SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cleaning question regarding rust spots
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning question regarding rust spots Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
What would be the best method for removing a few tiny light rust freckles/spots on a stainless pistol frame? I acquired a Ruger 1911 and the original owner must not have cleaned under the grips so there are a few small areas of surface oxidation.

Should I get a scotch brite pad? Should I use Flitz? CLP and a rag did a little, but not as good as I wanted.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Start with a brass/copper bristled brush and oil. Only move up to more abrasive options if needed.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Rogue you are always super helpful thanks brother! Will try that.

posted Hide Post
I have used 1000 grit paper with oil and be sure and follow the grain of the stainless. I have learned from my mistakes on a stainless 1911. Good luck!

Posts: 31 | Registered: October 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try polishing it with Nevrdull, it is NON abrasive and will remove the rust. I work with rusty stainless on almost a daily basis.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK is dead on right in that the idea is to start with the least aggressive method, and then carefully step it up, if the situation calls for it.

I've successfully used small dabs of 0000 steel wool and Hoppes oil or Break Free CLP and light/ moderate finger pressure to remove light rust from both blued carbon steel and unfinished stainless steel guns. Go slowly. Once the rust has been removed be sure to clean up all residual slurry and wool remnants. If working with a finished gun you can determine whether it requires touching up the finish, or, in most cases a standard light oil wipe down is all that is needed.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know they sound kind of gimmicky, but this have worked well for me: https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bronze wool and Ezox works for me. Much less abrasive that steel wool as it is softer than steel, but will remove rust.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always had good luck covering the speckles with a liberal amount of a penetrating oil like Corrosion-X first, letting it sit overnight, and then using bronze wool on the spots the next day. It usually comes right off. Bronze is softer than steel so it won't scratch the metal. As others have said - you can always get more aggressive with your approach later if needed. Good luck!

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have seen Mark Novak (gunsmith for C&Rsenal on YouTube) discuss boiling a gun with rust on it to conserve it. In his “Anvil” series I think it is in conservation 101. Apparently it does something to the rust chemically and you can then rub it off with 0000steelwool and it won’t rust anymore. But it takes a few cycles of 45 mins each cycle if it’s bad.

https://youtu.be/rShG_F85W1Y

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DO NOT use steel wool to remove stains or rust on stainless steel guns. The action of rubbing the wool on the steel will embed microscopic particles of the steel wool in the base material.

The steel wool particles will then rust, giving the impression thaat the stainless steel is rusting again.

Use "Scotchbrite" pads instead of steel wool. They leave behind no residue that can rust, yet can be just as effective as wool.

Posts: 17 | Registered: December 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I tried the brass brush with some CLP and then some Nevrdull polish. The spots are much better but I think some of the spots may not have been rust but rather just rub marks from the grips as the remaining tiny marks are grayish.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Jeff:
DO NOT use steel wool to remove stains or rust on stainless steel guns. The action of rubbing the wool on the steel will embed microscopic particles of the steel wool in the base material.

The steel wool particles will then rust, giving the impression thaat the stainless steel is rusting again.

Use "Scotchbrite" pads instead of steel wool. They leave behind no residue that can rust, yet can be just as effective as wool.

I used to work in aviation and dissimilar metal corrosion was a concern when working on aircraft, although it was most frequently associated with aluminum. If you have a softer less aggressive abrasive medium to work with then it makes sense to start with that and see how it does, but as I pointed out earlier, using a super fine grade steel wool on stainless steel doesn't guarantee that rust will form. The specific type of stainless steel is likely a factor, but I've used the method on enough guns to feel comfortable in saying that if you use only light to moderate finger pressure and not some sort of electric sander, buffer, or the like, you simply don't produce enough pressure or friction to embed any of the steel wool particles into the surface metal. Keep the particles out of the nooks and crannies, wipe them away when the job is done, and either touch up the finish or live with the slight discoloration in the remaining lightened finish, do a thorough clean up, and you really shouldn't have to worry about rust returning in that area.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigp6
posted Hide Post
Agree with Fredward, Eezox is amazeballs.

Every once in a while I like to masturbate a big word into a conversation - even if I'm not sure what it means.

Posts: 38 | Registered: May 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soak with Eezox overnight then use a pencil eraser and lightly rub the mark.

Posts: 22 | Registered: April 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Jeff:

^^^^^^
This.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post