grips and change the finish of the gun, it is frowned upon to mess with the action (liability). I think I will keep the trigger stock for now. I will however change out the sights. I prefer the stock sights of this pistol over the Glock however. I plan to shoot this pistol a great deal more before making my final decision on whether I keep using this as my off duty or if I will use another.

Posts: 378 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried the 10mm?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The XD series are commonly found on the used market, in my area. From what I’ve seen, they are quality firearms despite the negative press Springfield garnered for themselves due to poor political judgement. But, I digress. I would probably pick one up, if the timing is right. I like the ergonomics and the long barrel “match grade” .40 S&W model I examined had a very nice trigger reset.

Former US Army, Sgt., 82nd Abn. Div. Paratrooper,
Infantryman, (81mm Mortars) Certified Armorer

Love God, Country, & Family

Posts: 89 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really like mine in 9mm.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post