SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dstan9615a:
NO I Never will they are FUGLY Guns.

You are judging a gun on its looks alone?

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glocks are tools designed as emergency life-saving implements. When I shop for a tool, I consider its functionality and its ability to perform the task at hand. When I need to buy, say, a shovel, I look for one that has the features needed in order to efficently dig a hole and to move matter from here to there. If I found a shovel which did these things quite well, and that shovel was easy to wield, had a reputation for lasting a very, very long time with minimal maintenance, was ubiquitous, thus allowing for easy replacement of handle or head in case of any issues and cost me little in comparison to many other shovels, I am not going to put it back on the shelf because I find it an offense to the eye. That's just silly. A woman might do such a thing.

I have an entire stable full of some of the finest pistols of the modern era, including a ton of SIGs, and I choose to carry Glocks, and "looks" doesn't enter into that decision at all.

Gocks are ultra-reliable, lightweight and durable. Spare parts and accessories are ubiquitous. A thinking man would- whether or not he actually chooses the Glock- at least give Glocks some consideration. You want pretty? Buy a boquet of roses.

This complaint about Glocks being ugly? Yeah, 1996 called...

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glocks are ultra-reliable, lightweight and durable. Spare parts and accessories are ubiquitous

Exactly why I carry one, and carried one off duty for years.

Like the old Volvo ad, they are boxy, but they are safe.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Got a chance to pick up my Gen 2 G21 today. Way better condition than I expected, especially for the $288 I paid for it. It's been fired some, got some finish wear on the barrel and slide, but I'm just gonna drop in a new recoil spring assembly and go to town. The NS are pretty dead. I don't have large hands at all but I kind of prefer the grip on this to my Gen 4 G21. A Gen 2 was the first G21 I shot and I think it handles recoil better than the Gen 4 (or the old SF model with the pic rail I used to have). I think it dates to around 1995 (BGX...US)

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ran a couple of hundred rounds through my g19 Gen5 and really starting to like it more each time I shoot it.
The half moon cut out in the grip didn't bother me much nor did the kind of unfinished end of the grip but I decided to try several options. The Pearce Gen5 base plate fills the half moom in almost perfect and the Grip Plug (plus the tool) makes a nice transition at the end of the grip and adds just that little extra to grip with.
Pearce base plate was $8.91 Shipped and Vickers Grip Plug was $18.39 shipped on Ebay and money well spent.

The Vickers plug comes with 2 different inserts so you can use with backstraps or without.

IMG_E3452 (800x600)

IMG_E3453 (800x600)

IMG_E3457 (800x600)

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really want to get a 43x or 48 eventually, as they are actually really nice to hold/grip and Glock finally did it right by me with making a tang that doesn't give me slide bite and no need for back straps. I still don't know why they don't offer that on the full size/normal/common models. Glocks may not be as appealing (looks wise) as some other guns, but they just work right out of the box.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
Ran a couple of hundred rounds through my g19 Gen5 and really starting to like it more each time I shoot it.
The half moon cut out in the grip didn't bother me much nor did the kind of unfinished end of the grip but I decided to try several options. The Pearce Gen5 base plate fills the half moom in almost perfect and the Grip Plug (plus the tool) makes a nice transition at the end of the grip and adds just that little extra to grip with.
Pearce base plate was $8.91 Shipped and Vickers Grip Plug was $18.39 shipped on Ebay and money well spent.

I sanded just the very edge of the sharp corner on both sides of the cutout, and it hasn't bothered me at all. 10 seconds, and it was gone.

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
Does doing a Polymer 80 build count?

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:

I sanded just the very edge of the sharp corner on both sides of the cutout, and it hasn't bothered me at all. 10 seconds, and it was gone.

Yup! Just sanded the sharp edge off and can’t even feel the cutout anymore.

