SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So my 8 year has been wanting to go to the range.......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my 8 year has been wanting to go to the range....... Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So I recently taught my daughter to shoot. She has grown up around firearms and the rules of safety as well as knowing she could always see anything I had she had but only to ask.

My only goals were to demystify the taboo as well as hammer home the safety/responsibility/basic skills (clearing a weapon, getting an adult, safe direction, finger off trigger etc.... blah blah)

I recently had a nice controlled environment with suppressed weapons to teach her some practical shooting. I figured there would be a mag or three of shooting and she would give me that....well that was fun, I wanna play on my IPAD look.

Well to my chagrin not only did she LOVE it....she was ringing 4 inch steel at 20 yards like she was born to do so.

Fast forward to today and she has been bugging me to take her to the "real range". I told her it was going to MUCH louder and she said lets do it. So I took a day off and we did a bunch of stuff including the range.

So we get to the range and I was SOOOOO proud of her safety protocols....seriously she was awesome.

She did get a little freaked out by a dude shooting an AR with what seemed like a .50 BMG muzzle brake on the end......but to be honest even I was like....Da Fuq dude. Once she settled in and got over the noise she got down to business.

I set her up first with a CZ452 Varmint. I got her set up at 25 yards. I told her I would spot from a pair of binoculars. She got settled, I told her to send it and..................
FIRST FRIGGIN SHOT DEAD CENTER OF THE DEAD CENTER OF THE BULL. I am not sure if I am beaming with pride or jealous of the little turd. Big Grin

At any rate here are her two CZ 452 targets from today. I figure by the time she is 11....maybe 12.....she should be giving me pointers. Frown

What a FANTASTIC day.

Guess who is getting her own range bag. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Dad!
Feels good, doesn't it!!!
Give her a big hug from the rest of us shooters and tell your daughter "Welcome to the club."
Big Grin

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
congratulations!!!!!!!! Those are some really nice groups for 25 yards!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Glad to hear that she's taken to the sport so well. Hopefully it'll remain something that can bring the two of you together for years to come.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I’m waiting for that day to come with my 7yo girl too.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I see a competitive shooter in your future!

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
You're 8 year old shoots better than me Big Grin

Good job teaching her dad! Hopefully I'll be taking my 2 boys for their 1st time soon.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
She shoots better than a number of us!

Keep up the good work, Chris!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Great shooting for sure. As was said by a few above she shoots better than I do.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Ten years from now you can bring these out for when she goes on a date with a new guy.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Cool!

Ten years from now you can bring these out for when she goes on a date with a new guy.

I prefer to toss him a shotshell and explain that after 10 pm, it gets a lot faster.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Old Vark WSO
posted Hide Post
Awesome groups, Dad! Ah youth, when the front sight and the target are both in focus. Big Grin

Posts: 75 | Location: Biggest Little City in the World | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
My daughter recently turned 8 and has been asking me.

I can’t wait to take her. That’s awesome that you got to experience that together!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and awesome group! I took my son when he turned 8 as well. It’s a good age!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice ! My local range has a 8 year age min for rimfire rifle. I took my son shortly after he turned 8 and saved a handful of the empty cases and his first target. Just tucked it away for future memories. He’s 10 now and once he got invited to shoot on private land he has not much interest in the range.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kudos to your kid. Kids can really surprise us.

Our club has a youth program, and I was helping out as a range officer for the trap shooting intro. There was a 14-year-old girl in the group who had never fired a shotgun before. The instructor put the shotgun (Mossberg 20-gauge Bantam pump) in her hands, got her in the basic stance, and told her how to follow the bird and pull the trigger as the muzzle passes it. So she calls "Pull" and smokes the bird!

First shot she has ever fired from a shotgun, and she smoked it. Some kids are just naturals.

Posts: 840 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post