SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Securing Steel Target
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Securing Steel Target Login/Join 
posted
Just purchased an 8 inch 3/8th inch thick steel plate from AR for pistol practice. I set a shepards hook in the ground and for starters just hung the plate with clothes line rope. Issues with rope were after a few rounds of 9mm the rope was already beginning to fray and the plate spun like crazy and took a while to come to rest.

Looking for ideas on how to better hang the plate either on the hook or another method?

Thanks.

Posts: 140 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention my steel target has only one hole through it.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Just hang it on the hook. Or is the hole too small?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hole is too small (3/8th inch) however I could purchase a hook with smaller tip and or enlarge existing hole a little.

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
How about this? Eyebolt (as small as is usable for your hook, to limit rotation) out the back side. A nut on the front & back. Bend eyebolt to desired orientation. Hang on Shepherd's hook. An added benefit is that it will angle slightly downward.

Just an idea...

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have tried lots of different targets and set ups and then finally built this dueling tree and have been very happy with it. it lets you shoot at different angles heights and provides some feed back, the plates are only 4 inch in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. of course it doesn't look this good anymore but has held up really well.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a bolt (carriage) through the steel and attach a small piece of chain on the back side. hang that on whatever you are using.
alternatively I use firehose, but I have access to it, but its not bad to find for nothing.
Cutting a bigger hole in AR plate is not trivial if you don't have a plasma cutter but if you do slot it and gtg.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post