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just when you think this thread is dead, some fucktard says shit like this ... just to remove any doubt as to what an idiot he is

It's not that there are a bunch of Glock fanboi's here ... because there are. But I've found that the fanboi's have a basis in fact, not just because its the "gun of the month" ... but because police and military's have put it thorough torture tests and find them superior at a price point that makes it stand out. I'd love to know how many people have said the same thing, only to eat their words after shooting one, but I'm not going to go back through the 485 pages of this thread that's been active for over 10 years for that count ... that alone should say something about Glock.
And this isn't even a Glock forum.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, because of the 365, I will be selling/trading a Glock. I like my first P365 so much, I’m going to sell the g26 to buy another one, or trade it for a 365. But my Glock 19 ain’t going nowhere. Its with me for the long haul.

Posts: 54 | Location: Myrtle beac SC | Registered: March 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I'm 63 years old and been shooting for the last 40+ of those. And I've had or fired alot of firearms over the years. I I can tell you what absolute confidence, I will never own a Glock. Not saying their bad guns. They do have their place,just not in mine.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00464b:
I'm 63 years old and been shooting for the last 40+ of those. And I've had or fired alot of firearms over the years. I I can tell you what absolute confidence, I will never own a Glock. Not saying their bad guns. They do have their place,just not in mine.

Welcome to the forum!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhh...I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

Smells like ..... a Glock.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm 63 years old and have been shooting for the last 40+ of those years.
And I've owned, handled, or fired a lot of firearms over the years.
I I can tell you, with absolute confidence, I will never own a Glock.
Not saying they're bad guns.
They do have their place, just not in mine.

You're not dead just yet, there is still a chance you'll come to your senses.. Eek

I'd suggest a G45, a G19 compact slide with a G17 full sized grip, no finger grooves.
17+1, or add a Glock +2 for 19+1.

In my truck console vault, I have a beater Gen 2 G17 with +2 ext.
20 rd gun with 2 17 rd spare mags.
54 rds ready to go with a nice defensive safe action trigger.

Thanks for chiming in, your input was more than valuable.. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1lowlife,

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Check out Steyr pistols. The other Austrian gun company. You might like them a little more.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I really like the skinny Glocks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I cut my handgun teeth on a 1911 and that's what I'm comfortable with. I've shot a number of friends' Glocks over the years. I like the reliability and simplicity of them, but I just could never seem to get used to the grip angle. A friend of mine just recently picked up a Polymer80 kit, and the grip angle on it is more like a 1911 than a Glock. I gotta admit, I'm tempted to get one.

Also, when I was shopping for a thinner lighter CCW pistol last year I played with a G43 and actually liked it except that the trigger was really squishy feeling. I wound up buying a S&W Shield, but the G43 made the short list and one with a better feeling trigger would likely have found it's way into my safe.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love 1911's.

Many 1911 afficianados simply will not believe that the Glock has the same grip angle, even when shown photographs with the grip angle overlayed, because they "feel" different." Never the less, the grip angles are the same.

The contour of the glock grip varies with the model and backstrap, but the grip angle doesn't change. The feel does, given the way it sits in the hand with differing back straps, palm swells, etc, and the location of the palm swell in relation to the palm varies from a subcompact such as a G26 to a compact such as the G19, to a full size such as the G17. Each sits in the hand differently thanks to the palm swell, but the grip angle remains the same, and matches the 1911.

Depending how one measures it, the angle may differ by a degree two, but is inconsequential. The difference is psychological.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What you're overlooking is that the arched mainspring housing effectively changes the grip angle of the 1911. This was the entire purpose of the change to the shape of the mainspring housing in the A1 version of the 1911. The arch pushes the lower edge of the rear portion of the grip forward against the heel of the hand, thus causing the muzzle to point higher, which, in effect, changes the grip angle to be less acute.

If you doubt this, try gripping- not pointing the muzzle amd aligning the sights- just gripping a 1911 with a flat MSH and then a 1911 with an arched MSH. When you then look at where the muzzle on each of these pistols is pointing, you'll find that the pistol with the arched MSH points higher.

The line you have drawn on the 1911A1 in your second pic does not take into account the effect of the arched MSH.

Glocks and 1911s point differently, and that is a fact. This is especially true with 1911s that have a flat MSH installed.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post